Furniture tacks, question for Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey @Jim Pemberton

My recent cleaning of these linen chairs got me thinking about brass tacks..

IMG_20170202_105828.jpg

Is there a way to test (the countless variety) tacks to see if rust is going to be an issue?

I know it's best to not get moisture near them but as you, I and Murphy know, spots always happen in between them...

and if rust occurs, how do you correct it with out causing more?

DecorativeNailBaordBottom.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Abbey

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
In the old days we sprayed an oily solvent on steel ones specifically, to coat them just enough to get through the cleaning, and then wiped them afterwards. That was so long ago, and I am so old now, I don't remember what it was we used. I'm guessing it may have been Pyratex.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Wd40 will probably cause resoiling.

As Tom mentioned, a dry solvent spotter or solvent based protector will work.

Most rust on cellulose fibers will come out with citric acid, though rust is pretty rare these days.

Reactions: T Monahan

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
not WD40?
Clear silicone will do it. But if over done can be an oily mess. I used to only do it on the old tuck and roll natural velvets.

Low moisture in thoses areas will prevent it. Then just buff it dry with a towel. I've never had an issue with rust. Browning if anything just because can't vacuum across it very well.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
"if rust occurs, how do you correct it with out causing more" we can not source it now locally but best product we had for natural fibres was phosphoric acid. ( Think it was a USA product - called Safeway Rust Remover) Any residual a dab of hydrofluoric on a cotton bud.
roro

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
odorless mineral spirits (oms) spray on first and it forms a moisture barrier. Dry well afterward. Tom, we used to mix a water based detergent with Pyratex to make a semi wet spotter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom