From vinyl plank back to carpet?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I stopped at a hotel the other day and scored a job cleaning all their chairs and couches. As the owner is giving me a tour of their facility, he mentions they will be renovating the entire building soon. And to my surprise he says he is going back to carpet after 5 years with vinyl plank!

His reasons were….
1. Dust was settling when the rooms were empty for a day or so and the floors would look dirty.
2. His staff is constantly mopping to eliminate #1.
3. The vinyl planks were starting to peel at the edges due to moisture from idiot staff using too much water while mopping.
4. Guests complained about the floor feeling sticky under bare feet from the mop residue.
5. He felt his labor costs from all the mopping was more than he had with vacuuming.
6. He noticed the lack of insulation provided by carpet. The old carpet reduced the noise of other guests significantly and he claimed he was using more energy to heat and cool the building.
7. He also felt that the look of the vinyl, fake wood planks was cold and uninviting.
8. He also felt carpet was less liability for slip and falls.

This guy bought into all of the hype about why he should install vinyl in his buildings, now he can’t wait to replace it. Could this be the start of a trend reversal?

* I think some of his problems could’ve been resolved with proper HVAC maintenance/duct cleaning and use of dust and microfiber flat mops, proper cleaning chemicals, and good staff training. But we all know the real world doesn’t always follow best practices.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
It doesn't matter how much they clean the HVAC.. Carpet is the biggest air filter in an occupied area to catch and trap the airborne dust.. This has been an all to familiar way of thinking for quite a bit of people.. We'd advise against going all hard surfaces because anytime you open a door, you stir up dust with nothing to catch it..

People have complained about carpet getting dirty and "think" it's the reason for their allergies, so they go to hard surfaces and quickly learn their conditions worsen.. Then they change back.. A few of the ones we advised needed to spend $60k for their "AHA" moment.. And the acoustics of carpet vs hard surfaces is one of the biggest ones.. For a hotel owner to change it out, doesn't seem like the sharpest mind.. Hopefully, you get paid quickly..

Anytime you go hard surface, you'll need to supplement with area rugs to help catch the dust..

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The place I bought this spring has plank everywhere. I hate it. Cold on the feet and living on the edge of a desert it's dusty as heck. The worst is the unheated marble in the master bathroom. I have to lace up my hockey skates to go pee.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I stopped at a hotel the other day and scored a job cleaning all their chairs and couches. As the owner is giving me a tour of their facility, he mentions they will be renovating the entire building soon. And to my surprise he says he is going back to carpet after 5 years with vinyl plank!

His reasons were….
1. Dust was settling when the rooms were empty for a day or so and the floors would look dirty.
2. His staff is constantly mopping to eliminate #1.
3. The vinyl planks were starting to peel at the edges due to moisture from idiot staff using too much water while mopping.
4. Guests complained about the floor feeling sticky under bare feet from the mop residue.
5. He felt his labor costs from all the mopping was more than he had with vacuuming.
6. He noticed the lack of insulation provided by carpet. The old carpet reduced the noise of other guests significantly and he claimed he was using more energy to heat and cool the building.
7. He also felt that the look of the vinyl, fake wood planks was cold and uninviting.
8. He also felt carpet was less liability for slip and falls.

This guy bought into all of the hype about why he should install vinyl in his buildings, now he can’t wait to replace it. Could this be the start of a trend reversal?

* I think some of his problems could’ve been resolved with proper HVAC maintenance/duct cleaning and use of dust and microfiber flat mops, proper cleaning chemicals, and good staff training. But we all know the real world doesn’t always follow best practices.
I have an apartment building like that. They replaced the carpet in the hallways with vinyl. Now if you whisper at one end of the hall, they can hear you at the other end.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Any pics?

I suspect it's not vinyl.
NO doubt the Yellow Devil mop "system" is being used..
No pics. It’s that grey plastic, fake wood plank. Looks like the adhesive is kinda failing around the edges in a few random places.

Mikey P

Administrator
No pics. It’s that grey plastic, fake wood plank. Looks like the adhesive is kinda failing around the edges in a few random places.

Good LVP doesnt peel..

If they bought junk planks and dont maintiain it correctly, what make them think carppet will be any eaiser...
They' already forgot what they were unhappy about with it..

wear, fugly, hard to keep looking clean, traffic lanes, spills and spots and stain...

lol...the circle of life.

Reactions: AlienAgent

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Figures, I JUST got my hard surface manual, (nice work by the way), now everybody is gonna go back to carpet.

My mindset is being messed with.

One thing is for sure. No matter what kind of floor is inside the house or building will have no effect on how much soil is tracked in from the outside. Carpets or LVT will always be there for us to clean.

This is a great trade to be in

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Our saving grace will be our nature to be both stupid and cheap when it comes to flooring purchases.

Garbage Vinyl and Porcelain products will cause the masses to circle back to garbage Carpeting.
I have an optical store that just went with vinyl for their showroom. They spend more time Damp mopping it than they ever did vacuuming the carpet that was there before. Now they want it shiny. Not going to happen from me.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Was here in 2013 for carpet cleaning. They got rid of carpet and put in wood and lvt. 2 Golden Retrievers.

65E8060D-5A0D-4F86-A23A-E8A89625A68D.jpeg
AF434652-9F90-427A-9442-236B3FDE1777.jpeg

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The "hardwood" is likely a hardwood veneer and the designer rug is hand loomed. Both poor choices with dogs - the floor finish shows wear the rug has holes in it.

Oh well, ongoing maintenance of some kind.

Reactions: Cleanworks

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Good LVP doesnt peel..

If they bought junk planks and dont maintiain it correctly, what make them think carppet will be any eaiser...
They' already forgot what they were unhappy about with it..

wear, fugly, hard to keep looking clean, traffic lanes, spills and spots and stain...

lol...the circle of life.
Dog chasing tail

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom