Fuel Tap Woes

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Just wondering if any other folks here have had problems with fuel taps. Recently, I had my Boxxer 421 put into an extended Chevy 2500. After the fuel tap was put in, fueling has become a problem.

Now that the tap is in, there's too much back pressure when trying to fill the van's tank. I have to stand there and barely let the fuel trickle in or else the pump shuts off. It would easily take me half an hour to fill the tank.

Have any of you ever had this type of issue?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Who put the tap in? Sounds like the rollover ball is above the tap. Take it back and have them do it right.

danpauselius

When I first had my TM installed, I had a bunch of problems regarding the fuel tap. Slow filling was just the beginning. I had a tap that sat under my fuel tank sending unit so the gage would never show less than a half tank (ran out of fuel on the NYS Thruway at midnight, that was fun). Had it reinstalled, now it was above the sending unit so the gage always showed empty. (Caught that one fast and had it done again while I waited)

So far, with the new truck, I haven't had any problems relating to the fuel tap.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Not usually. If the tap was bad it would be obvious and you wouldn't put it in. The only thing that would cause the problem your having is the installation or it could be they used the wrong kit which is still an installation issue.

Name
steve snail
Dirk,

I have the damn problem errrrrr! Let me know when you find the cure. In the meantime some pumps have a hair trigger release, some don't. Try different ones until you find one that works reasonably well. Sometimes if I lift the handle as I pump the gas it will work better. Total pain in the ass though.

Name
steve snail
John.

What is the rollover ball? And what would be the correct installation in relationship to said ball?

Thanks!

Fuel Tap

The thing with the new Chevy van's is the filler neck is very small, 1''. Once you put the kit on, and it has a tube that goes down the filler neck, it restricts the flow of gas going down the tank. I've been making a tap kit myself that has a very small tube, and it seems to be working good.
I will send you one and see if it will help your problem. The whole devise is made out of copper and it does not cost me a lot to make one.
I plan on making 10 on Monday after Thanksgiving, or if this is a big problem, I can possibly make you one tomorrow.

Thanks,
Les

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I guess there's no sense in taking it back to the same place again. I'd try someone else and eat the expense.

Albert

Name
steve snail
Les,

I have the Chevy 2500 also. For crying out loud, take a couple of well deserved days off and send one out to me when you can.

Thanks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dirk;

As Les stated above, the newer Vans only have a 1" tube for gas flow.

When you have 1 or 2 (fuel injection) 1/4" elbows inside that 1" tube, there is not much flow capability for the gasoline.

There is also the anti-rollover valve which restricts flow in addition.

EPA has a lot of restrictions on any alterations to the gas system.
This is because of gas emission regulations.

Larry

Al

The wrong kit was installed in mine and it did the same thing, a different kit fixed it.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Les, we can certainly manage until after the holiday. Hopefully it works. My main worry is that my distributor won't be willing to install it. It's certainly not within my comfort range to do it myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom