Getting to know Martin Sutely.

Mikey P

Administrator
-What led you to get into this business?

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

-Where was your business five years ago and where will it be five years from now?

-Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it?

-What Mikey Boarder would like to punch you in the throat the most?

Raedan

I actually look forward to Martys posts.
I like his sense of humor.

Is that sick or what? :shock:

Joe

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
IDGAS
Nah I do. He is a wealth of information and entertainment

hogjowl

Idiot™
Mikey P said:
-What led you to get into this business?

Frustration.

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

It's hard to single out one and describe her. Like most here, I have several. Most are women, but a few are men. I think they are so loyal to me because I offer them a no nonsense, no BS relationship with great service and no dog and pony show. They can leave the key and a check and I take care of their cleaning needs.

-Where was your business five years ago and where will it be five years from now?

I've been in business 20 years. Five years ago I was suffering from bulletin board confusion. I had lost focus on what people want and was following bulletin board fantasies ... trying to OP clean, encap clean and and being an ICS pricer. The Mikey 12 step cleaning program didn't help much either. Today I am more focused on what my market wants and what will make me more successful.

Five years from now I will be set up for my retirement run.

-Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

That's a difficult question to answer. Who is anyone in this industry ... really? From what I have seen, the industry pillars I have met are never what they appear to be on the boards. The one man bands that I have met, who are industry writers, teachers or bulletin board gurus are just BDCC's who have learned how to build an image. The "successful" multi-truck owners I have met are miserable trying to meet payroll, pay bills and manage schedules. I don't know that I have met anyone who I want to be like. YOU, Mikey, are as close as I have seen from being what I would want to be like, but I don't like the gay tendencies necessary to position myself the way you have in your business and your personality quirks are so annoying that I fear following your path would make me a social outcast.

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it?

I would completely avoid internet interaction and would stick to the basic Ken Snow, Stanley Steemer, business type. I would purchase a stock Butler, not make any "improvements" and clean with a 2 step method. I'd start traditional marketing from day one, never quit, and price over the phone. I wouldn't diversify into floor covering the way I did 10 years ago and I wouldn't venture over to the vlm cleaning world. The kooks over there will suck the life out of you.

-What Mikey Board would like to punch you in the throat the most?

Nobody. I don't take anybody here that serious.

Reactions: JS41035
M

Mark Imbesi

Marty was full of turkey that tired him out and mellowed his answers. I would like him to reanswer these questions after a good nap.

Rambo

WOW A long post full of insight from Marty. Mickey, a little respect for Marty, at least you could spell his name correctly.

harryhides

Name
Tony
What led you to get into this business?

"Frustration."

It would appear that you are still "frustrated". What kind of business would you consider if you had to do it again as a young man.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I agree with him about all this VLM crap sucking the life out of you.
Trying to fully understand the mythical science behind it is like having SATAN whispering in your ear.

Marty was and still is my mentor and hero.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
"SATAN whispering in your ear...."

The funniest thing EVER sED on this board.......

I GIVE UP!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Yeah I meant all those J-Witt bastards!

And they are closer to SATAN than anyone I know!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Actually, I posted a much longer, and pissier, response earlier. Only to have it spin off into outer space when I tried to post it. I've had a problem with that sort of thing happening on this board ever since Mark and Andrechelle improved it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Marty is one of the best on this board..I rank him right up there with Jimmy and a few others....

I really enjoyed sitting down and meeting with him on his way threw Tucson.....

But I am a little confused on how he managed to lose a brand new locking gas cap that was tethered to the gas tank somewhere in the middle of New Mexico...

Reactions: Total_Rookie

hogjowl

Idiot™
The flange, or pins, or whatever, on that fuel cap was not quite long enough to stay in the opening. Every time I opened the cap and let it hang, it would fall off. So, I took it off and placed it on the side door step. I was at a Walmart fuel stop and some old dude in a motor home as rushing me. When I left, I just forgot to put it back on. By the time I remembered it, I was about 5 miles down the road. No way I was going back.

This pig was headed to the pen.

M

Mark Imbesi

Awww, dont worry about it, Marty. Anyone in Alabama would have done the same thing.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
admiralclean said:
The flange, or pins, or whatever, on that fuel cap was not quite long enough to stay in the opening. Every time I opened the cap and let it hang, it would fall off. So, I took it off and placed it on the side door step. I was at a Walmart fuel stop and some old dude in a motor home as rushing me. When I left, I just forgot to put it back on. By the time I remembered it, I was about 5 miles down the road. No way I was going back.

This pig was headed to the pen.

I find them old people in Rv's to be pretty intimidating......he may have ran you down with his walker ......

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Marty, I bought a new locking diesel cap, it had a short retainer on it so i took the retainer off of the factory cap and replaced the one on the locking cap with it. :lol:

TimP

Walrus said:
Trying to fully understand the mythical science behind it is like having SATAN whispering in your ear.

I've about stopped doing any encap jobs. I've had to go back on way too many to be able to guarantee them. HWE works and does better for wicking. It's all a scam in my opinion. Only time it's worth a beans is if you can get them on a routine....and it aint gonna happen in my woods. Money is better spent on a once a year HWE or every other year for some.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Fon Johnson

TimP said:
Walrus said:

I've about stopped doing any encap jobs. I've had to go back on way too many to be able to guarantee them. HWE works and does better for wicking. It's all a scam in my opinion. Only time it's worth a beans is if you can get them on a routine....and it aint gonna happen in my woods. Money is better spent on a once a year HWE or every other year for some.

You're doing something wrong..

Able 1

Name
Keith
He's a good shit even though he f's with me alot... Love to read Stuie's(sp) posts!

Redneck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom