Gimmie a Honda Civic hatchback and a HOS.

Mikey P

Administrator
I got the big truck blues.

Some of you know the story how my chimp called me at MF telling me how the brakes on the V vanished when he was coming down a rather large mountain and he lucked out and found a dirt patch to slow him down.

Over heated and smoking bad. Real bad. Luck he didn't go off a cliff. Damn lucky.

When I got back I took it to the local (and only) truck mechanic in these parts and they found nothing wrong but drained the Dot 3 and replaced with Dot 4. Th guessed that the adjuster in the rear got stuck,what ever that means.

From there the breaks were mushy and stinky so I brought it back again today and they adjusted the rears and while they felt fine when I left 10 miles later they were even mushier and stinkier.

So now I have to leave it there all day tomorrow while I go pick up my Ford van/sw2100 from the other mechanic who was going to work on the massive oil leak from it's oil pan gasket.

I need a back up for my back up.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Bummer and lol at the same time.....

I have had that happen all the time...put that in the shop get it back, it breaks or is still bad down the road...few days later next vehicle in...

grahhhhh

glad i trade for mechanics service...

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Sorry about that , but we have had that happen before, You feel real small and helpless with no F truck

Lets hope they fix the brakes

BTW Is the new HOS perfected now?? Or will they change it again??

I need a new OP

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
ummm, money bagz, just buy a fookin van for the 2100 and sell that 1978 appliance delivery truck to a dude that smuggles Mexicans across the border

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
No way am I putting that monstrosity Steam Way in a cargo van.

I aint gonna fork lift that beast out of the van every time I need to clean out the filter basket

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mikey P said:
I got the big truck blues.

Some of you know the story how my chimp called me at MF telling me how the brakes on the V vanished when he was coming down a rather large mountain and he lucked out and found a dirt patch to slow him down.

Over heated and smoking bad. Real bad. Luck he didn't go off a cliff. Damn lucky.

When I got back I took it to the local (and only) truck mechanic in these parts and they found nothing wrong but drained the Dot 3 and replaced with Dot 4. Th guessed that the adjuster in the rear got stuck,what ever that means.

From there the breaks were mushy and stinky so I brought it back again today and they adjusted the rears and while they felt fine when I left 10 miles later they were even mushier and stinkier.

So now I have to leave it there all day tomorrow while I go pick up my Ford van/sw2100 from the other mechanic who was going to work on the massive oil leak from it's oil pan gasket.

I need a back up for my back up.

air in the lines .....

going down the hill riding the breaks probably heated up the dot 3 and caused air bubbles in the fluid....

Teach him what lower gears are for.......

when they replaced the 3 with the 4 they should of done a power bleed on the lines...to flush the system and get all the air out.....

the stuck adjuster is on the rear breaks and when they wear down one can craw under there and stick a screw driver in the inspection hole and adjust the rear breaks out ( closer to the drum ) .......

about 60% of your breaking puts the load on the fount..( that is why they nose down when you hit the break )...but you still need to have the rears in top shape and adjusted properly to help assist the front....

normal rule of thumb if everything is working right is you should go threw 2 sets of front breaks to 1 set of rears.......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Chavez ain't gonna buy that thing.
Dude! :evil:

Sorry to hear that Mike, we had the master cylinder go out on an Isuzu and it hit a building.

Didn't damage the building but did $3000.00 damage to the truck, they were going 20 mph in the parking lot.

After the initial shock I was just glad it didn't happen in traffic when they had some speed.

2-injured tech's and smashing into another car wouldn't be good PR.

Vincent Feehan said:
Sorry about that , but we have had that happen before, You feel real small and helpless with no F truck

Lets hope they fix the brakes

BTW Is the new HOS perfected now?? Or will they change it again??

I need a new OP

Vince the new HOS Orbot is one SWEET OP

Jimbo

I concur with Jim Martin on the fluid...

It also sounds like the master cylinder is toast...with the rear brake part of the master cylinder not working properly...the front brakes have to do all the work...hence the overheating on the front.

How about a New Chevy box van and a Genesis?

Bob Foster

The devil is in the details. I just did some research on the Ford LCF, my favorite cab-over truck. I just found one very good reason for you not to buy one. I could be wrong, but it appears that it is not available with an engine brake which, considering other people than you would be driving the truck, is the most prudent solution to your problem.

Isuzu does offer an engine brake. The lack of the engine brake is a complete deal stopper for the Ford LCF for those people like Mike with hilly areas.

http://isuzu.sqserver.com/nqr5500_vs_ford_int_19500.htm

Richard, do you know any different considering you have the most box trucks of any of us?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob what's an engine break? Is that like a jake brake or compression relief?

We don't have that on any of our trucks.

If you asked any of the guys they would hands down take the
LCF over any of the Isuzu's, Chevy or Ford's we own. It seems to be built a lot better especially the cab.

Our only problem is the they have no mechanic in Topeka that knows anything about the LCF. So when it's had to go in for a code, it had to go to KC 60-miles away.

We only have 28,000 miles on it, it isn't driven daily because it's a support truck. It has 60-pieces of drying equipment and Injectidry units on it ready for monitoring or help for bigger losses.

Becker

Name
Becker
What are you tipping the scales at these days?

Not you personally, the aerotech. I've seen all the stuff you pack in there.

I do have to agree with the above... Teach him to down shift, and make dam sure he does not hold his foot on the brake when not needed.
I've ridden with a lot drivers who will leave their foot on the brake when coasting down a big hill. Not a lot of pressure, but enough to make contact between the rotor and pads, or shoes and drums. Causing a great deal of heat.

Bob Foster

An engine brake is different than and exhaust brake.

An exhaust brake uses a butterfly valve behind the turbocharger or in the exhaust pipe to restrict the flow of exhaust gas. When the valve is closed, the butterfly restricts the exhaust flow much like the old "potato-up-the-tailpipe" and holds a maximum of 30 to 60 psi at the exhaust manifold.

A Jake Brake or engine brake works like this. By opening the cylinder exhaust valves when the piston reached top dead center, rather than at the end of the power stroke the accumulated compressed air in the cylinder could be vented before it could act as a 'spring' to drive the piston back down again. By doing this, the engine acts as an air compressor, with the energy used to compress the air coming from the transmission, hence retarding the vehicle.

Bob Foster

With an automatic in a Nissan and "staff" driving them they will toast that tranny if you get them to downshift unless they know exactly what they are doing. Higher RPM downshifts will kill a $6000 tranny FAST! If it had an Allison New World programable 3000 tranny in it - no problem but it doesn't.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Like a compression relief on a bike?

I use to ride my friends Yamaha YZ motocross with a compression relief, it didn't need brakes on the corners.

We have neither on any of our box trucks, but not too many hills, those we have a smaller.

Becker

Name
Becker
With an automatic in a Nissan and "staff" driving them they will toast that tranny if you get them to downshift unless they know exactly what they are doing. Higher RPM downshifts will kill a $6000 tranny FAST! If it had an Allison New World programable 3000 tranny in it - no problem but it doesn't.

Well, ya teach your staff how to clean, proper customer service, bidding, why not how to drive the equipment?
Going over a hill because of over heated brakes will ruin more than the tranny.

What's the biggest crime committed by a Tranny?
Male fraud

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My old chev with the big red had mushy brakes, coming down one of the mountains here I was really hoping I'd stop by the end of the road! They got mushier the more I used them. Wasn't the fluid, was the pads.

Had some high heat pads installed a while back on them, really made difference. Can't remember what they were called but I think they were more metallic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom