Google This Morning

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Woke up to yet another new Google.
The maps area has been changed...not sure if I like it.

At first I thought it was something I did but I don't think that was it.

Haven't looked around for articles about it.....again...not sure if I like it.

We'll see if it effects business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Maybe I have a setting changed that I don't know about....have looked into it yet. I've just never seen it like this before.

Where's Fred?

googlenew.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You're telling me!

They took off 12 reviews.

Usually the are back in a couple of days.

The week before they took off 21 reviews.

Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't complain.

Maps is larger.

It's pushing organic way to the bottom

And I'm on top with my picture.

Hey it's kind of cool!!

Hope it stay this way.

Tre and Rob will lose more sales.

Map will rule even more.

No more $1500 for a webpress site and $250 a month for SEO for those 2 losers!!!

When the newbies find out they can get better positioning for FREE!!

O'I forgot. They newbies can't find out because that forum is censored from relevant information if it hurts Robs sales.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
do you guys think maps is making organic SEO irreverent. I run mostly a water damage business, so in my line of work people are not going to check out a bunch of sites searching for the best deal, instead they are likely to call the first or second option for work, organic results are coming up way below the maps listings. I could see how carpet cleaning is different and people will check out a few sites before they call but water damage is different people want someone out now. is putting money into SEO for a water damage business a waste??

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
With the changes Google made today Organic sites have disappeared.

Irrelevant, it's gone!!!!!!!

So, if Google stays this way it will be super cool

Tre will find a new way to scam the newbies.

Cry to daddy!

Ryan

steve g said:
do you guys think maps is making organic SEO irreverent. I run mostly a water damage business, so in my line of work people are not going to check out a bunch of sites searching for the best deal, instead they are likely to call the first or second option for work, organic results are coming up way below the maps listings. I could see how carpet cleaning is different and people will check out a few sites before they call but water damage is different people want someone out now. is putting money into SEO for a water damage business a waste??

Sounds like old fashioned marketing would work well for you. If you keep your name in front of them, then your the first one they will think to call.

I assumed most WDR company's got their work from the insurance adjusters though?

Name
Bruce
This has finally changed for me, I'm number 1 for the map and can't find my listing in the organic :shock: I hate trying to keep up with all this crap. It would be much easier if had a job like Brian :p

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Ryan said:
steve g said:

Sounds like old fashioned marketing would work well for you. If you keep your name in front of them, then your the first one they will think to call.

I assumed most WDR company's got their work from the insurance adjusters though?

yeah but getting business that way, you are stuck in all the insurance politics and have to back scratch and butt kiss, ideally you get work direct from the customer, then your not having to discount your price. Plus I think fire damage you HAVE to get that from adjusters and from the insurance companies, however with WD I think a heathly margin of that comes from other sources other than insurance. insurance isn't alot of people's first thought when they look for getting a WD cleaned up. I have some money set aside I was planning to use for internet marketing but just can't decide where to put it, because if I was a customer with a water damage job, I probably click the maps listings.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bruce Humphrey said:
This has finally changed for me, I'm number 1 for the map and can't find my listing in the organic :shock: I hate trying to keep up with all this crap. It would be much easier if had a job like Brian :p

Brian has a job??

In this case change is good.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
[quote="Bruce Humphrey":au6bjaus]This has finally changed for me, I'm number 1 for the map and can't find my listing in the organic :shock: I hate trying to keep up with all this crap. It would be much easier if had a job like Brian :p

Brian has a job??

In this case change is good.[/quote:au6bjaus]

Lol @ both of you.
I'm the President and CFO of Service 1 Enterprises Inc.
So yes...I have a job. lol

We'll see this week if it helps or hurts...where I was number 1 in maps AND organics....I am now number 2 on the entire page....Damn what's his name from Pro Team...he's here somewhere. lol
I taught him everything he knows. J/k

Show your face!!! It's on buddy!!!! j/k again.

I'll keep everyone posted and please do the same.

Fricken Google.

Ackthpt

Name
Used Carpet Cleaning
Here's a good article about the anticipated effects of the changes:

http://www.smallbusinesssem.com/5-quick ... ults/3757/

Looks like the biggest difference will be those of you that participate in AdWords campaigns; since the layout of the page has changed, there is more room in the top middle listings.... time to check your bid amounts!

Cheers :)

Ack

latinguy2004

Dave Yoakum said:
Here is the REAL reason for the changes$$$$$$$$$$$$$:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010 ... -with.html

Who would of known?

I knew places would be free for a while and then .........

Just like drug dealers giving free crack to schoolchildren............

Wow, those Boost ads can definitely be a game changer. Time will tell though because it really just seems like a glorified version of Adwords PPC and research has shown that most people are blind to those nowadays.

I did get the new layout when I was doing some testing up in Illinois.

Here's the layout that I got:
screenshot2.png

Basically the main differences I'm seeing is that now the map is off to the side of the page and as you scroll down the page, it moves with you so it actually covers up all the PPC ads.

That could be why they came out with those Boost ads because this new layout would pretty much kill PPC ads in the right sidebar.

The other thing is that videos are now on the top instead of the bottom. So if you have videos uploaded to Youtube be sure they are properly titled and tagged so you can take over that area.

Finally, as others have pointed out, the Google Places results are now mixed in with the regular organic.

I did notice that in order for your Places Page to show up, you also need an optimized website for that area. That means that the ones that will really benefit are the ones that have both good SEO and a solid Google Places listing.

I actually like this new layout, it makes it easy for the client to make their decision based on social proof of all the reviews and it reinforces everything I do with both SEO and Google Places.

I don't think it means SEO is dead, it just means you need a good mix of Google Places and SEO.

Andres Tobar
SFS.JonDon.com

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so if I am understanding it right, the maps listings are going to be listed kinda like the organic listings but with little red points beside them?? how does one make sure their logo pops up too?? like the poster who showed an example with chem dry and adcomp?? what about the rankings, oh yeah and what is the best way to get your videos to rank??

Ryan

From the google blog that was posted.

In fact, research shows that 97% of people conduct research online before buying locally

Bullshit!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The first photo you upload into maps is the one that shows.

You can delete the others and start over..takes a few minutes.

I don't like the "More Results Near..." link. Needs to stand out more because most will just scroll.

If you're not in the top 7 to 10 it won't show on the front page..kinda like the old way...but for some reason it just seems more hidden.

So much for working on organics....still important...but Maps (Google Places) is where the work needs to be done now.

9 reviews gone...and I don't see them coming back.....time to call some good customers. !gotcha!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What I don't get is why doesn't Google have a longer front page....it could go on forever if they wanted it to.
Loading maybe?

They need to let me run the damn company. :shock: Ivebeensold :roll:

I really think that local should be the main search and then an entirely different search for organics.

where they have the "Web, Maps, Vids" etc. They could add an "Organic" link or something along those lines.

Oh well, bitching and moaning won't work unless you want to buy an electric truck mount.

Roll with it baby!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Is this Obama change or real change.

Long as I'm on top I don't care.

Let it shake out I bet the reviews come back.

You don't need to beg on FB.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes I do.

Begging is the poor mans vice.

Wait until my email blast goes out to every customer tomorrow.

Name
Bruce
FCC said:
latinguy2004 said:
I did notice that in order for your Places Page to show up, you also need an optimized website for that area.

Andres Tobar
SFS.JonDon.com

Crap.. :cry:
A few companies in my area do not have websites and they still have the "Places Page" link to the right of there listings.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
2 organics at top then the maps.

They may have replaced the organic listing with the map because my organic is no where to be seen. :shock:

The nearest one is my tile cleaning page....it's on page 7 of Google. :shock: :shock:

I didn't check everyone else yet but it seems the Yellowpage type companies are dominating the organics.

What a clusterfuck.....still might be a good thing...haven't decided yet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I believe they are linking organic sites and map sites together and they appear as the new places account.

My organic disappeared, which was always number 1 . But, now instead I have the#1 places listing.

With mainly directory listing and national companies in organic.

Seems now for a local company your organic site doesn't matter much.

Build what I call web cred and climb in local.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It was easier for the local stuff anyway...really I think time did more than anything...as long as the listing was complete.

I've been #1 in Roseville maps for as long as I've known about Maps....give or take a position or two.

I would say about 7 years or so? Not sure.
I hooked up with YP.com (att.com) in 03 and that's when it all started for me.

I guess we'll see.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I got one of my reviews back!!! lol

It was a scrape from Yahoo.

I just sent out an email blast to everyone asking to redo their reviews or give me a new one.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Just got my first review from the email blast that hit about 10 minutes ago or so.

Even if I get my reviews back...this will help out tremendously.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom