Fuel Tap 2003-2005

Becker

Name
Becker
New install?

If the TM you are installing had EFI confirm this tap is designed for EFI, Mine have 2 pick up " straws " however that might just be so you can use either or as the pick up and return.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It's a whole kit. Each kit has a DOT sticker I doubt highly they would offer one part and take the risk of the rest be bad.

Becker

Name
Becker
So you saying you can't order any replacement parts for any devices with safety protection?

That does not seem right, or environmentally green.

We've got no room for boring.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It's my opinion but yes I would expect since the roll over is part of the total package that is dot and EPA certified that I do not believe they would sell just one part since it is the total kit that is certified. If you think about the liability it makes sense at least to me I'll call them tomorrow and ask them.

Reactions: Spurlington

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
New install?

If the TM you are installing had EFI confirm this tap is designed for EFI, Mine have 2 pick up " straws " however that might just be so you can use either or as the pick up and return.

No .. Im tired of filling the gas tank and using a towel to keep the splash back to a minimum or not filling all the way - because the flapper is what keeps the gas from splashing out of the filler neck when full

So you saying you can't order any replacement parts for any devices with safety protection?

That does not seem right, or environmentally green.

We've got no room for boring.

Not green environmentally but big green for replacement profits ..

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I wonder if anyone has ever removed a fuel tap kit from a vehicle no longer in service .. I've never seen a used one for sale .. seems it'd be profitable since you can remove 1 in half an hr .. anyone know of any other service requiring the use of a fuel tap kit the way we do ( not aux tank gravity into tank style) ..

I like to buy things without the high price " convenience" charge .. like the pollution solution auto pump out .. I think it's $900 .. I made my own set up with the same pump for about $150 .. are you saying the plastic is what drives up the price .. I can get a big wheel with more plastic for about $100 too .. gees

Caveman buys a square rock for a chicken .. he chisels it into a wheel .. he figures now you can go faster so he sells for 20 chickens

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It's not practical at all to remove one of these kits. Nevermind the labor, you would have to go out an buy a replacement fill hose for the van you were removing it from. More importantly, there is the certification decal on the door frame. Just try and get that off, to re-use (probably not possible or legal). Here in California that certification decal is necessary to pass biennial emissions testing.

John is probably right. It would surprise me if the manufacturer would sell a replacement roll-over valve. Heck, they even require signed release statements for the parts they do list (the flapper is NOT listed). Thye simply would not want to be in the legal loop if ever the valve's installation/function was questioned after an accident.

If you want to know why these things are expensive, you can thank the government for creating a bureaucracy to keep you safe. There are valid arguments for and against.

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I sold a van years ago and removed the kit and replaced the gap with a pipe between the rubber hoses and was good to go .. (thats how I know how simple it is to do) I guess the liabilty issue restricts the use of simple ideas .. I still think its bull not to sell a part that is a part of its own as a replacement/repair part .. thanks for the input !!

I had this mechanic install this in my van .. one day, I went to the gas station and I could not get the gas to flow for the fill .. it kept shutting off as if I were full .. I had to add gas at about a penny at a time .. (or so it seemed) .. I called the mechanic and asked why this was happening after his install .. he said rip off the flapper .. I get to the point where the flapper is visible, I pinch it with my needle nose and rip it off .. as Im reconnecting the filler neck I realize what an idiot I was not to discover beforehand that the neck was too long for the addition of my kit .. the neck was so tight against the kit opening I could see how the neck would have prevented the flapper from opening to allow gas flow when filling .. I chop 2 inches off the neck just to ease my installation into the rubber connector .. so that is how I end up with a flapperless kit ..

Reason for this short story - as Im researching I found an old thread of a few with the problem of delivering gas to their tank after an install .. I saw many ideas but not what I came up with .. it was the Christian Dunn from Colorado thread .. he bought a new ElDiablo and had this issue ..

Name
Shawn Forsythe
...the filler neck I realize what an idiot I was not to discover beforehand that the neck was too long for the addition of my kit .. the neck was so tight against the kit opening I could see how the neck would have prevented the flapper from opening to allow gas flow when filling ..

That is the 2nd most common mistake made when installing these kits. The installer doesn't check to make sure that when assembled, that nothing interferes with the valve mechanism. The first most common mistake is dip tube placement. One has to take care that the depth, placement, and the orientation of the dip tube is correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom