Getting to know Jim Martin

Mikey P

Administrator
-What led you to get into this business?

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

-Where was your business one year ago and where will it be a year from now?

-Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
-What led you to get into this business?

We decided to have a baby and we wanted something that Tia could stay home and we could set our schedule like we wanted it...we had heard of a guy selling his company and we sat and talked with him...we liked what we were hearing but we decided it would be smart to start new so I hung up my electrician tool belt Tia quit her accounting job and we designed Beyond Clean..and built it from the ground up...

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

to be honest we never had one..........

-Where was your business one year ago and where will it be a year from now?

I have never been in a big rush to build this company....ever year is a big improvement over the other...
..Last year was one of my better years...I think next year will be hard to predict due to everything going on....I am hoping to see the growth and the improvements that we have seen in the past....
Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

no one .. I am happy being me....I don't worry about to many people or things that go on....I don't look at
people as competition...

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it.

I think we have gone about things the right way...it took longer to get the ball rolling then what we thought...I think the stupidest thing we ever did was leasing out equipment...so I would change that

Mikey P

Administrator
Ok lets try again.

Ever been Black?

Do you dress to the left or right?

Ever stolen anything from a home owner?

Do you wash your hands every time you go to the head?

There is talk that the reason you dont get walk ups is because you look like you just got out of Sing Sing.
Do you feel there is any truth to that?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Ever been Black?

on occasions I fell I am...

Do you dress to the left or right?

always the right....

Ever stolen anything from a home owner?

no.........welll.......no
Do you wash your hands every time you go to the head?

always at home ..never on the truck...because I have to grab the handle after the last guy mauled himself going pee..and did not wash his hands....so I carry a bottle of sanitizer on the truck for those occasions....

There is talk that the reason you dont get walk ups is because you look like you just got out of Sing Sing.
Do you feel there is any truth to that?

Not really sure about the not getting walk ups..and I have never been to sing sing....but after a drunk night at a bar years ago things did get out of hand and I thought for sure I was going to be cell block D's bitch for awhile...

Jim, Its nice to see how you go out of your way to help others. Was the Vortex your first truckmount? What do you think the number one reason for failure is, in this industry? If you had 100 bucks a month to advertise with. Where would you spend that money? Why to the bulk of us cling on to all the certifications, like it means something. To me its just a donation to a charity. Oh hire me I am a master,master,master cleaner. Yes hire me did I tell you I am a master cleaner working out of this 92 caravan. How do you feel about the training? Where do you see the industry in 2 years? Thanks, Ron

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ronald pantelas said:
Jim, Its nice to see how you go out of your way to help others. Was the Vortex your first truckmount? What do you think the number one reason for failure is, in this industry? If you had 100 bucks a month to advertise with. Where would you spend that money? Why to the bulk of us cling on to all the certifications, like it means something. To me its just a donation to a charity. Oh hire me I am a master,master,master cleaner. Yes hire me did I tell you I am a master cleaner working out of this 92 caravan. How do you feel about the training? Where do you see the industry in 2 years? Thanks, Ron

my first truck mount was a cds 4.8....it was a nice machine but as I grew I did not like the limited space for carrying things...hooking up a hose for water to the homes and having to dump every 2 to 3 jobs was a waste of time....I got to the point where I maxed out the van and could not keep up..I was going to buy another and hire someone which was not the road I was ready for and did not want to go down...I found the Vortex I have now for about the same price as a new cds and van and it is able to do what I want it to and not have to hire anyone yet.....

IMO the number one failure for people in this industry is while trying to build there company they are out there low balling everything they can thinking they are making money and in most cases they are only working to here there equipment run and have no idea how much it is costing them....and they are so worried about what the competition is doing they lose focus on there own company...

for $100 a month I would focus on my client base to advertise to...It is much easier for a large group of people that already know and trust you to be a cheerleader then trying to market to people who have never even heard of you.... the free lap top was one of our biggest..we gained a lot of new clients from it and have already gotten new clients from them...If you are new and do not have a client base then it is just hit and miss until you start finding a way to build a client list...when we first started we had a small hand full of post cards that helped get our foot in the door...free protector...free 90 day touch ups to the reality market for homes they had on the market... were just a few...

Training and certifications are important but for the basic's only...you don't want to walk into something blind ...I took a water damage/mold class and got certified in it and I don't even offer that type of service...I took it mainly so I know what to look for and the basic's have help me a few times....I also carry carpet and UPH...but my best training was from other cleaners from the boards and from that I work with here in town...when I first started doing UPH I hired a friend of mine to come to my home and clean my microfiber couch....now I can go out and clean them with no hesitation at all....best training there is...I really don't think that the master ..master ..master cleaners are any better at what we do then anyone else...I know a few here in town and I would never hire them...

I don't see to many changes in the industry as a whole coming to soon.....I think the chemical cost have gotten out of hand and a few are going to price them self's out of the industry before it is all over with as more and more learn how to get out of there comfort zone and shop around.....

Name
BradFenstermaker
Just want to give KUDOS to Jim for his helping hand. Jim has answered and suggested many things to me.

You are an inspiration on innovative idea's.

Hope your family has a great Turkey Day! We are having PORK ROAST with all the fixin's.

Later

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Certainly looks like you did your homework when entering this business, great name & logo.

You're always helping others here with their TM's and electrical questions.

One of the MB good guys!

Ernie G

Jim, I really don't know you, we have never met, but from reading your posts I can tell your one of the good guys. You always go out of your way to help guys on this board, that shows you have passion for this industry. We need more new guys coming into the busn. with that attitude, best of luck to you in the future.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Jim is one of the genuine people you can find on these boards (if you look hard enough). He's been a tremendous help to me and I want to publically thank him for that.

Oh, and thanks to Brad for having Pork Roast.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Jim is one of the coolest dudes on the boards. He has some great posts and accompanies many of his posts with pictures.

I heard Jim is not having pork roast for Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom