Getting to know Mytee John.

Mikey P

Administrator
-How long were you a carpet cleaner for and how did you get into manufacturing?

-What is your best selling product and who sells the most Mytee products?

-How long has Mytee been around and when was/is the peak of the market for portable sales?

-Why did you choose to take on HRI in the Glide wars when you had so little to gain?

-What do you hope to accomplish with the Porty Shoot Out at Myteefest and what other machines will be there?

-Are you going to allow Terri Brevick into your factory knowing full well that he will steal your ideas?

-If you had to choose between Ed Valentine and Jennifer Aniston to spend the rest of your life on a desert island whom who get the nod?

-What is your favorite prespray Truckmount, Wand, Uph tool, Van and form of Marketing?

-

Name
John LaBarbera
-How long were you a carpet cleaner for and how did you get into manufacturing?

I primarily did janitorial and some carpet cleaning. I started around 1968. Went to buy a machine and they were too expensive, I felt I could build them, better and less expensive. My father house had a two car garage,two cars deep, he said take the back end of the garage and try it, so I did. That company was called Carpet Jenny, my father and I sold it in 1990.

-What is your best selling product and who sells the most Mytee products?

The Speedsters and the Grand Prix automotive detailing machine. Brett in customer service.

-How long has Mytee been around and when was/is the peak of the market for portable sales?

Mytee was started in 1994 with our MyteeHot water heater. 1995 for extractors. We continue to grow, I like working on new products.

-Why did you choose to take on HRI in the Glide wars when you had so little to gain?

I don't like bullies. I had met Jeff and Lisa, and had a lot of respect for both of them. I thought they could use some help. They helped me more than I could help them. I'll win this case, but it could not have been done with out them and other people like Darlene, Larry Cobb, Eric can't say his last name in Penn. and others.

-What do you hope to accomplish with the Porty Shoot Out at Myteefest and what other machines will be there?

I would like to see a chart of the actual spec's of the various machines and post it for all. I think it would help the PCC's see the differences or the similarities of the many machines out there. Whether they buy Mytee ( I would prefer that) or not they would at least be making an informed decision with out all the misleading hype that is spewed out by some. So far only my friends at Kleenrite are participating, possibly Terry Brevik and Bob Savage. I don't think Eddie is going to show anything. If anyone has a machine they want evaluated contact me so we can make arrangements to get it to Mikeyfest.

-Are you going to allow Terri Brevick into your factory knowing full well that he will steal your ideas?

I don't think he needs to "steal" any of my ideas. He has plenty of his own. And some good ones at that. I really don't believe there are any trade secrets in building machines, maybe some in chemicals. The machine either cleans or it doesn't. As much as I (or Ed) would like to think, its not rocket science.

-If you had to choose between Ed Valentine and Jennifer Aniston to spend the rest of your life on a desert island whom who get the nod?

If I say Ed, he would probably shoot himself, if I said Jen, I be better off if I shot myself. Either way someone would probably die, so I guess I'll just stay in San Diego.

-What is your favorite prespray Truckmount, Wand, Uph tool, Van and form of Marketing?

Can't comment on all, but I like the Bentley wand, I like my Sprinter and my favorite form of marketing is (was trade shows, but are too tiring and expensive) Mikey's Board, it's by far the most entertaining and I learn a lot from it.

Name
John LaBarbera
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
John,

First off thanks for everything you do. Just a couple quick questions.

When you first started Mytee, did you ever expect it to grow as much as it has, or what there an initial plan you had thats gotten you this far?

Where do you see Mytee in the next 5 years ?

Hi Steve,

Never in a 100 years did I expect it to grow like it has. We saw a need for a good machine at the right price, it was an opportunity. I was just trying to make a living like the rest of us. No plan. I would like Mytee to be the portable of choice for the PCC.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I've been really impressed with John's involvement on the boards as well.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
John LaBarbera said:

If I say Ed, he would probably shoot himself, if I said Jen, I be better off if I shot myself. Either way someone would probably die, so I guess I'll just stay in San Diego.

I love this answer.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
John taking on HRI and the porty shoot-out reminds me of Napoleon when he ordered his own army to a halt while he rode toward the opposing army of 6,000. As he got nearer he dismounted and walked up to this solid mass of men. Their commander ordered them to fire. But in awe of the man that stood before them, not one of them was able to pull the trigger. :shock:

John, your companies growth in the next decade is going to be huge. Thanks for all your great participation in this industry.

Love the new website as well.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I fully expect this post to disappear, but why the constant hard on for Ed Valentine? One of the most valuable lessons I've learned is not to constantly piss on the competition, even when the temptation is there. Both manufacturers use pumptec and lamb, different designs and configurations, but basically the same components. It just gives you very bad optics and could turn potential customers away.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Willy P said:
I fully expect this post to disappear, but why the constant hard on for Ed Valentine? One of the most valuable lessons I've learned is not to constantly piss on the competition, even when the temptation is there. Both manufacturers use pumptec and lamb, different designs and configurations, but basically the same components. It just gives you very bad optics and could turn potential customers away.

Willy, Ed is not a innocent victim. I think it was all the old claims of running 200ft without a booster and then the janitorial guys who clean a little commercial carpet on the side making similar wild claims on the CC boards. Thankfully, a lot of that has ended now. Even the new Cross-American site now states the more reasonable claims of 100 to 150 ft. Ed chooses to market his products that way (hype) and it has worked well for him in his market. But every once in while someone is going to come along and question some of these over the top claims.

To be fair Willy, Ed also likes to take sniper shots at Mytee by constantly inferring that they copy everything he does. Is that not true? The best way to call out a sniper is to publicly expose them.

The only thing I have ever heard John say about Ed or the Recoil is regarding the lift the unit produces. Ed stated on the Recoil Board that it's around 150" if his memory is correct. No one can understand where that number comes from considering the vac motors he uses. It is really between 99" and 117". So John and others have questioned him on it and Ed and Recoil gang view it as an attack. Whatever.

I will tell you this, if an automaker claims a car has 300HP when it only really has 200HP, they are setting themselves up for a whole lot of trouble. What goes around, comes around.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bill do you badmouth your competition? I do my best NOT to. It comes across to the potential customer as somewhat desperate, even though it might be true. I just did a job for a lady that used Sears. One tech she was happy with moved on and she got a hack/salesman the next time. I made a point of NOT shitting on Sears as I wanted to prove to her that I spoke with MY actions, not a stream of what would seem TO THEM like vindictive, small minded diatribe. I rarely see TM manufacturers taking direct shots at the competition, but the portable/electric guys line up and all claim to be the best. If you have the best product, that should do it for you, as there will be nothing to worry about should a competitor be pushing inferiority. The lady that used to use Sears? I've gotten 3 referrals from her so far. That speaks volumes to me, without a negative word.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Willy P said:
I rarely see TM manufacturers taking direct shots at the competition, but the portable/electric guys line up and all claim to be the best.

Is that that because TM manufacturers are a little more accurate in their claims?

I agree Willy that no one should ever bad mouth their competition. But is asking a another manufacturer for clarification on an industry accepted specification considered bad mouthing?

I have NEVER heard John or any other Mytee Rep bad mouth Ed or Cross-American. I have heard him asking for clarifications on some seemingly hyped up claims. I don not consider that bad mouthing.

RickL

Dissin Ed HUH?????

Willy I've gone back over every word in this thread and can't see where John said one bad word about Ed at all.
He answered all the qiestions as best he could.
Great job on the answers John and supporting your products!

Greenie

Great answers John, entertaining as well.
You guys will like the Mytee factory, the roto-molding machine alone is worth the tour.

Name
John LaBarbera
Willy P said:

Willy P,

I appreciate your comments, but please hear me out on this.

I have never personally attacked Ed, and never will. I've asked him two questions, publicly. 1) what is your water lift? and 2) what is the total amp draw per power cord? As soon as we, as a manufacturer, put our machine out there, we are no longer flying under the radar. We are now accountable for what we say or do, just like you as a PCC are accountable for your work.

When I first came to this board, you may recall I got hammered (criticized). I think it was for two reasons. (1) People didn't know me, but more importantly, (2) My product needed to be improved. That's one of the most valuable features of this board. The honest appraisal of my product is info I can't buy, it has to be given, and who better to give it than the ones who actually use it. This is all very public. I can either, ignore it, get offended or listen to what I'm told. Of those three choices, what is better for me. I think, take the criticism, improve the product, and go on with life.

Willy, like you said, we both use Lamb and pumptec, so what's the secret? Why are the answers to those 2 question listed above so guarded? Is it that the answer would be a negative on the product, and so it has been decided it is better not to answer? If a PCC buys a machine, complains about the quality publicly, and the builder improves it, isn't that a good thing? Isn't that what this board is all about? Good communication?

The fact is, manufacturers are not perfect nor are their products. We can always improve for our customers, but we have to want to, we have to be willing to listen. If we don't and we lose them it is our own doing.

I don't believe that harsh criticism of anyone is the right thing to do on this or any board. But, constructive criticism, given in a kind way, can serve a helpful purpose.

I have never said Ed makes a bad machine. But if I'm going to ask some one to pay me$300.00 or $3000.00 of their hard earned dollars, they sure have the right to know in advance what they are buying. If it is going to perform as promised, and are they getting good value for their money? And if I'm using a public media to sell this products, than my answers have to be public, too.

DannyD

John LaBarbera said:
[quote="Willy P":1yu0s82x]I fully expect this post to disappear, but why the constant hard on for Ed Valentine? One of the most valuable lessons I've learned is not to constantly piss on the competition, even when the temptation is there. Both manufacturers use pumptec and lamb, different designs and configurations, but basically the same components. It just gives you very bad optics and could turn potential customers away.

Willy P,

I appreciate your comments, but please hear me out on this.

I have never personally attacked Ed, and never will. I've asked him two questions, publicly. 1) what is your water lift? and 2) what is the total amp draw per power cord? As soon as we, as a manufacturer, put our machine out there, we are no longer flying under the radar. We are now accountable for what we say or do, just like you as a PCC are accountable for your work.

When I first came to this board, you may recall I got hammered (criticized). I think it was for two reasons. (1) People didn't know me, but more importantly, (2) My product needed to be improved. That's one of the most valuable features of this board. The honest appraisal of my product is info I can't buy, it has to be given, and who better to give it than the ones who actually use it. This is all very public. I can either, ignore it, get offended or listen to what I'm told. Of those three choices, what is better for me. I think, take the criticism, improve the product, and go on with life.

Willy, like you said, we both use Lamb and pumptec, so what's the secret? Why are the answers to those 2 question listed above so guarded? Is it that the answer would be a negative on the product, and so it has been decided it is better not to answer? If a PCC buys a machine, complains about the quality publicly, and the builder improves it, isn't that a good thing? Isn't that what this board is all about? Good communication?

The fact is, manufacturers are not perfect nor are their products. We can always improve for our customers, but we have to want to, we have to be willing to listen. If we don't and we lose them it is our own doing.

I don't believe that harsh criticism of anyone is the right thing to do on this or any board. But, constructive criticism, given in a kind way, can serve a helpful purpose.

I have never said Ed makes a bad machine. But if I'm going to ask some one to pay me$300.00 or $3000.00 of their hard earned dollars, they sure have the right to know in advance what they are buying. If it is going to perform as promised, and are they getting good value for their money? And if I'm using a public media to sell this products, than my answers have to be public, too.[/quote:1yu0s82x]

I'm gonna chime in here. I think John makes some pretty good points. I like Ed. I wanna say that upfront & that's not going to change. I've used the Recoil & think it's a good machine. I do think Ed gets bashed a lot & have really never figured out why. So when John first came on the scene here I perceived him as an instigator. Though I had never used any of Mytee's products, my opinion of them wasn't very high & I'd never even considered them. This opinion wasn't because of Ed saying anything negative. I've talked to Ed maybe 5 times in my life & never once did he mention John or Mytee. This opinion came about I guess little by little over time. No one incident, just a general kind of thing where some companies ya start developing a positive feel for (Savage & Butler comes to mind here) & others not so great. Mytee was in the 2nd group.

After reading a fair amount of his posts, plus feedback on the company from others, my opinion of the guy has changed 180. The way he handled a situation over on the ICS board a lil bit ago was impressive. Very impressive. I may/may not ever buy anything from em, but Mytee is now a company that I will def. consider if I ever need something.

The Preacher

Ed has told me he doesn't go to trade shows or Fests' because he doesn't want other people stealing his ideas, as has been done in the past? so if you have a machine built and don't let folks touch/see it, how will you thrive? if a few cleaners say it's the best thing since sex, and a few others say it's a POS, who do you believe???

he also said that if a Recoil isn't bought new, that he won't stand behind it, since he doesn't know how it's been "used"???

my personal feeling on Ed is that he's old school and doesn't want to change. guys like John will be the leader in portable mfg. as he listens to what people want, and trys to build it!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
JOHN I DON'T SEE ANY CLEAR PLASTIC JUGS ON YOUR SPRAYERS.

DO YOU EVEN LISTEN TO THE GRASS ROOTS CLEANERS?

OR ONLY TO THOSE WHO SMOKE GRASS?

NOBODY LIKES THOSE BLUE JUGS...............NOBODY.

:shock:

jimmyolas

the blue jug is translucent (sp)(see through)only when u hold it up to the sun.
there durable though. i got mine from connections before it had a big mouth, oh well.

jimmy

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
"Only when you hold it up to the sun"

HELLO JOHN IS ANYBODY HOME?

Name
John LaBarbera
John Middleton said:
Do you have an NZ agent or is someone buying the stuff, importing it and selling on the side? (not that there is a [problem with that, just wondering)

John

Hi John,

Can you say that again in English?

Name
John LaBarbera
Sorry, I got it. New Zealand! I must be tired. I don't know. I'll check with Nathan on Monday. Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a wise guy.

Back
Top Bottom