Getting ready to bust out the crayolas....

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Tan carpet with bleach spots. Do I use a purple crayola? My thought is that I need to get back to brown by adding red and blue.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Dirk, just colour the damn thing with whatever you can, because you're leaving money on the table err floor!!

I'd probably go lighter than purple as it appears to still have a bit of red in it but I'm a newby to this so may be off. I'd start with a light mauve and see where that takes you.

John

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
mauve, I don't think I've ever said that word in my life! :D

I looked up mauve and light mauve is actually a color. looks more blue while actual mauve is a bit purple.

harryhides

Name
Tony
John is right, though you can also start with a light brushing of pink and them add either a light blue or bluish gray.

ps, put down the beer bottle first.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Mainly you're looking to replace just the primaries taht are missing. If you match the finished colour and add that, it won't be right due to adding to what is still in the carpet.

Not that I'm a crayon colour repair expert, just learning but starting to appreciate what others have said for a while.

Once you start doing the odd job, you start thinking in Primaries and Secondary colours and try picking what's missing, what it looks like now, and what it needs to restore.

A big eye opener for me was a job I did a few months back where I had a cream carpet with blue (Cyan printer ink) dribbled on the carpet. I actually had to add an orange crayon colour to it and it practically disappeared immediately!! (Too much blue, balance it by adding the two primaries - red and yellow=orange - the additional red and yellow balanced out the additional blue)

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
Joey, John has it right.

The best way to get the hang of this is to bleach a few scraps of carpet and go play with various combinations of colors.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Had an opportunity to use these today. The kit is from the fifties.

dadscam12-08400.jpg

Greenie

Any reason you would not neutralize the bleach first?

I have visions of steaming over it with the wand, removing some of the crayon, and activating the non-neutralized bleach, spreading it.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Greenie said:
Any reason you would not neutralize the bleach first?

I have visions of steaming over it with the wand, removing some of the crayon, and activating the non-neutralized bleach, spreading it.

Interesting vision there Jeff.
You should try cleaning with one of those glide thingys so that you do not flood the carpet as you clean plus tweaking your tm properly will result in a dry carpet in seconds flat with no time for any bleach to spread. :p
What I do know because I've tested is that a properly heat set crayon stain cannot be removed even a little with straight bleach.
I don't think that you can "spread a bleach stain" by adding more water through steam-cleaning but have not tested this out.
What I do know is that a bleach stain that is not completely neutralized ( and there is no way to know ) can fade the liquid dyes used to repair the faded carpet fibers without any water being added. Just some moisture from a humid day. I know this because I've had to re-re-dye a couple of dye jobs that I had done over the years..

Final point is that the crayoned areas tend to be much more water resistant than the surrounding areas because of the thin layer of wax.

Back
Top Bottom