Good News for Genesis DXT Owners

Thought I would do a quick post on a unit that is coming in for reengineering. If anyone owns one of these, this might be something that could help you in the future. Dan Barkley is bringing me his Genesis DXT to be completely reengineered.

genesisdxt2.jpg

Dan had seen my videos on Youtube where I had reengineered the Blueline Thermalwave. We will be doing the usual chop-chop, strip-strip of all unnecessary parts and converting it into a high-performance propane heating system that will sustain 240 high flow.

Dan has had quite a few issues with this unit and feels he would like to have it converted into a more reliable system that consists of common, local parts. Dan spent over $40,000 for this machine and it really doesn’t have a lot of hours. I think he told me it has something like 1,000 hours on it. It has developed a problem where it will not get over 160 degrees.

This unit is a good candidate for us to reengineer because all of his major components are still good; engine, pump, and blower. We will turn the system back into just a water-cooled engine just turning the pump and blower. We will also convert the water system to where the pump pumps cold only and the regulator pumps cold water only. We will also be able to lower the rpm of the engine which will extend the life of the engine and lower the fuel consumption.

Dan has it mounted in a diesel Sprinter van. He will be using propane for his heater. With the lowering of the rpm of the engine and the fuel savings, it will probably equal his propane costs. If anyone has one of these units I will keep you informed of the progress of this conversion.

About a year and a half ago I did a reengineering on a Blueline Thermalwave for Jeff Woods. To give you an update on that unit, he is able to run the rpms of the engine very low now and it hardly uses any fuel. The system is also extremely quiet. Jeff has had no issues with the unit since I reengineered it for him other than the fact that the heat is so good he has to turn it down. Jeff uses Greenie high flow wands.

2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBzsBKM0Us2]

2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDu9ji19AK42]

2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKTxCIcKDM2]

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
That machine is nice with the blue lights. Whats wrong with the heat? Whats malfuntioning? I told everyone propane is the future

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hey if it has a heli coil keep that as a preheater....itll save some on propane....

plus ifn you want to fill jugs with warmer water, instead of using the propane...

I wanna know if you can take my Everest and put the motor blower and pump on one of your waste tanks???

woodsey

Hey Les,Dan My Judsonized Blueline makes me smile every day. I Run it on upholstery setting to clean carpet and it will do 15 hg no problem on cut pile nylon. Gobs of heat. Best of all NOOOO PROBLEMS . This unit will last the rest of my career with proper maint and average luck. After the mod on the DXT it will be one hell of a powerful and extreemly reliable unit with that motor. My modified Thermalwave will be happy to hear its getting a " little brother" . Have fun fellas and keep us posted .

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Thanks for the update Les.

If my thermalwave starts acting up I'll ship it to you for a re-work.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm sure the heat problem is a non-functioning diverter box. I still have to baby-sit my Genesis (03), with my problem being the valve doesn't always respond when it gets super hot. I can still maintain 230* plus when everything is working right.

A propane or kero heater would make things easier to operate, though.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
rwcarpet said:
I'm sure the heat problem is a non-functioning diverter box. I still have to baby-sit my Genesis (03), with my problem being the valve doesn't always respond when it gets super hot. I can still maintain 230* plus when everything is working right.

A propane or kero heater would make things easier to operate, though.

Oh....I paid about $20,000 back in 03 for my Genesis 59, with all the goodies and power hose reel.

hogjowl

Idiot™
A propane or kerosene heater would simplify things, but don't forget the downside of them. I have been using propane heat for over 20 years, so I must like it ok, but the heat those things puts off inside the van is horrible. I have had to reglue the headliner in my 2004 van twice, and the fan in my roof vent is almost completely burned out. I guess you can't have everything ... but somebody needs to come up with a way to mount a fan between the cab and the cargo area, so the heat is blown out the back of the van while in operation. Not a jerry-rigged contraption either ...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Porkchop it's called Heat Exchange! :p
(that's for Joey)

Seriously all slide in's are going to generate heat, it's not just the heater, it's the powerplant giving off most of the heat.

Even Butlers warm up the cab a little, unless it's one in a box truck.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Has he done anything to it to fix the problem or is he just going to blow a big wad on a perfectly good machine. Ever since I figured out the problem on my Genesis, it has been very reliable.

Doug Cox said:
Has he done anything to it to fix the problem or is he just going to blow a big wad on a perfectly good machine. Ever since I figured out the problem on my Genesis, it has been very reliable.

Doug,

I’m sorry you got your feelings hurt about Power Clean. I can see you’re a little sensitive. Let me tell you a little more about this perfectly good machine. The purpose of this post was not to slam someone. The purpose was to help people who are in a bind.

Dan spent about $40,000 on this system and has been having problems with it from day one. He took it in for warranty repair and they bypassed the blower preheater and sent him on his way. It later developed exhaust diverter problems and Power Clean asked him to come back in for a one day repair. He ended up staying in a hotel for 5 days. Then when he got home he received a bill for $1200, and yes I asked if he let it freeze. He told me that all of this happened during summer.

Also, Dan has to replace the belts every 50 hours on this unit. He wants to use high flow and even when this unit was working perfectly it would not sustain temperature on high flow like it will when I get through with it. Dan is having severe problems with the exhaust diverter filling the inside of the truck with black diesel exhaust. He tried to put an after market diverter on it from John’s Heat Exchangers but its not working.

Dan spent all this money on this low-time unit that you think is perfectly good. What do you suggest he do? Just take a loss on it and go buy another complicated machine just like it with proprietary parts? I’m offering Dan an opportunity to retain his investment, simplify his unit, increase the reliability of it, and increase his heat performance. I’m just offering an option for someone to keep from having to take a loss on a major investment. If Dan’s machine is perfectly good, why would he be calling me to ask me to reengineer it? I’ve never had one person call me and say, “Hey Les, My machine is running so great and performing so well that I want to bring it to you so you can reengineer it for me.”

When Judson reengineers a truckmount, we look at the complete system, not just repairing known problems. We do a total evaluation. For instance, we always check the gearing and the belting system to see if it is inefficient. It is quite obvious that this unit is under-belted like the Vortex is. What we will do is increase the diameter of the pulleys. This allows the belt to drive more horsepower. If you had a unit with two 5 inch pulleys and you calculated the horsepower and the calculation gave you 10 hp, by increasing to two 10 inch pulleys, your horsepower on the same belt would increase to about 30 horsepower. We eliminate all unnecessary electrical switches, safeties, shutdowns, bypasses and relays. We increase CFM by eliminating blower preheaters. We decrease hoursepower requirements by allowing the system to breathe better. We lower the rpm of the engine to extend the engine life and fuel consumption because it is no longer used for heating. We install factory mufflers on the engine so the engine runs correct backpressure. An engine has a minimum and a maximum on backpressure.

Doug, it is quite obvious you know how to turn a wrench to keep your unit running. Dan just wants to clean carpet without having to constantly work on his machine.

Walt

Les,

I ran into some strange stuff with the blower inlet filter at the 2000 hour mark that you might want to know about. We found a clever fix for it you may want to copy or improve on. Oddly I changed my belts at the 1000 hour mark. No problems there. Maybe they put larger pullies on mine.

My prediction is that you end up with the ultimate reliable dual wand machine. That machine should not have a blower beat exchanger.

Looking forward to updates. Maybe I'll send you mine too.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
If the DXT machine has a diesel engine, wouldn't a diesel burner be a better option, since the truck is also diesel? That way you would only have one fuel, and great heat also.

I assume you are more familar with propane, but still.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Loren Egland said:
If the DXT machine has a diesel engine, wouldn't a diesel burner be a better option, since the truck is also diesel? That way you would only have one fuel, and great heat also.

Now that would be one bad mutha...

Becker

Name
Becker
I wonder who has taken a propane heated machine somewhere to get it re-engineer as a heat exchanger..

1st stop YOUTUBE..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Diesel burns real dirty, and stinks, not something I would want in my van.. Not to mention all the soot.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
JHC Les- I didn't ask the question as an attack on you. I have nothing against you and know you know what you are doing. I've been through the Powerclean experience and believe me, I know how that works. I lived with my machine for a year or two constantly shutting down and finally found the problem to be that the computer was mounted in the middle of the machine and the heat was causing it to shut down. I moved the computer out of the machine and life has been good ever since. The belts are another issue that I have dealt with. Luckily I replaced mine a couple times a years due to the fact that I installed cooling fans on the machine to blow the hot air out of the rear of the van. I actually have 18 belts on hand to change when needed, not to mention a handful of expensive parts that I might not be able to find on short notice. Powerclean was an awful company to deal with plain and simple and I pity anyone who has to live with one of their machines and has no mechanical ability. Like Robert said, it sounds like a diverter "system" issue. I was only curious as to what might have been done to solve this machines issues prior to bringing it to you. And believe me, I would go out of my way to help anyone with a Powerclean Genesis or HM CDS. I've spent enough time working on both machines.

Walt said:
Les,

I ran into some strange stuff with the blower inlet filter at the 2000 hour mark that you might want to know about. We found a clever fix for it you may want to copy or improve on. Oddly I changed my belts at the 1000 hour mark. No problems there. Maybe they put larger pullies on mine.

My prediction is that you end up with the ultimate reliable dual wand machine. That machine should not have a blower beat exchanger.

Looking forward to updates. Maybe I'll send you mine too.

Walt,

Thanks for the reply. It may be several months before he brings his unit to me. I told him that I would help him the best I could over the phone with any other issues to keep it going for him.

Dan really is a good guy who is in a bad situation. If you don’t mind I will pm you his phone number and maybe you can help him out until he gets the unit down to you. Also, get him to tell you about his previous truckmount purchase. That is an unbelievable story.

Loren Egland said:

Loren,

The reason I want to stay with propane is reliability. The Little Giant has no injector pump, atomizers, spark magnetos, or flow switches. Plus it is a clean burn.

Becker said:
I wonder who has taken a propane heated machine somewhere to get it re-engineer as a heat exchanger..

1st stop YOUTUBE..

Becker,

That is one funny post there. There have been a lot of propane units converted to heat exchangers, but they all eventually got converted back.

Mikey P

Administrator
Willow Flycatcher (WIFL) is a rather uncommon fall migrant in Santa Cruz
County (SCZ). The ability of birders to detect and identify WIFL (and other
members of its genus) in our region has greatly improved in the last 10-15
years, thus fall migrant WIFL were not even reported annually in SCZ prior to
1986. Since then, however, 1-20 individuals have been reported each fall
(average 6.8 birds). (Note: there was no consistent, intensively run banding
operation in SCZ during this period).

Doug Cox said:
JHC Les- I didn't ask the question as an attack on you. I have nothing against you and know you know what you are doing. I've been through the Powerclean experience and believe me, I know how that works. I lived with my machine for a year or two constantly shutting down and finally found the problem to be that the computer was mounted in the middle of the machine and the heat was causing it to shut down. I moved the computer out of the machine and life has been good ever since. The belts are another issue that I have dealt with. Luckily I replaced mine a couple times a years due to the fact that I installed cooling fans on the machine to blow the hot air out of the rear of the van. I actually have 18 belts on hand to change when needed, not to mention a handful of expensive parts that I might not be able to find on short notice. Powerclean was an awful company to deal with plain and simple and I pity anyone who has to live with one of their machines and has no mechanical ability. Like Robert said, it sounds like a diverter "system" issue. I was only curious as to what might have been done to solve this machines issues prior to bringing it to you. And believe me, I would go out of my way to help anyone with a Powerclean Genesis or HM CDS. I've spent enough time working on both machines.

Doug,

I’m sorry. No hard feelings. It’s just that I dug the trenches that carpet cleaners have been working in for years and now some of them have trench foot and want to take it out on me. Every now and then I don’t know how to take somebody.

I just think it’s another carpet cleaner with trench foot and a bad attitude. The only part about your question that got me was the part about him wasting a lot of money on a perfectly good machine. This man has only wasted about $40,000 already on a machine that doesn’t work half the time

Marty said:
A propane or kerosene heater would simplify things, but don't forget the downside of them. I have been using propane heat for over 20 years, so I must like it ok, but the heat those things puts off inside the van is horrible. I have had to reglue the headliner in my 2004 van twice, and the fan in my roof vent is almost completely burned out. I guess you can't have everything ... but somebody needs to come up with a way to mount a fan between the cab and the cargo area, so the heat is blown out the back of the van while in operation. Not a jerry-rigged contraption either ...

Marty,

I agree with you. I just feel that propane is the way to go, strictly because it gives you good performance and allows the truckmount to be built extremely simple and reliable. The part about the truckmount being simple and reliable and easy to repair with common parts outweighs the hassle of buying the propane as far as I’m concerned. Any piece of machinery regardless of what it is, if it is complicated, is going to have complicated problems. Simple machines always have simple problems when they have problems, which is rare.

About the heat issues in vans; if you notice, the TNT has the engine located between the passenger and driver’s seat.

100_3001-1.jpg

An air-cooled engine has a high-volume, high-pressured fan built in to them to blow the air across the heads. This discharge CFM is tremendous. By having the location where we have it, the engine actually draws fresh air in through the front of the vehicle and power-ventilates all the heat including the heater out the back of the vehicle.

014-1.jpg

004-3.jpg

With the engine mounted facing inwards from the side door, it basically just fills the van up with heat. This is why we have reengineered the C4 with the engine located like the TNT now.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Marty said:

I found that mounting a blower to move air across the TM isn't such a good idea. Doug has it right....you mount a high CFM fan so that you can pull air across the TM.....and leave your doors open in the van (summer use). I found a 15" car radiator fan and mounted it at the rear of the machine. It pulls air across the machine. I've done everything short of pulling the engine and blower on my Genesis. I changed out the torque drive system that drives the blower last month. (The newer Genny's didn't have the torque reduction system). My belts last about a year or two. I've changed out the APO twice. I had to pull the exhaust manifold a few years back because the "angled" exhaust pipe (45*) cracked and broke. I had to find replacement pipes at a plumbing supply store. It's not a machine that a non-wrencher would want to run.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Les Said
"This man has only wasted about $40,000 already on a machine that doesn’t work half the time"

Ain't that the fricking truth. Powerclean was a worthless company to get support from and I would love to help a guy out to solve a problem than to see him spend thousands more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom