Gas vs Diesel in a NPR/LCF type trucks, opinions please

Mikey P

Administrator
Lets hear the pros and cons and of each and what you'd buy again.
Who has both?

Keep in mind that I have some serious hills to climbs a few times a week and I'm sure I'll be loading the box up close to it's GVWR.

But, I do very little freeway driving.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If you are going to go with another low cab forward, you need to get as close to 200 horsepower as you can to get over the hills with ease.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our LCF kicks our NPR in the ass but we don't have a Commercial Ford Truck dealer in town. Everytime we have had an issue, even warranty we have to factor in two men, two vehicles and two trips to KC. thathurts Most of the time I just pay locally what would have been warranty of reduced cost at the dealership.

Our LCF handles better, the cab is built much more solid, but it's diesel. The diesel's have cost me more in maintenance and repairs.

When I was looking at it, diesel was cheaper, then I buy it and diesel has been higher ever since.

The NPR gas have been pretty much problem free, they are built cheap and the shake and rattle and bump down the road but have not cost any more than any other vehicle as far as repairs and maintenance.

I'd have to drive one of the newer NPRs to see if they have improved as much as the LCF. If they have, I'd tend to lean towards the NPR gas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
There are lots of them, maybe not as steep as yours but we have them.

It's such a trade off, you buy a truck with enough power to climb the steep hills and then you'll pay for it big time in fuel economy. The turbo boost would help for the hills, maybe diesel in your situation?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
If you're driving long distances the diesel rig might (?) squeeze some more mph. Diesel drive trains exist because of their longevity track record and ability to take abuse. The repairs can be significantly more expensive then gas. They stink compared to gas and are louder.

For a cleaning rig around town I would personally choose a gas rig. It's quieter, easier on the pocket book for oil changes and won't stink in close quarters like condo complexes and driveways where there's a fence or structure holding in the exhaust gases. I'd never get an exhaust pipe (especially a diesel) near an open garage.

I've got family in auto sales for 30+ years and I'm cautioned that cab forwards (used ones) get abused beyond belief and it's common for them to have very little maintenance. They're owned by companies who don't care about maintenance and driven by hourly folks who beat them up. Often way behind of fluid changes. I came real close to purchasing one till I found out the condition when I went to look at them.

Don't be in a hurry and hopefully the one you might consider has a maintenance record from a local or regional shop.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
mikey if you are looking at hill climbing ability, look at the torque ratings for both engines, pretty much disregard HP because pulling a load it doesn't really matter. also keep in mind that the torque the diesel does put out will be right in the RPM you do most of your driving, so if torque numbers are equal, the nod still goes to the diesel because it doesn't have to rev to do it.

07-10 model diesel engines in every manufacturer had to run a diesel particulate filter, they also had to turn up the EGR which basically runs more exhaust back through the engine, while I haven't ran and NPR or LCF with the DPF setup I can tell you that ford, chevy and dodge all had alot of problems with this early DPF setup, the fuel mileage was also down in some cases more than 50%. these vintage of engines are chocked down, soot the oil, and basically don't run as well, as much as I hate to say it, I might be tempted to go with a gas motor if I wanted a fairly new used truck, or buy a pre 06 diesel.

the new diesels that run DEF, diesel exhaust fluid run a hell of a lot better and get just as good if not better fuel mileage than even the pre DPF trucks. I am not sure if isuzu have upgraded their trucks to the DEF setup yet though, dodge still hasn't, and their fuel mileage still sucks.

also I don't know if you drive in higher altitude but if you do, the turbo on the diesel engine will loose ALOT less power as the altitude rises compared to a gas engine. it will be a big factor once you start getting above 6000 ft. gas motor looses 3%/thousand feet a turbo motor looses have that if that.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I have BOTH...!

For the terrain & loads you will be carrying...The Diesel is a "NO BRAINER"

You need the torque & especially the exhaust brake...!!!

The unit Foster has found...06... is the way to go... !gotcha!
Don't look back...! You have a power-train warranty to 100K...
Build a custom box..&.. "clean some showers".. :mrgreen:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Doc Holliday said:
Our LCF kicks our NPR in the ass but we don't have a Commercial Ford Truck dealer in town. Everytime we have had an issue, even warranty we have to factor in two men, two vehicles and two trips to KC. thathurts Most of the time I just pay locally what would have been warranty of reduced cost at the dealership.

Our LCF handles better, the cab is built much more solid, but it's diesel. The diesel's have cost me more in maintenance and repairs.

When I was looking at it, diesel was cheaper, then I buy it and diesel has been higher ever since.

The NPR gas have been pretty much problem free, they are built cheap and the shake and rattle and bump down the road but have not cost any more than any other vehicle as far as repairs and maintenance.

I agree with Richard a hundred percent.

Mikey I will call you
I'd have to drive one of the newer NPRs to see if they have improved as much as the LCF. If they have, I'd tend to lean towards the NPR gas.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
6.0 has tons of power Mike!! Sucks gas big time. We lots of hills here where we work. I never have had a diesel, so I cant speak on its behalf. I have a the WT3500, should got the 4500, but didnt think that far outside the box.. Kicks ass over a van as you know already.

Good luck

Vince

This is what a gas truck is like !!!!

u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNszt39F3nsu]

This is what a diesel is like !!!

u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_a369450Uu]

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Leslie Judson Jones said:
Chevy 350 Master Kit
Part #: EK1070
Price: $189.99

r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVmOBh7K_kr]

ok so the 189 for the parts, and how much to go through the engine to replace parts !dork! !dork! !dork! !dork! !dork!

I am looking into a diesel with CNG injection.....

But I am going back to a truck trailer combo, when i pull the trigger.....just tired of not having a truck around or another vehicle that can hold more then 2.....and really, i dont feel like having a 3rd car expense.....so back to the Truck Trailer combo i go

Walt

Have you decided on what you are going to put in it?

If it's gas TM then get a gas machine.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Mikey P said:
I know this is a silly question but do you have hills to climb out there in kansas?
HINO You should have waited till 05. Try using the shoulder :lol: 145 horses ,Hell your bike has that.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the gas motor produces less than 380# of torque at 4000 rpm, in case you didn't know thats reving the motor pretty good to even produce that. the diesel produces 441 from 1800-2600 thats a pretty darn fat torque curve. the diesel will seem like its not breaking near the sweat to pull the load.

the extra cost of the diesel engine is for the most part recouped at resale time. I looked at buying a gas pickup truck once for pulling my trailer, even with diesel .50 more and with the initial costs about 7 grand more, it still saved me many thousands of $$ by going diesel.

but the thing with a gas motor is when all the gas stations run out of gas. you can make fuel by adding moth balls to water/ salt and vinegar and drive the gas truck

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Leslie Judson Jones said:
but the thing with a gas motor is when all the gas stations run out of gas. you can make fuel by adding moth balls to water/ salt and vinegar and drive the gas truck

The thing with diesel, is when the stations run out...you can go get fryer oil, filter it and run it.... shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

or ATF ifn ya want

or damn near anything else flamable cut with something else....

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
buy gas mike
diesels are a real pain here of late with all the new emissions stuff on them.
i bet ya you can buy a complete gas motor for the same price as a big malfunction in the erg system on a diesel these days.
then service is normally really slow in a diesel dept also
but i have not had any dealings with the small diesels just the big ones but the same techn i would think.
cya Rd

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Diesel.

They run cooler. More HP. It all comes down to the rear and and tranny gearing.

I remember years back driving a 1 ton Dodge Cummins with a 5" ball. We pulled 6" steel well casing (yeah up several long hills) and ALWAYS overweight.

I have made drive shafts into licorice twists, overheated, ran em out of oil, and they're still kicking at 500K.

They just run too well. Regardless of gas costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom