General float(waterbox) question??? How do ya tell...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
View attachment 5203View attachment 5202

Soooo, if this float has water in it... Some should come out while sitting, right? I'm getting none(all different positions).

My waterbox doesn't seem to be filling as much, trying to find out if this is the issue.

The float does seem to be heavy for what it is. Maybe it's just the stainless. Tried rocking it, spinning it, listening for water. Just can't tell.

One more question, can a plastic ball float replace this SS one? It does get very hot in the waterbox.

Something like this? http://www.jondon.com/ball-float.html

Name
Nate W.
I had a problem with my float getting water in it when it was plastic. It would over flow all the time, didn't matter water pressure. I got a copper one and a new float valve too, it would still over flow. Kept scratching my head on why it keep over flowing. I zip tied a empty water bottle to the arm that held the float ball. It solved the problem of it over flowing it.

Yes it's ghetto, but it has worked for me in a pinch. My plastic float ball let water in where it attached to the arm. Keep in mind I only run cold water through my water box. I run Little Giant heaters.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Deduction:

Does it float at all, or sink like a stone? If it floats, then there's at least some air inside (in other words not totally waterlogged). So - if there's some air, and enough water to affect the floatation, you would be able to feel it sloshing around when you shake it.

If there's so little water that it doesn't slosh, then not enough to really affect buoyancy - and if it were so full of water that it also doesn't slosh, then no floaty.....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
My waterbox doesn't seem to be filling as much, trying to find out if this is the issue.

Umm..... if the float had water in it, making it less buoyant, wouldn't it tend to sink further down into the water, opening the valve and allowing MORE water in, not less?

Have you checked for a clogged inlet screen, scaled up valve, or bent arm? If the float somehow got pushed downward, bending the arm, it would shut off sooner.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom