GM 'R' & 'K' codes

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
What is the difference between the two. I have Chev van in need of a replacement engine with an 'R' code. I found a 'K' code with 40kms for a decent price. Clutch-drive unit to be installed. I have an almost new brain-box for the 'R' engine. Any ideas?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Your R code engine is a 96-02 Vortec. The K code engine is a 87-95, not a Vortec. Intake manifolds are different, among other things.

Reactions: dealtimeman

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Thanks Dan. It's 5.7 that I'm dealing with, and the parts (fan spacer) in particular is what I need to know will bolt right to the engine block, and the brackets that hold the drive shaft alongside the engine also.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Rob, not sure if everything will bolt up. The big issues are:

The non-Vortec motors are TBI, and the newer R motor is CSFI.

• The wiring harness and computer is completely different for the throttle body injection versus the sequential injection.
  • Fuel pressure is different (you would have to change to the older fuel pump).
  • Ignition is different (the Vortec motor has a plastic timing cover with crank-position sensor, and harmonic balancer has a matching toothed wheel, older motor doesn't).
  • Bolt pattern on the right-side exhaust manifold is different, although the required bolt hole may be present on the K motor (and may even be tapped).

It can be done, but will not be trivial. The K motor makes less HP to boot. Are you sure you want to go down this road?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom