Good griefs, how the hell is this supposed to work?

Mikey P

Administrator
Join Cleaning Management Institute in partnership with Restoration Technical Institute for a virtual series dedicated to carpet cleaning.

The Carpet Repair and Re-installation Course will discuss techniques and safety issues related to carpet repair and re-installation, carpet construction, inspection process prior to cleaning, tools of the trade, floor preparation, adhesives, carpet cushion installation, tackless strip and moldings, seaming, and proper stretching. Additionally, learn about various repairs that may come up while dealing with an installed textile.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Members of the following industries: Carpet Cleaning Professionals, Restoration & Remediation, Insurance, Facility & Property Management, Janitorial & Custodial, Construction, and Flooring.

LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Gain insight and understanding to learn how to repair and re-install carpet in-house and, make decisions to call subcontractors, manage the quality and costs of outsourcing. Curriculum including but not limited to carpet care and management, water mitigation, installations and repairs.

Registration Price: $419.
DATESTuesday, October 20, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)
Wednesday, October 21, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)
Thursday, October 22, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Speaking of, repairs/ re-installs.
it has been a while since the Tri-Force stretcher has been mentioned.

I have quite a few, re-stretches , coming up. Occupied, in condos, with tons of furniture.
Each one being it's own animal.
I have power stretchers. But these are making that tri-force look attractive.

At least if it is as was advertised a while back.
& wondering if this tool has been incorporated at all in the material, as an option. ?
Which, I guess , is a way of asking if it has been legitimized by the industry. Or, should I say the industry gurus!!! ?🙂

Last edited:

Lamesalegend

Tri force is a great tool. I have the Tri Force MAX. When you get it you need to force yourself to only use it. It takes a little time to get used to and is one of those tools that don't seem helpful when you first start using it. I has changed the way I stretch. For instance I use a stand up pinning tool like the one in the video demos. I often cut a carpet short then stretch to fit (sounds bad but with experience I've never had a problem and it's so much faster. In other words if im pretty sure im going to end up with a half inch to trim off along a wall ill just cut/trim of a half inch BEFORE the stretch then stretch and pin that all while standing up). I know this isn't proper but man is it faster not to have to stretch then trim then tuck.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Join Cleaning Management Institute in partnership with Restoration Technical Institute for a virtual series dedicated to carpet cleaning.

The Carpet Repair and Re-installation Course will discuss techniques and safety issues related to carpet repair and re-installation, carpet construction, inspection process prior to cleaning, tools of the trade, floor preparation, adhesives, carpet cushion installation, tackless strip and moldings, seaming, and proper stretching. Additionally, learn about various repairs that may come up while dealing with an installed textile.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Members of the following industries: Carpet Cleaning Professionals, Restoration & Remediation, Insurance, Facility & Property Management, Janitorial & Custodial, Construction, and Flooring.

LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Gain insight and understanding to learn how to repair and re-install carpet in-house and, make decisions to call subcontractors, manage the quality and costs of outsourcing. Curriculum including but not limited to carpet care and management, water mitigation, installations and repairs.

Registration Price: $419.
DATESTuesday, October 20, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)
Wednesday, October 21, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)
Thursday, October 22, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT)

A few fair questions:

"Who do you know who repairs and installs carpet with only visual, on line training?"

Or

"Would you hire someone to repair or install your carpet who only had visual, on line training?"

I understand that all knowledge is valuable, and that cleaners and restorers who learn all they can about their craft would likely benefit from the program, but this comment needs to be challenged unless they can give affirmative answers to the two questions above:

learn how to repair and re-install carpet in-house

FredC

Village Idiot
I attended Barry's IICRC repair and reinstallation course** and I'm not sure it is really better in the grand scheme of things.....any actual hands on is limited by time, class size, and an 8x10 demo area with a couple steps.

A participant in either probably shouldn't be out performing work in a customers home if that is all the knowledge/experience they have.

**also offered via live stream

Mikey P

Administrator
I attended Barry's IICRC repair and reinstallation course and I'm not sure it is really better in the grand scheme of things.....any actual hands on is limited by time, class size, and an 8x10 demo area with a couple steps.

A participant in either probably shouldn't be out performing work in a customers home if that is all the knowledge/experience they have.

same story here and I was worthless when I left that class ..****** up a few customers floors and gave it up

FredC

Village Idiot
same story here and I was worthless when I left that class ..****** up a few customers floors and gave it up

I had been doing install/stretching and repairs daily....I guess I did learn the "proper" way

but I wouldn't have hired anybody that just had the class

that said I learned on the fly at different jobs ...........the first job I ever stretched I did with my only experience being watched my brother in law (installer) do it 6 months prior

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

That's why an intensive, multi day hands on class is far better.

An apprenticeship type program where someone can get to do several jobs would be best, if more difficult to make available to people.

Name
Lee Stockwell
My oldest son, Jeremy, caught all kinds of flak for expressing doubt about our (cottage) industry training for installation and repair.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ugh, I hate carpet repairs, Upholstery, and Monkeys. But I still do them because I'm good at it. Well, I don't do monkeys..... or birds, I hate birds also.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Tri force is a great tool. I have the Tri Force MAX. When you get it you need to force yourself to only use it. It takes a little time to get used to and is one of those tools that don't seem helpful when you first start using it. I has changed the way I stretch. For instance I use a stand up pinning tool like the one in the video demos. I often cut a carpet short then stretch to fit (sounds bad but with experience I've never had a problem and it's so much faster. In other words if im pretty sure im going to end up with a half inch to trim off along a wall ill just cut/trim of a half inch BEFORE the stretch then stretch and pin that all while standing up). I know this isn't proper but man is it faster not to have to stretch then trim then tuck.
Lamesalegend,
what type head do you have? I looked into the cotton head . was considering maybe getting one for my pstretcher, as well as my kicker. They were quite a bit of $$$. Of course, no one has them readily available.
Supposedly , with them there is no risk of tearout, pulling tufts.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
A few fair questions:

"Who do you know who repairs and installs carpet with only visual, on line training?"

Or

"Would you hire someone to repair or install your carpet who only had visual, on line training?"

I understand that all knowledge is valuable, and that cleaners and restorers who learn all they can about their craft would likely benefit from the program, but this comment needs to be challenged unless they can give affirmative answers to the two questions above:
I think it would be good for someone like myself and my son. I've been doing restretches and repairs for almost 15 years. I've taught my son. Neither of us are certified. If I were to want to get certified, this would be a viable option. I did look into it and I didn't like the online test. You couldn't go back and change any answers if you changed your mind.

F

FB7777

Well here’s my $419 money saving tip

your local installers are swamped, offer to help an installer for a day or two

, Matt and I went on a few installs with a retailer we work with

we got enough of a free education that we decided it isn’t worth the time doing repairs for our company

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well here’s my $419 money saving tip

your local installers are swamped, offer to help an installer for a day or two

, Matt and I went on a few installs with a retailer we work with

we got enough of a free education that we decided it isn’t worth the time doing repairs for our company
I shake my head every time I see Robert Atlas pushing his repair franchise. I get that there's money in repairs, but who would want to do that all the time. I guess everyone has their thing. I get so many calls for repairs. I do them, but I'm very selective. I don't like showing up for 1 cat chewed corner or a restretch with a room full of furniture and 45 degree angles.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I actually like doing repairs. I have cracked tile replacement/repair coming up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom