Garage Built TM/Boredom Should I...?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I have pretty nice Hesco unit that has a 4cyl. Ford that is propane powered. The engine is clean and runs like a champ. I'm thinking about a project for fun but would need some help.

Who are the homemade TM gurus here? I needs a lotta help here...

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Post us some photos of the engine you're wanting to pilfer.

You could simply use the frame as a basis on witch to built the TM, that will make most of the engineering simpler.

Then you will need a stub shaft bolted to the back of the motor for pulleys to drive your Blower & Pump.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Post us some photos of the engine you're wanting to pilfer.

You could simply use the frame as a basis on witch to built the TM, that will make most of the engineering simpler.

Then you will need a stub shaft bolted to the back of the motor for pulleys to drive your Blower & Pump.

Alright, I've found some info about the engine. What I have is a VSG 411, which is 1.1 liter/67 CID. There are some good and bad things about the engine. First, it is set up for propane and runs like a top. It only weights 220lbs, which is cool. The thing I am not sure of is if the HP is sufficient for anything significant.

http://www.northernpowerproducts.com/downloads/products/NPP20081223095702246.pdf

It basically looks like this:

111044106.jpg

Right now it is connected to a generator and has a heater and suction trash pump wired to it for cleaning out manholes for utility companies.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks like our air compressor for soda blasting.

It might be a lot of work to get where you want to be. We had a Steam Genie that ran off a propane fired Onan. Worked really well until she got some age on her. Then we fought carbon loaded heads forever.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I'm sure it will be a bunch of work. I'm just screwing around with it for fun.

From the tech people I have talked to it seems that the Ford 1.1 is a very reliable engine with plentiful, cheap parts. It is a very simple set up on the inside.

I'm just not up to speed on HP/torque and all of that required to turn a blower. Heck, right now I'm just exploring.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Seems to me you would be better off selling that unit, and purchasing a carpet cleaning machine. jmo

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Seems to me you would be better off selling that unit, and purchasing a carpet cleaning machine. jmo

I've got 3 truck mounts. It is not like I am running out of machines. I just enjoy projects, so I'm trying to figure out if this is one I want to tackle.

J

JS41035

Just buy a new Everest. Then take it apart and put it back together. No wait. Tear off all the heat exchangers and add a propane heater. Now your an engineer.

Reactions: Jeremy N

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've got 3 truck mounts. It is not like I am running out of machines. I just enjoy projects, so I'm trying to figure out if this is one I want to tackle.
I'll save you a bunch of time.

Send me a check for $2,000.00 I'll keep you updated on its progress and after a few months I'll tell you it didn't work out. Oh I don't need the trailer, engine or any of it. Just the 2K. :biggrin:

:p

Reactions: Jeremy N

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Mike Draper

I personally wouldnt run anything higher than a 407-408 blower. both of those blowers run at 3600 rpm's max. They take 20 hp and a pump will take 1.5. For every 1000ft in altitude you will lose 3% horsepower and for every 10 degress over 85 you will lose another 2-3% hp. It may run great at 3600 rpm without a load, but what is the torque like? I know my 25 hp kohler propane unit struggled with my 408 blower at my altitude. My gas 35 HP engine runs perfect. Only drops about 150 rpm at 15hg. Its the perfect power, torque ratio for that blower-pump combo. You cant run a blower and pump that require 35 hp on an engine that puts out 35hp. Even though the HP is equal, you wont have enough power it will be greatly underpowered. I would follow what the manufactures are doing with their motors and blower combo's. They've done a lot of R&D on the required power. Sapphire and prochem both run 32-35 hp for a 408 blower. They also under turn the blower by 20-25% by using largers pulley's. a 1.1 litre motor is also close to the size of the Nissan AW 12 motor that prochem used to use. They ran the 405 blowers with that and the 408 blowers went in to the AW-15 nissan which was a 1.5 L engine. Ford could just be fudging the HP ratio a little. 1.1L just doenst make sense that its a 44hp engine, especially considering its propane. Check the torque as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom