FRINGE - love it, hate it, don't care?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Fringe seems to be a sore spot for both cleaners and rug owners ... usually related to being "too long" (tassels too long, or too long in between cleanings).

FRINGESHOT.jpg

But when you come right down to it, fringe (usually) is cotton, and it simply needs a good ole scrubbing to get it looking better.

The problems I see usually come from people using bleach, or peroxide, and forgetting that these are not cleaning agents - so when it still looks grimey, they keep applying the harsh stuff on it.

Another problem I see is the quest to reach that bright white pristine look... which is just not natural.

Other than that - good all fiber shampoos, or cotton shampoos (though I don't like Haitian cotton smell - I'll use Masterblend's cotton shampoo), and warm/hot water (misting the edge of the wool with vinegar first to help alleviate wicking) - those all work well in cleaning fringe. At least in my experience.

I also like to mist/extract with some acid if I'm worried about any browning.

Any solutions you all like to use? I've heard Procyon works well, though I've not tried it.

Lisa

John Watson

With our process, for real dirty fringe, we mix 2 oz Boost all , 2 oz Buff all, 4 oz of shampoo to a gal of hot water. Spray an acid on the wool just above the kliem to help prevent color run and scrub by hand with a fairly stiff brush. Then rinse with an acid based rinse.

We also explaine to the client during the time we pick up the rug what to expect their fringe to look like when we return it. If it has vac damage or previous bleaching we explain this before hand. I let them know we will very seldom use a bleach on them.

We also will use procyon if needed. I have had some good results with it using it the way they recomend..

85% of the time we just heel our 175 and scrub the fringe the same time we are shampooing the face fibers and follow with an acid based rinse.

Good post Lisa..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Contrary to popular belief, alkaline solutions do not damage cotton fibers. Alkaline residues, especially when there are surfactants involved as well, can contribute to cellulose browning and color bleeding.

Some acids, including citric and oxalic acid, are more likely to weaken cotton than alkaline material, especially when applied hot.

So I can see why Procyon or related non detergent products would clean the fringe well. I'd still like to see the fringes rinsed with a cool volatile acid, such as a "fiber rinse" or acetic acid, afterward.

I'm with Lisa on bleaching fringes; unless they are terribly stained or show dye bleeding, "old off white" looks better than "bright white" that will likely also deteriorate prematurely.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
We are "such"....hAcKs... :oops:

We just carry an... OlD WooDeN FeNcE ... on the Truck for "FlUsHiNg".., :D

HARPERPIC094.jpg

rhyde

Name
rhyde
LisaWagnerCRS said:
The problems I see usually come from people using bleach, or peroxide, and forgetting that these are not cleaning agents - so when it still looks grimey, they keep applying the harsh stuff on it. Lisa

Isn’t that the truth? Spend more time in the wash results in less time dinking with the fringe that often equals less damage and mediocre results. We never use an acid rinse on fringe. Most of the time hot water is all that is needed to alleviate wicking/tip browning perhaps 10-20% need some form of fringe bleaching the product we most often we use the master blend fringe bleach.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I posted this question on all of the "big" boards ... including the rug hub.

I guess it's my way of checking out the crowds. I know some of you pop around all the BBs - but they seem to be some very distinct groups when you get into technical chat, some more inexperienced than others. Some more full of BS than others.

Some just jump right into a highjack and never get to answering the questions.

So... I'm pretty fresh to this crowd, but I like the actual "dialogue" that happens here, in between the giving each other crap.

Thanks for the answers on this.

Carolyn X-tol is also a good cleaning agent for fringe, and does not require rinsing. And I agree with the points made - using hot water can release a lot of soil all on its own ... just need to make sure you don't get too close to that wool and potentially bleed it.

I am not a fan at all of the fringe bleaches - because a GOOD clean removes the need for them.

Lisa

P.S. Jim - I have you in print agreeing with me - WATCH OUT! :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Carolyn X-tol is also a good cleaning agent for fringe, and does not require rinsing.
Wow we use to buy Carolyn by the 55-drum.
I didn't even know they still made it. :shock:

So... I'm pretty fresh to this crowd, but I like the actual "dialogue" that happens here, in between the giving each other crap.
I think I read that very same comment on at least 3-other boards! :p

:wink:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Don't they have any laws in Florida about some morons filling the soil with soapy shampoo ??

Do you also use a tennis racquet to beat/dust the rug on that same ole fence, Joe ?

I was also taught that almost all cases of dirty fringes after a cleaning were from incomplete cleaning.
However, I have seen bleach used in a few large east coast Rug Plants

Yes, each BB does have it's own distinctive personality.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I usually clean the fringe with the same pre spray I use on the rug followed by an acid rinse and drying with a turbo dryer.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yes, a good scrubbing with some of the products mentioned above cleans quite well.
And the haitian cotton different formulas do a good job as well and are already acidic.

However, how do you deal with distortion + opening (or un-twisting) of the fringes as a result of the scrubbing??

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
If the fringe is too fragile for scrubbing, or you are worried about untwisting strands (good question by the way...) - then you can use warm/hot water and help spray out the soil.

FRINGE-hotwaterspray.jpg

In this photo, you can't quite see - he is wearing a black electrician's glove to protect his hand and arm as he sprays hot water on the fringe to clean it.

Now... if the fringe is really bad .... you can charge $15-25 a linear foot and put some new fringe over the old. Problem solved! :)

Lisa

P.S. If you sprayed that shampoo on land in CA (I assume it's pretty harsh, because you have some gloves on...) - that would get you tossed by the CalOSHA troops. :)

Mikey P

Administrator
Let me guess

on ICS you got one reply from some bore named Con Shultz, on *** Tre shot a video of his himself telling you how awesome you are and got thanked 26 times for doing so and on the Rug Hub Dusty tried to sell you a fringe comb and John Watson drolled on for 8 paragraphs about how he invented the fringe comb.

Right?

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Great thread Lisa...how much should be charged for fringe cleaning? Lightly soiled to "trashed"....we've always have charged $2.00 per linear ft, but i'm guessing that's way on the low side? Thanx!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You know what's great about you Mike?

Its difficult to tell who your friends are and who your enemies are.

You torment them all equally.

What a guy!

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Mike - did you hack into my accounts??? :)

No... there have been some good posts elsewhere - just different.

As far as price... we include the fringe length fully in the length of the rug, so the square footage $4 per sq ft includes that fringe.

If the rug is Moroccan with braided long fringe, then we also (in addition to the length already covered by the wash price) add a linear $10 charge to unbraid, clean, and re-braid.

Though any long-haired men here I'm sure Terry would braid your hair for free.

xo,
Lisa

Bjorn

"I like coming here - I think you guys are a lot of fun. And this forum definitely does not get as negative as some of the others ... especially Mikey's board which just reeks of losers whenever I pop over there, it reminds me of my grandmother who only talks about what hurts and who's died and why the world is so horrible today and whenever you share good news she says "it won't last" ... yeah, that kind of energy suck simply sucks"

wonder who the real Loozer is Lisa

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Great convo. Most fringe gets blasted in the wash process (Ellen's term not mine!) Then if they brown out a little during drying, most of the time a quick acetic rinse ala MB All Fiber and a quick extraction. Even on most color runs, bleach should not be the first grab all. There are other special products for those situations that work without damaging the cotton. Or atleast not nearly as harsh to the cotton.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ah .. Ha..!!!!

HaRReiT & Lisa.... !gotcha!

Now you both know that ..gUrU's.."should NEVER assume.... :shock:

The cleint requested the rug be cleaned as an "add-on"...She was Quoted $250.00 to
have the rug Pit Washed. Her response was... :shock: ...

The rug was "Riddled with Cat Urine"...& The fibers were "Brittle" from NUMEROUS cleanings
with "Woolite" Rug cleaner..!!!! The rug smelled HORRIBLE...

She ask if there was anything we could do at a ChEaPeR price... :?: We told her we could
FLUSH the rug out & treat topically with Hydrocide & leave outside to DRY...for $150.00..
There would be "NO GUARENTEE"...&...She would have to "SIGN-OFF".. Thus the PICS.. :wink:

HARPERPIC087-2.jpg

HARPERPIC093-2.jpg

HARPERPIC094-1.jpg

HARPERPIC090-2.jpg

No sHaMpOO...here...The gloves are to protect the tech from the URINE... :roll:
Rug was vacuumed ...Flushed at 500 PSI... hot water...Fab-Set was metered @2gph...
Rug was then...Steam cleaned.Hydrocide was topically applied,and groomed & left to dry..

Customer was contacted the following day...Rug was still "Damp"...but cleint was :D
We have since cleaned the rug, in place with the RDM.It looks great..MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Carry on...
rUg HaCk
Harper... :oops:

No restrictions of waste dumping on PRIVATE PROPERTY..."in Pasco County Fl."
Must not be near ..lakes or ponds..or into storm drains... :wink:

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Nice post Hack. Foaming up urine - priceless.

Which reminds me... when I tell clients to not use products like Resolve and Oxyclean on their rugs, I also tell them not to grab Woolite either - because I've seen it migrate dyes and bleach out areas. In fact, I met a Woolite rep whose only job was to go around our region handling claims from their product.

Funny... it says it's safe for wool ... wonder if it's "wool-safe"?

Don't know who to trust these days...
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom