Getting to know Jeff and Tom Hruby.

Mikey P

Administrator
1. How did Hruby come about?

2. Describe the average day at your Supply company.

2.a Describe the average day at your Cleanin company.

3. Please list the products and or services you provide.

4. Where would you like to see your Hruby in five years?

5. How do the Bulletin Boards help your companies?

6. A s a business owner, what is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?

7. What frustrates most about your two businesses?

HOS

1. How did Hruby come about?

Our equipment line was born through our carpet cleaning company, aka Argosheen Rite Way Carpet Cleaning that was established in 1974 and located in Chino, California.

Rite Way Carpet Cleaning and Carpet Care Systems (CCS) were pretty much the only companies that were both using the original OP machine designs.

Also Argo & Company from Spartanburg South Carolina was one of the first companies to fidget with the orbital floor machine idea, which was also being developed by Chicago Electric.

Later Oreck jumped in and started to mass-produce the Orbiter and the Low Boy. Then Challanger and Clark at Orbitec came in to play. I’ve attached a copy of one of the first orbital machines that Argo Sheen advertised in 1972. Kinda cool to see.

ArgoNautOrbitalMachine1972002.jpg

Through the hands-on experience of the carpet and hard floor cleaning business, we’ve been able to manufacture and in turn put the product into the field.

This system has helped the innovation process substantially. First and foremost, Hruby Orbital Systems began with the scratching of our heads trying to figure out how to correct all the troubles with the original orbital machine designs.

We knew the system worked, yet there were still many pit holes to overcome that would lead to perfecting the orbital floor care system.

Over the years, some of the biggest problems with the older machine designs were the ability to keep the various pads under the orbital drive block, vibration, operator ease, bad pad and brush driver designs, handle locking devices, switch controls, and coming up with the right pads that would work accordingly with the orbital drive technology; …the list goes on.

In 1998, while my father, Tom Hruby, continued running the show, I left the States to live and work abroad in the country of Colombia.

In Colombia I had the opportunity to work with various rose farms in Bogota exporting roses and then went on to working with textiles exporting clothing and bath towels. This was when we found the chance to design and fabricate our first round terry-towel pads that were sold with the first mass-produced Hruby machines in the year 2000.

Traveling, living and learning the Spanish language enabled me to find my way to Argentina where we began to mass-produce the Hruby machines in Buenos Aires.

In 2001, we moved HOS from California to Miami, Florida so that we could logistically position ourselves for imports and exports from South America, the US and Europe.

We began to make the majority of the parts such as the molded bases, forks and handles, the machining, welding, polishing, powder coat, etc. in Argentina. We imported the motors from Brazil, and the cotton pads from Pakistan and then all together the assembly took place in Miami.

The idea was to deliver a quality machine at a reasonable price for the States and the rest of the world. We had come across many opportunities to sell to various commercial chains yet we were unable to achieve the low prices that the industry was asking for. Fast forwarding to the beginning of 2007, we’re here back in Ontario, California again manufacturing 100% made in the USA using the latest technology in water jet and laser fabrication.

It’s been a fascinating learning curve, as the steps we’ve taken towards innovation over the years have helped to assure that every machine is absolutely perfect. As you can see we’ve put all the years of research and development into our newest machine design, the Orbot.

Here's a few images of the older Hruby machines at ISSA Chicago/Vegas and Connections, some of the 1st beginning rounds of the machine production, and Rite Way Carpet Cleaning when we used to use the old 15"ers.:

RiteWayCarpetCleaning.jpg

ISSAChicago2.jpg

ISSAChicago.jpg

BeginningofHrubyMachineProduction.jpg

FirstRedHrubyMachines.jpg

HOSOrbotSprayBorg.jpg

HOSOrbotSprayBorgFoldedDown.jpg

2. Describe the average day at your Supply Company.

An average day here at HOS is basically working hard with production. The Orbot has really proven to be an outstanding performer here in the States, Canada, Australia and Europe, so we’ve been up to our necks in the fabrication end, packaging, inside & outside sales, sales demonstrations and local facilities, marketing, building new relationships, and of course working on new innovations to stay on top of what the industry calls for.

2. Describe the average day at your Cleaning Company.

Clean, clean, clean,… learn, learn, learn. Word of mouth has been the best marketing tool for building the cleaning side of the business. We’ve hardly ever invested in print ad material to promote the business. I’d have to say that watching the cleaning business grow by itself has definitely been the backbone in helping us keep faith that the low-moisture orbital floor cleaning technology is truly an impressive and superior method.

3. Please list the products and or services you provide.

Orbot and Orbot SprayBorg Machines
Cotton Pads, AgiClean Pads, Diamond Pads
Machine accessories
Environ Encap Cleaner
Commercial & residential floor maintenance service

4. Where would you like to see your Hruby in five years?

In the hands of everybody who is inspired by the low-moisture, eco-friendly orbital floor care and encapsulation cleaning method. We’re also pushing the Orbot heavily into the stone care industry which has shown to be quite impressive. So, it would be exciting to see HOS grow into this market too. There’s a lot of stone flooring out there. Like Dana from Innovative Surface Solutions had mentioned, “…carpet cleaners are walking over big $ per sq. ft to get to low priced carpet cleaning.”

5. How do the Bulletin Boards help your companies?

The boards have helped tremendously. Communication is everything, both for the professionals and the manufacturers. Good job Mike for what you’ve given to the people in this industry. You’re the man!

6. As a business owner, what is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?

Trying to add more numbers to the clock and make the umpa lumpas work faster.

HOSumpaslumpas.jpg

7. What frustrates most about your two businesses?

There are always little frustrations, but nothing to serious. We really enjoy this industry and the people who are involved in it. That’s what keeps us truckin!

Met them at Mfest.

First impressions.

Easy going and always smiling.

I think it would be a pleasure doing business with them.

Good luck,Judson

John G

Argsosheen carpet cleaners, started by Marvin Obbink, ran several years, then
sold to his son-in-law- Dave Van Hammersveld. BTW Marv is my uncle and Dave my cousin.
Dave still has his business in Kalamazoo, Mi.

You bought it WHEN?

How large was the company then?

How large is it NOW?

You first built machine was a copy of WHAT?

THe Orbot is a fine machine, however, you are taking a lot of liberties with what
experience you have.

Oh BTW WE never used the little Emdeko machines except the stairs, that Argo used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom