Got a fun little project for the following week.

Mikey P

Administrator
A lady down in Salinas had her raw cotton cushions man handled by a careless cleaner.
He tried to fix the "Haitian Cotton" but only got about half of the browning out.

Now it's my turn

What would YOU use to correct the chem burn and charge for doing so?

She will bring them to me as well as pick them up when done.

View attachment 1205View attachment 1206View attachment 1207

her cell phone pics, sorry

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had a customer have me clean some chairs like this once. There were lines on the cushions that looked like the wicker bled onto the fabric. I couldn't get it to come off. I assumed it was from the wicker. Never thought it might be browning.
The chairs had their back to a window that got alot of sunlight. Would browning treatment have taken that off?

mcatt

Name
Mike
I don't mess with jobs like that but do tell what your going to do? I prefer never to see Haitian cotton again

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
awe hit it with the RotoVac it'll be alright :bull:

might wipe off with a cotton safe rinse, back in my hole now

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What would YOU use to correct the chem burn and charge for doing so?
If he tried to clean with one of the Haitian cotton cleaners, it is not a chem burn.
Again, if he used a Haitian cotton cleaner, the residue will most likely neutralize the peroxide (as Dave suggests.)

Let chemistry do the work: I'd clean it with a Haitian cotton cleaner mixed correctly, apply generously, let dry in sun light and vacuum very well after it is dry.

Dirty Swirler

Name
Joel Hoppe
View attachment 1211View attachment 1212

This cushion was turned brown by poor cleaning and some diluted power gel from pros choice and spraying diluted citric acid improved the browning. A finish application of 20% peroxcide and hair dryer took out brown.

I would slowly test some products and dry fabric before proceeding.
Lots of testing on some fabrics because too much peroxide can damage and turn some cottons gray. Acid rinses and sunlight is safer, just slower.
With a trip out and back and testing the fabric $100-$150 just to try even if you can't fix it. Depends on how far away job is too. $200-$250 to save those cushions. It will cost more than that to buy new ones.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The first guy out told her it was Haitian, I know better.

I told her $150 to try, $500 if I succeed.
Hiatian is only one of the "non-refined" cottons. (In other words, that has remnants of the seed of the cotton in the fiber and will brown out due to the seeds releasing the brown color.)

Mikey P

Administrator
I'll start with a light acid rinse through the machine first to get out the unknowns then I'll use the sun and 3% to correct whats left, followed by another light rinse.

Those bisulfate reducers leave too much stench behind.

Reactions: Weebco

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I would start with the least aggressive approach and only move to the next step if necessary.

Mist with mild acid such as Fab-Set or Citric acid or a combination. Brush in.
Mist on mild reducer, sodium bisulfite in warm water, not too strong.
Rinse.
Clean with Fabric Shampoo, possibly follow with encap to prevent lignin from wicking back.
Oxidizer such as Hydrogen peroxide maybe accelerated with sunlight. Oxidizers can weaken cotton fabric. So can age and time in the sun. The oxidizer could be too much if the fabric is already weakened from other causes.

Reactions: GCCLee

Mikey P

Administrator
the worst of it..

20130117_102603_zpsea17fb87.jpg

fixed!

20130117_131131_zps9e60dea8.jpg

http://youtu.be/9C8679Uavb0

Reactions: Weebco and GCCLee

Mikey P

Administrator
All I'm doing with the more than powerful enough Mytee is rising the unknowns out.
The 40 diluted to 3% with distilled water is doing the magic..

I'll do a final rinse with the tm to get the peroxide out when Im done bleaching.

The $500 is given...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom