Funny how things work out.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Sometimes you get slapped upside the head even when you think you have everything taken care of. That's just life.

I blew a valve cover gasket a few days ago. Not much of a problem. I only had small little two jobs a day days since then, so the oil mess it caused was my only worry. I could wait for the part to come in. I just wanted it fixed by tomorrow because I have a 10 hour job scheduled tomorrow and a 6 hour job on Saturday. I didn't like the idea of running it that long without it fixed.

Gasket came in today. Not much trouble to fix, and the valves on my Kohler are not adjustable, so no worries there. I installed the new gasket, cleaned up the burnt oil all over the machine, changed oil, filter , air filter and spark plugs. Got her all dolled up and ready for the big dates.

I had a little commercial job to do this afternoon and sent my boy to do it, while I worked around the farm. He shows back up about an hour later and asks if we have two blower belts. Both blew halfway through the job. I said no problem. I always keep spares. Went to get them and they're not any! I remembered I replaced the blower belts a few months back, because they were about two years old, just for precautionary measures. I forgot to reorder spares!

It will be Monday before new belts can gat here from TCS, and I get to spend the day tomorrow hoping to find some locally in hopes of salvaging my week. Sure hope Grainger in Montgomery has a set. They're not standard belts you can find at Auto Zone.

If I had bought a new van last summer like I knew I should, I would have a back up.

I hope I can find some by lunch tomorrow, so I won't miss my nap.

This has been a moment with the Admiral.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry man! Hope it gets better for you.

It does suck but it happens to us all one time or another. I had a Butler blower lose timing. Ordered a new one and it arrived but distributor was too busy to get it in. We get pipe breaks last week and that unit would been nice to have. It will be done tomorrow but we don't need it now.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Sometimes you get slapped upside the head even when you think you have everything taken care of. That's just life.

I blew a valve cover gasket a few days ago. Not much of a problem. I only had small little two jobs a day days since then, so the oil mess it caused was my only worry. I could wait for the part to come in. I just wanted it fixed by tomorrow because I have a 10 hour job scheduled tomorrow and a 6 hour job on Saturday. I didn't like the idea of running it that long without it fixed.

Gasket came in today. Not much trouble to fix, and the valves on my Kohler are not adjustable, so no worries there. I installed the new gasket, cleaned up the burnt oil all over the machine, changed oil, filter , air filter and spark plugs. Got her all dolled up and ready for the big dates.

I had a little commercial job to do this afternoon and sent my boy to do it, while I worked around the farm. He shows back up about an hour later and asks if we have two blower belts. Both blew halfway through the job. I said no problem. I always keep spares. Went to get them and they're not any! I remembered I replaced the blower belts a few months back, because they were about two years old, just for precautionary measures. I forgot to reorder spares!

It will be Monday before new belts can gat here from TCS, and I get to spend the day tomorrow hoping to find some locally in hopes of salvaging my week. Sure hope Grainger in Montgomery has a set. They're not standard belts you can find at Auto Zone.

If I had bought a new van last summer like I knew I should, I would have a back up.

I hope I can find some by lunch tomorrow, so I won't miss my nap.

This has been a moment with the Admiral.

Hopefully fixed now. Murphy suggests you not discard old removed belts until new ones are in hand. Should never take more than ten minutes to swap.

Good you have 2nd van.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Im sure you know this but hydraulic hose tractor repair type places should have it also.

The place i go to repair the ends of my pressure hose had thousands hanging on the wall.

Boy, youre busy for early jan. Im jealous, I hope i can work that much when im a hundred.

Reactions: KevinL

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Back up and running by 12:00 Noon.
Man I am good ...

If you have the o-ring style valve cover gasket they flatten out and leak in no time.
Clean the surfaces real well with a solvent and run a small bead of high temp silicone
around the inside and outside edges or the o-ring before reinstalling.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get a new or nearly new van, a new cleaning unit and set it up so she's ready to go for years....then hand it over to junior.

Then tinker around with the old truck so she it tip top again and she will make an excellent back up or second unit for big jobs when you lazy ass has to get up off the sofa. :rockon:You old truck still looks nice and other than you, no one will know its the "old truck".

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I always keep spares. Went to get them and they're not any! I remembered I replaced the blower belts a few months back, because they were about two years old, just for precautionary measures. I forgot to reorder spares!

If you did replace the old belts because they were old, you should have kept them as an emergency back up. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If you did replace the old belts because they were old, you should have kept them as an emergency back up. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

I don't use old belts. I buy two sets so I'll have a new set waiting. I have always kept a set of belts and a spare fuel pump on hand. How I forgot it last time is a good question. I have a spare set now.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
If you'd have kept the old set, as several here suggested due to our experience, you'd have either been REMINDED to buy new ones, or at least been up and running in ten minutes.

You are a forgetful old man now....like us. We are trying to help, if that is even possible.

Pee Ess: Do you have a NEW set right NOW in hand as backup? New belts break too.
edit: I see your edit now
:-)
Lee

Able 1

Name
Keith
JHC what kind of over complicated POS are you running? I have to change the oil on my Prochem tomorrow..

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I don't use old belts. I buy two sets so I'll have a new set waiting. I have always kept a set of belts and a spare fuel pump on hand. How I forgot it last time is a good question. I have a spare set now.

I bet you would have used those old belts this time. :razz:

hogjowl

Idiot™
JHC what kind of over complicated POS are you running? I have to change the oil on my Prochem tomorrow..

I must assume that question was directed at me?

I dare say, I am the least likely HWE cleaner here to warrant such inaccurate and unkind words, as there is not a simpler, more dependable, nor better built unit on the market today than the TCS rig that I own.

You would do yourself well to make your next TM a TCS.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I must assume that question was directed at me?

I dare say, I am the least likely HWE cleaner here to warrant such inaccurate and unkind words, as there is not a simpler, more dependable, nor better built unit on the market today than the TCS rig that I own.

You would do yourself well to make your next TM a TCS.

First off LMAO!
No chance in hell I would want to go through what you are, your truckmount seems to be problematic as far as what I have seen in your posts..

Well then, how many hours do you have on your unit? What problems at what hours have you had?

For a starter TM a Prochem Peak is second to NONE! Mine has 4,500 hours and still ticking(I kind of want it to die, so I can replace the motor during winter), it WON'T die!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Simpleton? Possibly. However, I am not totally stupid. My belts are unusual and not often found at typical auto parts repair places. Grainger is the first place to look, outside of TCS.

The only problems I have had with my TM are engine related. I have had one blown head gasket at 1500 hours (which is not too bad, considering the heavy usage I put on it) and a blown valve cover gasket at 2500 hours. While annoying, both of these engine problems are typical.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Simpleton? Possibly. However, I am not totally stupid
Really? :p

The only problems I have had with my TM are engine related. I have had one blown head gasket at 1500 hours (which is not too bad, considering the heavy usage I put on it) and a blown valve cover gasket at 2500 hours. While annoying, both of these engine problems are typical.
A lot of what we use in this industry are air cooled powerplants while they are cheaper and work well, they do take some serious abuse in our application. Even lawn mowers are outside not trapped running inside a hot van. :winky:

3500-5000 hours and you've done well with it and should have motor replacement in the back of your mind.

I'd much rather have liquid cooled and get a little long life out of it but then that's a personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom