Getting your mailing noticed

dgargan

I have been mailing newsletters to my customers every two months for 4 years. Before that it was quarterly. I always thought it weird I didn't see much of a response just after the mailing went out. The last for months we have started asking very detailed questions of our customers when they call. We ask "are you calling because of the news letter you recieved" or "Did you get our 20% off coupon in the mail?" They always say no it's just time to be cleaned and I looked you up or found a card in my desk or on the fridge. We ask if the get our mailings and less than 10% remember ever seeing anything from us. Our customers get 6 newsletters, a 6 month post card and a yearly reminder yet they don't recall seeing anything. A lady called today to book and I asked if we did work for her before and she said I'm not sure. I looked in the computer and we have cleaned for her 4 times in the last 5 years. She looked in the phone book and "thought" our name sounded familar and called. I spend $900-$1000 a month mailing to past customers and I feel like I'm throwing my money away. Is it really worth it? Why can't people remember seeing my mailing?

dgargan

I did put some "ringers" on the list. Some employees, friends and some real good customers and told them to look for the NL. It is going out. I have used Jon Don, Joe P, Howard P. Big Bang and some of my own. I doubt it's the material. We call an average of 40-50 people the week they hit and do a survey. Some say they "think" they saw it, others not sure and only 10% can say yes the do remember it.

Walt

Can you post a couple of your last mailings?

Maybe you don't have a strong ID / Logo and people aren't putting two and two together?

Chris A

Name
Chris
That's wierd, I get the same results from my postcards (because they suck) but my very basic Big Bang newsletter always gets rave reviews from customers (rave=more than 2 said they saw it)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ok i know this may sound funny and maybe some spend more but $1000 a mth for mailings!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy shit.......

no wonder i like doing commercial more then residential.....I dont want a baby sitting job to!!!!

weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi annualy, yearly.... just call them when its their time to be done....

I can knock a helluva lota doors for a grand a mth...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
What happens is that if clients aren't ready to get any cleaning done. When they get the card/flier they won't pay any attention to it. The advertisement will go it the pile with the 10 other junk mail items they received that day and go into the trash before they even get in the door.

They likely will not even remember that they even received it.

On the other hand. When clients are thinking about cleaning and they get the card/flier in the mail they will pay more attention to it and maybe it will instill them to take action.

They will say: "You mailed me that card to me just at the right time!"

It's like if you want to buy a new flat screen TV. All of a sudden you will pay much more attention to everyone you see or the advertisements for them.

This is why you should mail and mail often. So your clients can say" Wow you mailed me that just at the right time!" " It's like you can read my mind."

dgargan

I guess that makes sense Dave. I wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing my money away. I thought about going back to quarterly but I'll stay with what I'm doing.

Doug: $1000 a month sounds like a lot but it all realitive. I'm sure some of the big companies spend several thousand a month mailing to their customers. We run 3 vans and It's worked into our budget so it's no big deal. I just want to make sure this is worth doing.

Bob Foster

Stamp the outside of the envelop OVERDUE. That's sure to get there attention unless your Ken Harris. Then say on the inside letter, your carpets are overdue for cleaning.

C

clean image

i feel ya,

were in process of switching software, so were behind sending

i'll get calls were they say they just recieved my letter, even though i sent it out 3 mnths ago

i think, and have seen, people will save them as reminders to themselves, like put it on fridge, and call when their ready

carl

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I always put myself, all my family and friends on and let them know when I mail.
I like to get opinions, I like to know when the mail actually hits and I like to know it's working.

You can't just mail and figure it works.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My therory and you can debate this if you like is that most mailing are percieved as junk mail.

The true purpose is to simply keep your name in front of them every month.

Doesn't have to be offers or discounts in my opinion.

By a constant flow of mailing the same time of month your name will become ingrained in their subconcious. And when they see all those SS ads on TV, suddenly your name pops up in their mind to call you.

Call it piggyback marketing.

I've spent thousands on flyers,postcards etc and to me none of them work.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
When I see a SS ad, I know I am going to get some calls.

All it does is remind people of Carpet Cleaning. Who the hell would use their service?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian Robison said:
When I see a SS ad, I know I am going to get some calls.

All it does is remind people of Carpet Cleaning. Who the hell would use their service?

Yep, Just got a call asking if we were still doing the 3rms & Hall for 89.00 (SS Special) I wonder how much of my advertising budget benefits my competition. I guess it’s to be expected too much copy cat marketing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom