Getting red dye out from area rug

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Anyone ever had luck getting this out. Not me. Tried it yesterday, stain magic type of product. Red dye from an oriental rug bled on the light carpet.

Albert

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I had a 'clint dried' flood some months back and had the same issue. THey had shifted from the middle east and brought all thier rugs with them. Rich red dye bled into the W2W wool.

nothing, NOTHING I tried would budge it... didn't help that they dried this one them selves with fan heaters over a 2 weeks time frame and then called their insurer when it all still stunk.

John

Name
George Valliant
yep,

sometimes you have to know when to hold em. know when to fold em. know when to walk away, and when to run.

Run Forest! Run!

John Watson

Albert, CR-3 from Americolor and a wall paper steamer hose, Depending on how large the red stain is. If it is the complete outline of the rug, I have spent as much as 4 hours on removal.
This was an Ins claim and I was paid $125.00 just to see if I could remove and then $750 to do the job. Slow tedious work, make it worth your while..

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
If you cannot find the Americolor product mentioned above try using Masterblend's Magic. stinks to high heaven but has not once failed me in years.Just follow the instructions.
Patrick

G

If all else fails,try a little 20 vol just on the affected fibers and heat with an iron,may take a couple applications.Then there is always a knife :lol:

harryhides

Name
Tony
A lot depends on the fiber content of the affected carpet.

If it is wool, it's beyond help, imo
If it's polyester or olefin - lots of things should work - if all else fails try Chlorine bleach after testing.
If it's Nylon try a 1% solution of Chlorox - it usually comes @ 4% strength.

When you first go to assess one of these, pull a few of stained fibers as well as some unaffected fibers from nearby ( same light exposure and wear conditions ) and take them home.

Prepare a few different, small solutions of your favorite oxidizing and reducing agents and drop a fiber or two into each one to see which one(s) have any effect on the dye. When/if you find one, drop a few of the unstained fibers into that same solution to see if your solution will affect the undamaged fibers. Sometimes you may have to add back some color but often you can remove the dye/stain without having to do so.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Albert Lazo said:
Anyone ever had luck getting this out. Not me. Tried it yesterday, stain magic type of product. Red dye from an oriental rug bled on the light carpet.

Albert

Got to see this first hand about a month ago. Local maid service used a Rug Doctor on the rug while it was setting on white shag carpet. Lifted the rug and nothing but red. I told the guy to get new carpet or never remove the rug.

He said the rug was wet for alomost a week when the lady got done cleaning it and they just left it on the carpet till it was dry.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
harryhides said:
When you first go to assess one of these, pull a few of stained fibers as well as some unaffected fibers from nearby ( same light exposure and wear conditions ) and take them home.

Prepare a few different, small solutions of your favorite oxidizing and reducing agents and drop a fiber or two into each one to see which one(s) have any effect on the dye. When/if you find one, drop a few of the unstained fibers into that same solution to see if your solution will affect the undamaged fibers. Sometimes you may have to add back some color but often you can remove the dye/stain without having to do so.

This is some darn good advice. Simple, but I never would have thought to do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom