Frustration with internet advertising for carpet cleaning

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Re: Frustration with internet advertising for carpet cleanin

sam miller said:
Dave it's only bs if You can't back it up. They will never now unless they try You.

No it's still bullshit.

Because the other 5 cleaners they called said the same stuff.

"I'm the best bla...bla.... bla...bla... bla...and bla some more"

It don't mean squat to a prospect.

It goes in on ear and out the other.

They can't try 5 cleaners to see who is lying or not.

So, since they can't, it's better to judge your company from the experiences of your past clients.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard

I agree saying your good is worthless. However the image you present will portray that you are good. High quality site, clean logo'd vans, and high quality pictures will give the customer comfort that you will do a high quality job. Remember the old saying.... A picture is worth a thousand words.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

got another call today with a lady wanting 3 rooms and steps done...told her it would be between $140-180 then she said she saw "someone that will clean 3 rooms and a hall for $80"...i told her she's going to get what she pays for and she politely said she may call back. I may have to hire Full Circle soon...I'm gonna lose it one day. Was curious who it was and saw someone advertising on the sponsored part....$29 for 2 rooms

like i originally was saying: hacks advertising their lowball prices for the entire world to see on the internet dumbs down everything...luckily there are several other avenues to travel down when it comes to getting new business

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell

Royal Man said:
[quote="sam miller":cwzq64y4]Dave it's only bs if You can't back it up. They will never now unless they try You.

No it's still bullshit.

Because the other 5 cleaners they called said the same stuff.

"I'm the best bla...bla.... bla...bla... bla...and bla some more"

It don't mean squat to a prospect.

It goes in on ear and out the other.

They can't try 5 cleaners to see who is lying or not.

So, since they can't, it's better to judge your company from the experiences of your past clients.[/quote:cwzq64y4]

You can always try the line so many in the "iicrc" like to use "Do you want quality or price".

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Bee Busy said:
got another call today with a lady wanting 3 rooms and steps done...told her it would be between $140-180 then she said she saw "someone that will clean 3 rooms and a hall for $80"...i told her she's going to get what she pays for and she politely said she may call back. I may have to hire Full Circle soon...I'm gonna lose it one day. Was curious who it was and saw someone advertising on the sponsored part....$29 for 2 rooms

like i originally was saying: hacks advertising their lowball prices for the entire world to see on the internet dumbs down everything...luckily there are several other avenues to travel down when it comes to getting new business

I guess that's better than doing the job and they expect you to honor a competitor's coupon.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

Hoody said:
Bee Busy said:

I guess that's better than doing the job and they expect you to honor a competitor's coupon.
:lol: I've had several people call asking that...if was so fargin insulted...like i'm running a burger joint or clothing store...unbelieveable

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

Bill, it is a completely mindset from tile/stone work. Has nothing to do with the industry, you have to change...

I also have had to adjust coming from commercial and tile work, carpet is more retail {think mall} and tile/commercial is more contractor {think roofing}.
Not 100% true but for smaller contractors like us, it is.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

Shane Deubell said:
Bill, it is a completely mindset from tile/stone work. Has nothing to do with the industry, you have to change...

I also have had to adjust coming from commercial and tile work, carpet is more retail {think mall} and tile/commercial is more contractor {think roofing}.
Not 100% true but for smaller contractors like us, it is.
yeah i agree with ya Shane...it's tough because cleaning carpet is easy work and used to pay well without the "confusion" about price...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

ya ya Dave.
I never tell anyone I'm the best, and I don't tell them I am "better" without first explaining how and why. Once I lay out the criteria for what they can expect I can tell them how I am better.

You're right that everyone is saying the same thing. THAT becomes the main problem in marketing. Sure, letting clients do the talking and selling works great. I just had a client that is moving talk the new owners into the Best cleaning.

I just did a local home show yesterday and I would explain my pricing and my methods, people understood cause I keep it simple. Handed out a lot of cards, planted a lot of seeds.
Took a LONG time but I'm not ashamed to charge 55/sf, and I do have the budget levels (just had to figure out how to market those without devaluing the REAL cleaning) and if that is still too high I've no problem referring them to someone cheaper.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard

saying you are better is one thing. But being able to convey that to a customer without saying that will get you the most work.

To begin with you need a usp. That stands for unique selling position. How are you different? What steps do you do that the cheap cleaners don't that will attract the type of customers you want? If you look at the industry you will see many large franchises that are based off a usp. Chemdry, they claim that the carpets will dry fast and associate the cleaning process with a dry cleaner because high end people get their clothes dry cleaned. zero-res they associate their cleaning with a no residue system that stays clean longer.

For marketing, online or off, you need to start with a usp, something you do different or better. Do you have a large machine that helps the carpets dry faster? Do you have a guarantee that is different that will give the right customers comfort that you will do a great job? Are you owner operated ensuring that the customer will get a highly trained tech that will care more than an employee?

Things that drive me crazy when I go to websites of cleaners. Truckmounted... Nearly everyone is nowadays and that doesn't separate you from the competition. " satisfaction guarantee" again everyone has this and doesn't separate you from the competition.

step one: determine what you do the best and that you think the customer would appreciate the most.
step two. Highlight that one thing in your marketing and follow through with being the best at that thing.

Usp's I have noticed

Dry fast
residue free
green cleaning
Furniture moving included
Carpets that stay clean longer "thats mine"
rotary extraction
12 step process

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom