Going door to door

Name
I'm Rick James
If you think about it postcards and flyers are really a passive way for marketing. Kinda like fishing. Its a great way to get work and I will continue to do it, but has anyone done door to door marketing? We have door to door salesmen and women come to our door trying to sell direct tv, comcast, verizon, newspapers, ect.

I was thinking of hiring a girl/women between 25-35. One that carries herself good, positive, educated and professional. I am just wondering if the direct contact with a non threatening female will help land jobs. Since most of the contacts will usually on average be older females and stay at home moms. Her attitude would have to play a big factor in success. Have her dressed in my uniform, With lots of different sales material. Maybe even a dvd with a laptop to help display our business. Also leave the 8 oz spotter bottle with the private label.

I have never done this and dont know of any company doing this the person i described. I think if I went around and did it, the customer would have more of a guard up and may not even answer the door because of it being a strange man.

I am curious has anyone done the door to door? If I did hire a person like that I would pay them commission with a reward and bonus structure. I would probably go up to 15-20 % of the job with bonuses and rewards. Maybe offer the free room offer with the purchase of our minimum services as the special. Or have a few different options for specials.

Would love to get feedback and opinions..

thanks

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The female thing might work because of what you said. If I went to the home of an elderly lady, she probably wouldn't open the door either.
We have some populated senior communities around here that it might work in.
Def depends on the area.

Just having Jen's pic on my website with me helps with business. Makes them feel comfortable.

Try it and tell us what happens.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Hey Brent, this is basically how i got my business started back in June of 2008. I purchased professional uniforms, designed professional flyers and brochures and hit the pavement. I had routes (a,b,c,d,e) On mondays i would hit route a which would be (for example) mill creek. I would spend all day going door to door until it got dark outside. I did this every single day until I was to busy to keep up with the work that was generated from doing this.

But wait, i am also a complete bullshit artist so maybe i didn't... :)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've done door to door plenty. I've giving the advice in many threads. It works and it works well. It is the most overlooked sales technique in my opinion. I still do it if I have extra time between jobs to kill. I ask the customer whose house I just finished if they would mind if I could leave my truck parked in the street while I introduce myself to their neighbors. I also ask if it's ok if I use their name when introducing myself. One key when doing it is after knocking on the door stand back 10-15 ft so they have a safe zone to open the door. Always face the door without sunglasses or hats. you do better if you don't try to sale anything. I apologize for all the noise while I was cleaning Mrs. Smith carpet, tile, furniture whatever. Of course always use whatever you just cleaned. I own entire neighborhoods with the technique.

Gene

Bob Foster

bensurdi said:
Hey Brent, this is basically how i got my business started back in June of 2008. I purchased professional uniforms, designed professional flyers and brochures and hit the pavement. I had routes (a,b,c,d,e) On mondays i would hit route a which would be (for example) mill creek. I would spend all day going door to door until it got dark outside. I did this every single day until I was to busy to keep up with the work that was generated from doing this.

But wait, i am also a complete bullshit artist so maybe i didn't... :)

So when you were a door to door salesman 13 months ago was that when you were a mortgage broker or when you were an investment consultant or when you were a carpet cleaner?

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Brent, i'd usually say door-to-door would not be advisable...but you've got a good idea with the 25-35yr old woman. Dressed right, well-spoken, good sales skills.....wham! Think you'd get some work for sure! Great idea. Good luck if/when you try and let us know if you do.

Peter

I saw a guy from Little Ceasars Pizza standing on the corner with a paper guitar jamming away or atleast pretending. The guitar said 5 dollar pizza right here. They are just trying to get people in the store. They used to have a guy in a gorilla outfit stand on the corner, but this teenage kid going Van Hallen and head banging will get your atttention. Now grab a wand and stick a hot chick on the corner like she is cleaning a carpet while another girl passes out your flyer. Just a thought and would almost surely work better than going door to door if you are starving.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Daniel,
Your thinking with the wrong body part. A hot chick, your target audience is women not men.
Door to door works better it puts you right in front of a person who owns a home. The decision maker is almost always the woman and that is who will likely be home. As far as starving before you would do it all I can say is all advertising is designed to prevent that. If you are a large company then you have to find many avenues to get to your target audience. If you are a one truck show it only costs your time and will help to concentrate your work. Less gas,less driving means more money in your pocket. Everybody who owns a kirby or Encyclopedia Britannica fell to door to door sales men. Everybody has a right to their own opinion but you shouldn't knock something that you haven't tried.

Gene

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Around here, a guy going door to door wouldn't work so well. Maybe a younger kid mid 20's who looks 15.
If you are going to send a lady...don't send knock out dressed in heals...you would want to send a "nice" looking lady...not as in pretty nec, but friendly and unthreatening.

I like the idea but the only problem I can see is that any lady worthy of doing this particular job would probably have a real job already and wouldn't have to go door to door.

I still like the internet.

Name
I'm Rick James
I agree Brian a guy doing the door to door would not work as well. You have to think of the customers psychological thinking when having someone coming to their door. I think a semi young women would help break down guards and have a better chance of establishing communication.

Daniel, yeah I am not talking about advertising to men. This girl is going to be dressed in a uniform that i wear, no high heals. I really dont understand why you have to be starving to do this. It just seems an aggressive way of getting target clients. I dont know of it ever being done like I mentioned, but the comcast, direct tv's do it for a reason I guess. I just got to try and ans see the results.

I am going to do it, right now I am looking for the right women. Like Brian said finding that women that fits the profile is not going to be easy. I am starting with family and friends.

Basically its a saleman for residential, just like one does for commercial. I think we all agree direct contact is the best way to land a customer.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Brent,
Maybe send some postcards first?
If they see the same name on her/your shirt as they do on a postcard they recieved the day before, they may be more likely to listen.

If you are doing this as an alternative I get that, but def have some kind of literature to hand them either way.

Name
I'm Rick James
The postcards is always going to be mailed, maybe not always to the same area this person will work. I am hoping a person can hit over 100 houses a day. Not sure on what to expect. I have not doubt it would work. Its finding the right person to pull it off is going to be the hard part.

With the little feedback, I am assuming this has not been a option for companies. I am going to try it and let you know how it goes.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Brent,

Just an idea to consider have her ride in the truck that is working and have her go around to the homes while your guy is cleaning. That way they can see and hear the truck. Your right, finding that person is the hardest. I disagree that it has to be a woman. I do it without any problem. It is one of the oldest sales techniques. Good luck.

Gene

Name
I'm Rick James
GeneMiller said:
Brent,

Just an idea to consider have her ride in the truck that is working and have her go around to the homes while your guy is cleaning. That way they can see and hear the truck. Your right, finding that person is the hardest. I disagree that it has to be a woman. I do it without any problem. It is one of the oldest sales techniques. Good luck.

Gene

I may have to go with hiring a guy to do it. The women i want probably has better things to do. I want someone with brains. I'd ask my girl/friend/?, but I think it would be a major step back for her.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Brent,

Most people resist the idea of going door to door, maybe it's akin to a telemarketer. I am there to sale something but I don't lead with that. I also happen to have a boy next door look which is not threatening. Two things that are very important is stand back from the door. You have to allow for that safety area and always face the door so that they can see your face. It works really well if you use the name of their neighbor, with their permission of course, to get the door open.

Gene

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
GeneMiller said:
Brent,

Most people resist the idea of going door to door, maybe it's akin to a telemarketer. I am there to sale something but I don't lead with that. I also happen to have a boy next door look which is not threatening. Two things that are very important is stand back from the door. You have to allow for that safety area and always face the door so that they can see your face. It works really well if you use the name of their neighbor, with their permission of course, to get the door open.

Gene

This is important when you are there to clean to.
Some guys crowd the door and just welcome themselves in...I've worked with those kind of guys.
The Same kind of guys who are smoking a cig while walking up to the door.
Some just don't get it.

Name
I'm Rick James
GeneMiller said:
Brent,

Gene

Good advice. I would do it but I am to ugly and big. Friends tell me I can be intimidating because I of my size. Not fat. I think clear speaking, good body language, smile, direct eye contact plays a hugh factor.
Gene what kind of return did you get? What did you had out and present. For those who book I am going to give them a 8 oz spotter bottle with company info, ect.

thanks for your input.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The Same kind of guys who are smoking a cig while walking up to the door.
Some just don't get it.

Brian my helper smokes and he is one of them that doesn't get it. He is not allowed to smoke the entire day. I don't want him smelling of cigarettes. He thinks it's just me.

Brent on the initial contact unless they invite me in I just leave my magnet. I don't want to come across to pushy. After all I just came by to apologize for the noise. You should also train all your guys to go and talk to neighbors who are outside where they are working. It's an easy introduction.

Gene

rick imby

Name
Rick
I love it when people have to abbreviate things all the time. It is usually an indication that they are ICI. Like the Military. What the Heck is a JW?

And why do I have to ask do you not know how to spell what a JW is?

Rick

Do you know what and ICI is?

Name
steve snail
If'n I was hungry and or looking to add more biz being an owner operator. I personally would hit the bricks in my uniform and start knocking on the right doors. People will know instinctively if you are to be trusted.

Name
I'm Rick James
Steve in Omaha said:
If'n I was hungry and or looking to add more biz being an owner operator. I personally would hit the bricks in my uniform and start knocking on the right doors. People will know instinctively if you are to be trusted.

Why do you have to be hungry or be an O/O to do the door to door. I like to look at learn from successful companies, learned alot from people here. In the last few months I have had comcast, verizon, direct tv and JW come to my door oh and some guy selling meat.
I start to wonder why does these successful multimillion dollar companies do this. They even have commercials on TV saying their doing it.(comcast) I start to wonder why their R&D department decided to have door to door as part of their marketing plan. They are going back to one of the oldest models for sales. Door to door. I think its more of an aggressive way of getting new quality clients. Like I mention if you think about it postcards and flyers are really a passive way of marketing.
For it to work you have to have the right person, with the right look and with the right attitude. One that is non threatening to these women. That is a hugh factor, what goes through the customers head when they answer the door.

I am looking for the right person and going to try it. I will update you on the progress.

Gene out of 100 houses what was your success rate?

Becker

Name
Becker
It might be a good idea and might work well Brent.

I like to play with numbers.

1st of all, how much are you going to pay her? Is she going to work under the table? Employee? Or contractor?

How many homes do you think she can hit per day?

What time of day will she hit the streets?

I got a lot of door to door sales people, lawn guys, alarms, dish, books, magazines, coupon books, vacs, blaa blaa blaa. Best thing I ever did was put up the no soliciting sign.

Anyways, most often they came thought after the dinner hour.

In the SNOHO county home break ins are on the rise. What time of day do you suppose is most common? between 10am-2pm, why. Because that is when the home is mostly to be empty.

Before 10am is not a good time, people are still waking up, getting kids off to school.
10am-2pm I think you will find a lot of doors not being answered.
2-4 kids are getting home from school, parents are transporting, waiting at bus stops.
4-6 preparing for dinner, eating dinner. Grumpy dad just rolled in from a long day and an even longer commute.

I guess that is why most door to door sales happen after the dinner hour.

Ok, Still how many doors do you think a friendly girl will get to in a 5 hour shift?
Of those 5 hours how many will answer? Waiting for a reply to a door bell is a time killer.
Now what about this, chatting old guy, or woman. That can kill 30 mins easy.
Ok, all personal contract made, how many are slightly unhappy with the current cleaner they have? How many need services soon? How many just had it done?
Of course... giving away spotter will have a long shelf life, and calls could come in months later.

I'd suggest before hiring someone to hit the streets yourself.
Get an avg house count per hour.
Figure your costs for the venture.

BTW, knocking door to door may require a permit. I think Mill Creek requires as does the City of SnoHo.

Hope it works for you, you will do very well. You seem to have a lot of drive!

Name
I'm Rick James
Thats some good info Don. There is alot of things to consider. I got one job on monday, maybe we can cruise up to lake steven and take ben out to lunch. Get to know him.

Becker

Name
Becker
I will be done working across the lake from Ben about 1pm.

Hey Brent,
I'm not trying to discourage you. Just telling you what I'd consider.
I really think it could bring in work. And we all know for a starting business any work is good work as it will bring in many more jobs in referrals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom