Genesis DXT Soon to Become the Judson Revelation LP

vincent said:
Leslie Judson Jones said:
danielc said:
Geez what a mess!

If you lower rpm, won't that reduce vac?
Daniel,

This is a great question. You would think reducing the blower rpm would reduce the cfm at the wand, but it will not. Basically the reducing of the cfm is only going to reduce the amount of cfm being relieved through the relief valve, not the wands. The Roots 59 will produce 850 cfm.

Big blowers like this that are used on truckmounts are not being used for the cfm. They are being used to load the engine to produce heat. I would say when I am finished with my reengineering that this unit will have something like 650 cfm which is still more air than two wands can use while being used to clean carpets.

I am able to reduce the engine rpm because the engine is no longer used for heating. Check out my video of my test run of the unit today.

Les

would this be true for my machine since it has a 5.8 blower? Meaning do I have to run it wide open.
Vince,

We’re not running your blower at full rpm. Your blower is a 56 not a 58. Did you ever connect a standard flow wand to your unit and check the pressure?

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
No, I don't have anything with a standard flow, except a one jet stair tool.

Rich doesn't have one either.

Dick Jones

Many people have seen Les's Truckmount Museum in his showroom, but very few have seen the view outside the Re-engineering Departments back door!

junkpile.jpg

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
Reminds me of a Steam Way 9100 lx.

Stuff like this sells a lot of Butlers.

Lee....I believe SW sold a model (9100lx?) for a year or two, that was basically a Genesis in blue. I know I seen one at Express Distributing down in Zoarville.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
dgardner said:
[quote="Leslie Judson Jones":epxmwjzk]One severe issue with this unit was that the pressure pump was unable to move forward or backwards to tighten the belts. As you can see in the photo, on the right side of the pump the chrome shaft cover is touching the vacuum inlet pipe to the blower, preventing the pump from moving forward.

Also notice the pulley of the pump is almost touching the machine frame, preventing the pump from being moved backwards. Dan would just have to keep buying new belts when they got loose, because there was no way to tighten them.

Since the belt goes straight down, I would think moving the pump forward or back would do little to change the tension anyway. Shimming the pump up, or better yet, putting a hinge at one end and an adjusting screw at the other to raise/lower the pulley end would be the way to go.

The whole machine is a poorly thought out design for sure.
Dan,

We’ve removed the frame now and it is allowing the pump to move considerably more. This is more than enough to keep the belts tight.

IMG_0172.jpg
[/quote:epxmwjzk]

My Genesis has a threaded rod idler pulley system in which the pump didn't move......just the idler pulley. It was located right between the pump and blower.

man, that thing is a cluster f%#k! Isn't the dealer in Austrailia, Jim Bethel, having great results with this unit??

Mike Draper

Look at this cluster :shock: I had to tighten the belts on a job the other day, it took me almost 4 minutes. 4 MINUTES!

P1010003.jpg

K P

Is it going to have a throttle control? 2000 rpm is fine in single mode,but I would want it bumped up in dual.I run a system with an unrestricted 59,so not just throwing theories at you.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Blunt said:
Is it going to have a throttle control? 2000 rpm is fine in single mode,but I would want it bumped up in dual.I run a system with an unrestricted 59,so not just throwing theories at you.

Ditto here..."Not unrestricted though"

What is your vac-relief set at...? 14hg..15hg..?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
danielc said:
Geez what a mess!

If you lower rpm, won't that reduce vac?
Daniel,

This is a great question. You would think reducing the blower rpm would reduce the cfm at the wand, but it will not. Basically the reducing of the cfm is only going to reduce the amount of cfm being relieved through the relief valve, not the wands. The Roots 59 will produce 850 cfm.

Big blowers like this that are used on truckmounts are not being used for the cfm. They are being used to load the engine to produce heat. I would say when I am finished with my reengineering that this unit will have something like 650 cfm which is still more air than two wands can use while being used to clean carpets.

I am able to reduce the engine rpm because the engine is no longer used for heating. Check out my video of my test run of the unit today.

That is exactly what I was thinking!!

Les,

With the reduction of plumbing hooked up to the blower, and the engine for the HX's will that also increase the longevity of the components due to less back pressure ?

S

sam miller

Im guessing this guy should have got a Judson to start with OOPS!

Blunt said:
2200 rpm's max, going from 400 cfm to 200 cfm in the vac relief valve.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
For you guys worried about the rpms...

dont forget it is a diesel and they like being ran slightly lower, for their best peak/torque performance....

i would think ifn you want to try and gain the extra CFM....a pulley change would work better.....

to bad you couldnt figure out a way to do that on a job....

dual wand....lemme change these pullies/belts 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

woodsey

Dan will be one happy cat when he gets it back to Missouri runs it on some jobs and finds out he does not need the high rpm to get heat and still has more suck than he can use.Not much left to go wrong and when it does he will be able to get to it. The DXT looks like it was a bigger mess than my thermalwave before Less Judsonized it.

ACE said:
Nice job Les.

That machine has lots of life left with a water cooled diesel engine and now with no proprietary parts.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Why LP? He is all set up for diesel. Why not add a generator and rock a diesel heater?

2. The downfall of EH units is failures in their ability to regulate heat. Why not build a boiler type HE that regulates heat mechanically rather than electronically?

Mike,

I’m sorry I missed this post and did not reply sooner. The reason I don’t like using diesel-fired water heaters is that diesel-fired systems are fairly inefficient as far as cost effectiveness goes. Also, diesel-fired systems have a lot of electrical and mechanical parts to make them operate. They have a flow switch that activates a pump system that atomizes the diesel fuel and a magneto to fire it with an electric spark. Every time you pull the trigger these systems activate. Really a diesel system is made for pressure washing. When pressure washing you’re not cycling the trigger so often. You basically pull the trigger and hold it on for an extended period of time like when you’re pressure washing the side of a house. Another draw back with diesel is that it stinks. The reason I like LP is that it is a simple mechanical control that is reliable. It is extremely efficient with copper coils and clean An LP system with 180,000 BTUs with copper coils would be the equivalent of a diesel-fired system with steel coils at 250,000 BTUs.

To reply to your second question concerning heat exchangers; there are not enough BTUs in the system to maintain 240 degrees on a high flow wand under commercial carpet cleaning conditions. The closest thing to the most trouble-free heat exchanger that has ever been built is the one we built for Cu, the Reactor. This system is very unique because the only control on it is a car thermostat, which is mechanical. The thermostat just simply opens and allows the water to run through a radiator which removes excess heat to stabilize the system. However, this system will not maintain 240 on a high flow wand. But it will maintain 210 on a standard flow wand.

C

cucu

And my reactor was built to last...just like my tnt

Not like my other unit
Dick Jones said:
Many people have seen Les's Truckmount Museum in his showroom, but very few have seen the view outside the Re-engineering Departments back door!

junkpile.jpg

WHICH WILL BE HERE sooner then later

woodsey said:
So when do we get to hear about the end result in the field??
Just to give you guys a update on this conversion. I was planning on having it completed this week. But I'm having to make an unexpected trip to Florida. My dad's cancer had returned and he is having emergency surgery on Wed. So the conversion will have to be delayed. I will post some recent photo's of the unit. We have the propane heater installed in the van and the propane tank mounted.

Before
IMG_0107.jpg

After

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Before

IMG_0126.jpg

After
IMG_0246.jpg

Before
IMG_0139.jpg

After
IMG_0239.jpg

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I did not know that propane Heaters don’t use a flow switch. The flow switch on my steamways is probably the component most apt to fail. There has been a few times the chimp had to set in the box truck and manually bypass the switch so we could finish a job. The flow switch is a 5 minute repair if you have a spare. Personally, I like oil fired heat and have found it to be much more reliable that poorly designed slide-in HE units. I have never used LP much so I don’t know how they compare.

Sorry to play arm chair quarterback with you Les. You simplified the machine which was the owner’s goal. Good Job. That will be a workhouse for another decade.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
ACE said:
Nice job Les.

That machine has lots of life left with a water cooled diesel engine and now with no proprietary parts.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Why LP? He is all set up for diesel. Why not add a generator and rock a diesel heater?

2. The downfall of EH units is failures in their ability to regulate heat. Why not build a boiler type HE that regulates heat mechanically rather than electronically?

Mike,

I’m sorry I missed this post and did not reply sooner. The reason I don’t like using diesel-fired water heaters is that diesel-fired systems are fairly inefficient as far as cost effectiveness goes. Also, diesel-fired systems have a lot of electrical and mechanical parts to make them operate. They have a flow switch that activates a pump system that atomizes the diesel fuel and a magneto to fire it with an electric spark. Every time you pull the trigger these systems activate. Really a diesel system is made for pressure washing. When pressure washing you’re not cycling the trigger so often. You basically pull the trigger and hold it on for an extended period of time like when you’re pressure washing the side of a house. Another draw back with diesel is that it stinks. The reason I like LP is that it is a simple mechanical control that is reliable. It is extremely efficient with copper coils and clean An LP system with 180,000 BTUs with copper coils would be the equivalent of a diesel-fired system with steel coils at 250,000 BTUs.

To reply to your second question concerning heat exchangers; there are not enough BTUs in the system to maintain 240 degrees on a high flow wand under commercial carpet cleaning conditions. The closest thing to the most trouble-free heat exchanger that has ever been built is the one we built for Cu, the Reactor. This system is very unique because the only control on it is a car thermostat, which is mechanical. The thermostat just simply opens and allows the water to run through a radiator which removes excess heat to stabilize the system. However, this system will not maintain 240 on a high flow wand. But it will maintain 210 on a standard flow wand.

My 03 Genesis HE diverter does a great job in controlling the solution temp by way of a mechanical diverter box/flap, operated by a solinoid connected to a dial thermostat......when it wants to. Most times it works as advertised, but during the summer heat, it tends to not divert after running the machine for an hour or so. So if you are running the wand continuously, there's not a problem. If you set the wand down for 5 minutes....look out, it's going to overheat.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
woodsey said:
So when do we get to hear about the end result in the field??
e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFSVoXMMRMe]

Les,

That's the most hat changes in 12 minutes I ever did see! :lol:

Did anyone else catch that?

Right on!

The Revelation is cool too. !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom