Getting to know Dave Yoakums

Mikey P

Administrator
-Have you been on the truck for 30 year by yourself or have you dabbled in the Chimp?

-What percentage of your work is true repeat clientele?

-Please break down where the other percentage comes from?

-Who answers your phones and what business software do you utilize?

-How many Yoakum marketing packages have you sold to date?

-Is Dirk an absolute legend in your town by now?

-Are you coming to M7F?

-Who's company did your advice/program have the biggest effect on? (besides you own)

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Have you been on the truck for 30 year by yourself or have you dabbled in the Chimp?

I have had up to 16 people working for me with as my staff total for many years. It seemed like I was always on the truck training techs anyway and with the all overhead office, staff, marketing etc...and seasonal spikes it became more profitable for me to go back to owner operator. I do however miss the daily morning tech training, giving away bonuses (Tvs and cash)and the grand Christmas parties for the staff.. In retrospect I was growing to fast and spending too much for marketing at the time. There wasn't enough left at the end of the month.

-What percentage of your work is true repeat clientele?
About 35%

-Please break down where the other percentage comes from?

Currently I am getting around 35% from the internet, 35% repeat and referral and 30% from my marketing system. These vary each month.

-Who answers your phones and what business software do you utilize?

I answer the phones. I use Final Answer by Steve Smith as database soft ware. I make my own marketing materials although I have PDQ.

-How many Yoakum marketing packages have you sold to date?
I would enjoy helping other small businesses with it. I think it would help a lot of the guys out. I didn't originally plan an even selling the idea. I kind of stumbled on it as way to market without having to spend any money when I was having a typical winter downturn as most here may be familiar with.

I needed to advertise and get clients(and pay my huge YP bill at the time) But, I didn't have any extra money.

I thought there must be some way to get my company's name out without spending money(I tried fliers, it sucked) I reflected on when I went fishing that summer. I couldn't catch crap where everyone else was fishing, until I went to a deserted inlet. It was teaming with fish! I caught my limit in no time. Then in a flash of inspiration it came to me.

Why don't I go where there are no fishermen. But, it is teaming with fish. That is when I started developing my system of marketing to groups and they refer my business their members. It has been a godsend for me. I costs nothing for me to set them up and once they are set up, I receive free marketing to their members forever.

As I mentioned earlier. I didn't plan on selling the system. I was going to keep secret all to myself, until other cleaners on the boards told me they wanted too wanted to learn how they could market for free throughout their area.

Not to get long winded, You can learn more about it here: http://www.freemarketingforever.com

-Is Dirk an absolute legend in your town by now?

Dirk is a legend in his own mind as usual. Actually I don't talk to Dirk a whole lot. This town is very competitive for carpet cleaning as it has too many cleaners for it's population. (75 cleaning companies 200K population)

-Are you coming to M7F?

I would love to. But, I can't go. (Family stuff)

-Who's company did your advice/program have the biggest effect on? (besides you own)

Works well for me. Mike Hogan of Hogans cleaning has been having great success.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Those repeats and referals are terrible numbers Dave. I currently run my business with probably close to 90%+ repeat & refers. It probably reflects the type of work you must be doing. In business 30 years and currently running 1 van if I were you I would unlist the number(I have an unlisted) and never market and be 100%.

You should stop seo and start CHAT

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bundy said:
Those repeats and referals are terrible numbers Dave. I currently run my business with probably close to 90%+ repeat & refers. It probably reflects the type of work you must be doing. In business 30 years and currently running 1 van if I were you I would unlist the number(I have an unlisted) and never market and be 100%.

You should stop seo and start CHAT

The repeat and referrals numbers are because I also have great success from the Internet and my marketing system.

Having 90% repeat and referral is not necessarily anything to brag about.

My marketing system is also referral based. So I suppose if I quit the internet I would be 100 % repeat and referral.

T- Up until Christmas I have been getting around 1500 -2K in new clients per week from the net. So,you can see how it would be foolish to quit the net so I could then say I was 100 % repeat and referral.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Nice program but it says 20 per month but total is 397? I think you should do monthly paypal payments like 20.. how about it?? were broke:)

F

FB7777

are you farming out all this work Dave? ... cause I'm still trying to figure out how after 30 years you aren't running more than one van with all this new business every month :roll:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
pfred said:
are you farming out all this work Dave? ... cause I'm still trying to figure out how after 30 years you aren't running more than one van with all this new business every month :roll:

$1500- 2k in new clients is only 5-6 per week.

Just one per day, or so. Not that hard to accomplish.

Just helps to make up for the clients that are lost due to attrition.

F

FB7777

Between all the alleged marketing success you claim, you have an equally horrendous 'attrition' rate

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Your numbers don't make any sense Dave. When I shopped you last year it was $120 for 4 rooms and a small hall and would take an hour and a half. Now you say you 1500 new clients from your marketing and 5 or 6 jobs would be ave $1,750 from your marketing system which means you do atleast $5,000 a week in business which means you do about 17 jobs a week with a job average of $295.00.

It doesn't add up Dave.

If you have been doing the system for 5 years you extrapulate the number of new and slide them into repeats and the balance should change and you would be doing approximately $131000 a year added to your bottom line each year between new refers and internet marketing. So even with an sttrition rate of 65% that would put you at about $1,000,000 a year with a significant decrease in your system rate and internet rate to below 10% and repeats at about 90% even with a yearly loss of 65% of new customers

That is why my numbers are much different because I can not control the flow of repeats and referals but I can control new customers to make sure we still put a quality product everyday

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Wowzers,

I must be doing things horribly wrong in my biz. I won't be hitting Dave's numbers for quite some time.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Hey Dirk,

Hope things are going well. At least we haven't had snow like last year.

Greg,

During cleaning season(not Jan 1-April 15) I typically do 15 jobs a week with over a $300 job average.( Off season drops by 1/2)

Easily manageable with one truck and a helper.

It seems like most jobs are whole houses anymore.

So you seem fairly close.

I don't want this to be a pissing match about numbers.

My main point is that I found it takes multible advertising streams and I have found three that work well for me and they are very inexpensive.

Just depending on repeat and referrals isn't enough from my experience. Some clients move away ,the kids grow up, they only clean to sell their home and other attrition.

You have to keep driving in new clients without breaking the bank.

I've been multible truck for many years and I've been only repeat and referral for many years also.

This is what works from me.

You can find your own path.

My 2 cents.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am not getting into a pissing contest I am following up on the info you provided and based on that and your new info after 5 years you would still be at about a Million dollars a year, actually much higher if I did drop the interenet and your systme number to below 10% when you clearly say it is 30 and 35% so 65% of your business. If you kept the number the same throughout 35-35-30 then you would be in the millions after 5 years.

You wrote the otherday "more mis information by Greg Crowley" when I was 100% on target and when I proved my point you said "I don't want to get in a pissing contest" and you did it again here. Isn't that a simple way to not explain the bullshit you are putting out there to try and push your system?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'm not pushing anything.

I know what works for my company at this time.

Basically boils down to, one truck, one helper, an electric truckmount. advertising by means of Internet(top placement), forming referral groups (My System) and frequent contact with current clients.(unually postcards)

If you have found a different path for your company.

Good for you.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I just want to learn so instead of saying pissing contest explain it

F

FB7777

I'm in complete agreement with Greg on this

after 30 years and you claim you had a 16 employee company at one time??

you would think you would have more work than you could handle with one truck, and not have to run 4 room specials to keep it busy after downsizing from such a large organization

between the miracle marketing program, this 1500/ week in new business off the internet, repeat and referral business over the last 3 decades it just doesn't add up

I think Greg explained the multiplication pretty well brokum... grab a cup of coffee, open up Windows Excel and do some basic math for a bit

Name
I'm Rick James
Hey im a 1 truck operation that does about 300 jobs a year and been on my own for almost 2 years. Im not rich, but im honest and building. Its common for people to make their numbers higher than they are here on the BB.

Dave does have *some* good info that many can utilize.

Greg, you got one hell of a BS meter...always good at finding the holes in the story. Good luck on suvivor.

Yequan

This may reflect the type of work, you must do. In business 30 years, currently running a car, if I were you, I will not open the number (I have a non-listed), no market, and 100%....

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Yequan said:
This may reflect the type of work, you must do. In business 30 years, currently running a car, if I were you, I will not open the number (I have a non-listed), no market, and 100%....

UM... Spammer!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom