Frozen Pump on 2004 Vortex

Walt

The guy I sold my V to called me this morning. It got down to 5 degrees last night and the pump wouldn't work when he turned the machine on this morning. Blower would work, but when he engaged the pump it would bog the system down. He was worried that he might damage the pump so he didn't push it and rescheduled for tomorrow. He did have a heater in the truck last night, but I'm guessing it didn't wasn't hot enough.

Any ideas on what to do?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's a CAT 5CP and mounted darn near on the FLOOR
(stOOpit)
if not ON the floor as i recall.

Tell him to make sure it's "completely" thawed out before he tries to engage it, Walt.

he'll know whether it's jacked or not as soon as it's "completely" thawed and turned on.

It may or may not be toast.

.L.T.A.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
get him to gradually warm it up and it should be ok

I had to drive from Vancouver to Hillsboro the other day, it was 20 outside. Due to traffic the drive took an hour and my pump was froze when I got to the job

I let mine thaw and it is fine now but I am going to try and wrap it and the supply line with some insulation. As I look at how the machine is set up. Putting a heater in the box helps until you have to disconnect it. If it is cold outside and you have to drive any distance the pump is gonna freeze

or maybe buy a propane torch to heat it up before you turn it on at the last minute

I been gonna call Chuck at BlueLine to maybe get some feed back before wrapping the pump, or maybe ask Adam Hale what he did if anything

Larry, the pump is a little exposed. The floor is open from the pto belts and the pump sets near by so driving creates some air movement up to that area

steve g

Name
steve garrett
on my unit, hoses that are on the floor will freeze pretty much no matter how warm I keep the inside, I picked up some electric heat wire that plugs into an outlet zip tied it to my supply hoses and the bottom of the demand pump all of which is touching the floor or very close, I don't have a problem any more.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
he was smart to shut it down and not go any further with it..Good chance if he thaws it out real good it will be ok.....

Greenie

which brings a question: they must make a radiant heater that is powered by engine coolant that you could moutn near the pump, so when you are turcking down the road you have a fighting chance?

Or why not just use some diesel fired heaters that will actually keep the box above freezing, one or two strategically placed could save the day with an insulated floor...maybe not is -20º weather but would help in 5º weather.

SuperFly

Insulation.. blue windshield fluid everyday.. 750W inverter for a heater next to your pump on low When your traveling a long way..

:roll:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Greenie, Just got my box heater today, will post pictures tomorrow. It is a 65,000btu heater that will run off the antifreeze loop.

Spurling

I wonder if you can put a T with a shut off drain valve after the pump .. when youre done with the job, you would then drain all the water out of the pump and lines ..would that work? If not, maybe find a way to circulate the water with out running the machine.

Greenie

ronbeatty said:
Greenie, Just got my box heater today, will post pictures tomorrow. It is a 65,000btu heater that will run off the antifreeze loop.

I know I'd rather have that for a solution than what Gman posted, the winshield fluid daily or even twice daily sounds like a pita.

Living in Cali has a few perks.

of course i just heard on the radio that Riverside county has 10% unemployment rate. :shock:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Spurling said:
I wonder if you can put a T with a shut off drain valve after the pump .. when youre done with the job, you would then drain all the water out of the pump and lines ..would that work?

tough to do as a practical matter.
I think i recall Tony mentioning he blew his TM lines out with compressed air.

Ron has the right idea, if you ask me.
They make heaters for the cabs of heavy equipment that are essentially a stand alone heater core and blower

how much cold air comes thru the hole the PTO belts run thru?
Going down the road at 60 MPH must push mucho cold air in, No?

..L.T.A.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Here are the pictures of the heater and a cover I had made for the pump. I am going to install the heater over the weekend. I will post pictures when I am done. I think I might try to run a loop of radiator hose from the heater return around the head on the pump.
100_1283.jpg
100_1282.jpg
100_1288.jpg
100_1290.jpg

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
We sell the 65,000 BTU heaters with many Vs. It keeps the box really warm when driving down the road.

Walts friend's truck froze while sitting in the drive way at night. 5 degress here.

Several guys in the area had freezing problems.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Waiting for the rest of my parts to install the heater. UPS delivered 1 box yesterday, none today. Boxes where shipped from Blueline the same day. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom