Get some help!

Ron K

OK so what the going rate for
1) Helpers
2) Trained Helper/Techs
3) On their own hand em the keys and go.
We are really busy need good help.
Not someone that has 400 bucks in their wallet and thinks he's rich.
Not some Tatted Felon/G member.
Not some one that doesn't know how to work.
The people that have left who were worth a damm, opened their own Daycare, Had Three kids pulling her home, and one guy who ended up going to the Shipyard.

In our county House cleaners are starting at $20.00 an hour.
I really don't know if it's worth trying to grow or even maintain this pace.
Honestly thinking of pulling a Mikey!
Going small!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have 2 partime helpers. One is almost useless, he just pulls hoses. I have a lot of jobs with 300+foot runs. He gets $15 per hour, usually on a 4 hour job. I have a qualified carpet cleaner with drivers license who does pretty good work, I can leave him alone once he's set up and he will get the job done. He gets $20 per hour. I am looking at options to change up trucks and gear to be able to convert him or someone else to a full time cleaner. I am in the situation of having sometimes to much work for just me but not always enough to justify a full time helper. I am thinking if I can start one part time, it will leave me time to do more sales and generate more work. currently, my trucks are slide ins, one propane and one refurbished master matic kerosene unit from steamway. I am thinking of selling the mastermatic and buying a used cds unit for the new guy. Easier to train and use, not as much heat but with good chemistry and agitation will still get the job done.

Reactions: Mikey P

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Ron, I can't speak to wages, since that is local. But it makes sense to offer $2 above minimum to start. I had a checklist of qualifications which allowed my elves to give themselves raises. Once they could operate equipment, knowing what to use and when, properly responding to questions, having completed certain jobs, all added a little per hour. Do that in a way that makes sense to you.

After a while, I moved them to a set percentage. They got a $10 bonus for a good review. I charged a little for callbacks that I had to do. Gave them a vested interest in quality and outcome.

Then they all got better jobs, lol!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ron, I can't speak to wages, since that is local. But it makes sense to offer $2 above minimum to start. I had a checklist of qualifications which allowed my elves to give themselves raises. Once they could operate equipment, knowing what to use and when, properly responding to questions, having completed certain jobs, all added a little per hour. Do that in a way that makes sense to you.

After a while, I moved them to a set percentage. They got a $10 bonus for a good review. I charged a little for callbacks that I had to do. Gave them a vested interest in quality and outcome.

Then they all got better jobs, lol!
That's the problem, if you don't pay them enough, they get better jobs.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think you can them enough to be a carpet cleaner, unless they want to be. It's not hard work but it is physical and fewer and fewer are willing to sweat.

Too many potential employees want high pay but with low effort and little actual commitment on their part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris A

Name
Chris
My tech runs his own truck every day, gets $16.50 an hour, averages 45 hours a week. I also give him 30% of upsells but he doesn't sell anything. From what I've gathered he's making quite a bit more than most Carpet techs in my area.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That's probably good in your area. We have a much higher cost of living here. Be good to train him to upsell a little. You don't want him grinding the customers but have him keep an eye out for extra opportunities. You also have to give him enough time to do extra work if he can upsell it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah livings cheap here for sure, I've been trying everything to get him to sell some but haven't found much success

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
If their parents couldn't raise them properly, chances are that you can't either.

I worked my oldest son and his his worthy friends for years. Men I have raised since they were young. I am the neighborhood dad. Being young and free of excessive financial burden allowed them to accept the ebb and flow that must be tolerated in this business.

They all went off to college or joined the military, and now have careers in other industries.

Since then my youngest son and his worthy friends have been my minions.

It is a pleasure working with younglings that I have known and raised properly from the start. I dread knowing the day will come when this resource is exhausted.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I have 2 partime helpers. One is almost useless, he just pulls hoses. I have a lot of jobs with 300+foot runs. He gets $15 per hour, usually on a 4 hour job. I have a qualified carpet cleaner with drivers license who does pretty good work, I can leave him alone once he's set up and he will get the job done. He gets $20 per hour. I am looking at options to change up trucks and gear to be able to convert him or someone else to a full time cleaner. I am in the situation of having sometimes to much work for just me but not always enough to justify a full time helper. I am thinking if I can start one part time, it will leave me time to do more sales and generate more work. currently, my trucks are slide ins, one propane and one refurbished master matic kerosene unit from steamway. I am thinking of selling the mastermatic and buying a used cds unit for the new guy. Easier to train and use, not as much heat but with good chemistry and agitation will still get the job done.

CanadA

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It's frustrating, because just paying someone more doesn't make them a better worker. I've made that mistake before. Training someone to work hard sometimes isn't even possible.

Ok geez I got a kid whose been with me for years, but every time I give give him a raise he does worse.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
When I was hiring /working with a helper I would always equate their aptitude in grades of school....kinna made a game outta it.....
Everyone wanted to be in
Carpet Cleaning College. ....very few would achieve my highest gratification. ...

Reactions: SamIam

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not sure of what it is like where you guys are located but it's tough finding help that can pass a drug test. :errf:

Many good interviews and go to their Facebook page and find out the are the ganja man. :icon_neutral:

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm not sure of what it is like where you guys are located but it's tough finding help that can pass a drug test. :errf:

Many good interviews and go to their Facebook page and find out the are the ganja man. :icon_neutral:
I wouldn't worry so much about drug or alcohol tests as long as they can show up sober and ready to work. Includes not being hung over on Monday mornings. I don't really care what people put in their bodies until it affects how they work.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Until its legal here which it isn't we will have to wait on those guys.

We have a few drinkers. they are just responsible enough to take their job seriously. However call them any night but the week they are "on call" and they will have already had too many to be of any help to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom