Google....#1 of #1 on #1

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
So I still think that Google local is King but it's very obvious that any well SEOed website can get on top of the Google Places listing and take that coveted #1 slot.

Does it get the click? Does the red little marker of the #1 local get the click?

Does it matter?

You can have your Google local account and get to number 1 and I believe you will get the lions share of clicks (for our industry and similar industries).
But optimizing your website to get to the top of the top in an area that isn't "your's" I'm sure can prove click worthy.

Google's thing is relevance...."Do they have what the clicker is looking for"

I'm noticing that the bigger advertisers are still taking the #1 slot on top of Places but it's still reachable by the poor schlubs...even the 2 or 3 spot is showing sometimes and THEN the locals.

I think it goes to show that you need an awesome site even if you're at the top of your game for the local spot.

Yes....a moment with Brian. 8) Ivebeensold 8)

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't think being number 1 is not a important as it used to be with the new Google Places format.

If you are only in the top three on page one.

If you have the most client reviews you will draw the most clients whether you have a website or not.

Things have changed a lot to help the local businesses.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I get the review thing.

But I still think someone is going to click #1 first and then work their way down to about #3 or #4. Just my opinion...and I've read s little about it as well....not that THAT means anything.

The review will sway...esp if there are 26 compared to 1 or 2.

If they call right from places....reviews will probably win...if they go to the website...then the best website will win.

It really comes down to who answers their phone or not if they go down the list.

I will admit...when I am searching for a local company, I very rarely look at their website.

BUT....it's usually a restaurant or some other company that I already know...if I'm looking for a new service type company and I'm not sure who to use...I go to the website to judge them.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I just know that I get a lot of calls based solely on my reviews. They are not shopping down the list or price shopping.

They specifically want to do business with my company based on the number of reviews.

I don't think it would matter if my listing was #1 or #3.

I know prospects used to start with number one. But, now with the way G places appears, you can draw clients with those gold stars and number of reviews left open in all that white space.

Whomeam

As a consumer who routinely uses Yelp, Google and other websites to decide on every service I use, I think that reviews and position are both equally important. Like Brian said, i'm going to click #1 first, because they're #1. It seems like they did SOMETHING to become #1 on that site, so they're pretty obviously the first choice when making the decision.

Reviews do factor into it of course, and having a lot of reviews is important, but I would say that having the top spots are equally if not more important, seeing as how they're usually clicked first. If you have a few good reviews on there, a nice address to look at and look like a legit business, than you're much more likely to get their business than someone in the 6th or 7th spot. Just how it works out nowadays.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i dont base my choice on where google places shit...i want info on them so I can research it..

on the flip side....

it makes it easier to track down what i am looking for if they are on the 1st page...

but really if your stupid enough to base a choice on where google puts them or how much $$$ they spend to get there...then you deserve the shitty service that may come with it

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If someone puts the time and effort to get to the top of Google it probably means they care enough about their business and do really great work...not always....but for a local company it holds water.

Whomeam

floorguy said:
i dont base my choice on where google places shit...i want info on them so I can research it..

on the flip side....

it makes it easier to track down what i am looking for if they are on the 1st page...

but really if your stupid enough to base a choice on where google puts them or how much $$$ they spend to get there...then you deserve the shitty service that may come with it
It's the first thing people do, click on the first few spots and read the reviews. That's why i'm saying they're equally important in some aspects, but you're going to get more clicks and more attention if you're in the top few spots. That may not equal out to more jobs, but it's going to give you more chances.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Client reviews not only help with ranking. they are also, a great way for prospects to gauge a company with just a glance.

Much better than the "more information" that is on their own web site.

Every company says they are the best. But, when a prospect can view positive comments at a glance from their peers, it makes it easier for them to select that company gain trust and join the bandwagon.

If you pay attention you can also, see client reviews popping up on TV, the Sunday Newspaper ads and other media.

IMHO, A listing near the top with tons of reviews with perform better than a naked listing (No reviews)at the top.

Whomeam

"Client reviews not only help with ranking. they are also, a great way for prospects to gauge a company with just a glance.

Much better than the "more information" that is on their own web site. "

Dave, after taking a look at your website I can see why you're so adamant on saying this. Geee zus.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Whomeam said:
"Client reviews not only help with ranking. they are also, a great way for prospects to gauge a company with just a glance.

Much better than the "more information" that is on their own web site. "

Dave, after taking a look at your website I can see why you're so adamant on saying this. Geee zus.

A site is worthless if it is buried. (Um,,,,like yours)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Alright you 2...take it to the bird room. lol

Remember to read the "purpose of this room" thread. !gotcha!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Buuuuuut in Michael's defense....his sites been up for probably less than 2 weeks.

edit: And his google places listing isn't showing yet either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom