Got any home remedies for a blown back?

Mikey P

Administrator
Due to a car accident back in my teenage years I have a damaged lower disk that acts up every year or so.

It's been two or more years but here it is again.

I'm so stiff, Diesel had to put my pants on for me. I'm icing it up and popping the Ibuprofens but damn does it hurt!!!!

Too much pedaling up super steep hills over the long week end killed me.

ouch.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Get to a massage Therapist. Make sure and tell her to go deep. It will hurt like hell but you will feel great tomorrow.

Greenie

You ain't 25 anymore, act your age pops!

Muscles pull the spine, I'd start with a massage...Paula?

Bob Foster

Walking helps to restore back muscle balance.

If you are a one-sided cleaner like most it is really hard on muscle imbalance.

The biking may have exasperated the old injury but throwing equipment up on that truck is real hard on old bones too. Practice good body mechanics by lifting from the ground as much as you can with your knees without making your back act as a crane.

Keep your cargo as close as possible to your body trunk as you lift.

Avoid pivoting with your back with a load but instead reposition yourself by turning with your feet.

Stretching exercises every morning before work. http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/fle ... etches.htm

Swimming

Keep the weight off - not that your fat

matt sheppard

chiro care, massage good nutrition

mike

get a good chiropractor use one that has a therapeutic massage therapist in the same office, if you suffered disc damage you'll need one that uses an actuator. deep heat in a jacuzzi, good massage, good adjustment !!!!

take your vitamins, drink extra water, avoid the energy drinks.

although nothing helps to keep you awake at 3am doing commercial cleaning better than searing bolts of pain thru your backside

hope you feel better

matt

jwojtusik

mike, having a very bad back from 25yrs of baseball puts me in the same boat. the best thing is stretching everyday. you need to loosen up your hamstrings which is a leading factor in bad backs. 15 minutes of stretching each morning will do wonders for you. i have a great routine i can email you from a very good doctor. always keep and lifting under your legs not your back, instead of bending over to get things squat down to pick things up with your legs not your back.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
one day of rest and then get back out there with moderate work and gentle stretching with ice packs

it will get better on its own but I would go see a massage therapist at the least

get some naproxin and ship the ibuprofen

kind of like Bob says, you need to wand with the opposite hand ever now and then, really helps to balance your muscles

eat some meat

Bob Foster

Don't stretch with ice packs because it's dangerous. Stretch with heat packs.

Icing soft tissue anesthetizes it which then suppresses our natural warning mechanism - pain. If it hurts at the end of or in a range of motion of muscle or joint movement you should not be going there.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
When my back goes out....i get on my hands and knees and curl into a fetal position and rock till the spine has fully relaxed and separated...usually takes a half hour...looks crazy but DOES the job....

Jimbo

Thanks for the laugh, Bob! I can just see you in the ghetto ...telling the lady of the house that you'll finish up in just a bit...and you're hunched over like a cat in the corner...suckin on some oxygen!

Could you get your helper to snap a picture of that please?

Ditto about the friendly chiropractor...with an actuator.

Ditto about the spa every day.

One more thing Mike...it helps to have a 109 lb girlfriend to walk on your back!

Becker

Name
Becker
Do what I did.

My shoulder was really killing me last last year, and early this year.

Meds from the Doc, Glides form GG, OTC. Doc wanted to refer me to a physical therapist.

One problem with that. $$$$

So I'm currently dating a Physical therapist.

Life is good, she is awesome taking away stiffness! :shock:

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
Man... dude,I hate when that *#@# happens.At age 12 or 13 I totally messed up(tore) my lower lumbar.I remember having to miss a little school due to it.

Everyone has their favorite remedy.

The fetal position does work.Just keep your spine flat from neck to waist when laying down.

While I haven't tried the rocking motion,I will lay down with my head on a small pillow (so I can at least watch tv or read) with my knees pulled up to my chest,loosely,or you can rest them on a ottoman or something along the same line.

By the way,when younger and having to do the after mentioned stretch I found it a very welcomed plus to do it while laying down on a full size( bed size that is) heat pad.

As I have grown older I have found that with consistent core exercises/training,my lower back has really not had any flare ups.

Another thing to consider is physical conditioning to better prepare yourself/body for your biking excursions.
While I don't know the exact terminology,the training of the muscle groups that are complete opposite of what you use while biking.

Another is /has something to do with when say...wanting to improve your push ups,you can do pull ups while laying down at a squat rack,on your back,then do pull ups,with the bar touch your chest,ala bench press, while keeping your feet on the ground.Did I confuse you like I did myself?

Chiropractors are cracks,I mean quacks.

:shock:

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Bob's advice is actually good for a good bit of back ache. Rolling back and forth will loosen the erector muscles and help to push vertebra all in the same direction towards alignment.

It's not that good for lateral misalignment, but it could help with frontal / dorsal misalignment.

But Mikey, I'm guessin' that your back is tight (if it's the lower, from about the kidneys down) due to tight psoas muscles. They originate from the mid lumbar (L3,4 and 5, if memory serves), and connect to the inner groin area on each side.

What happens when they're tight is that they pull your hips "up" so that you don't stand erect naturally. As a result, so that you can stand up, your lower back becomes more arched, which causes muscles to be tense and eventually causes them to spasm.

(It's a common condition and aggravated by any "spare weight" you might be carrying around your waist, which pulls your hips further forward.)

Does your back get "achy" when you lay flat on the floor? And does it help relieve it if you bring your knees upward and put your feet flat on the floor? If so, it's definitely an issue that includes the Psoas being too tight.

There are various deep tissue releases that someone trained in Neuro Muscular Therapy is familiar with. And there are techniques taught in good Sports Massage programs as well that address the condition.

One of the best things that you can do for it personally is like an, "American Splits", in which you do an exaggerated lunge motion slowly. You'll have one leg in front and one behind you. You want the one behind to be far behind, as in a front to back split.

The focus is to stretch the back leg, with an emphasis on the front pelvis. Go to as low a position as you can and when you get there, shift your weight forward slightly. You'll feel the pull in the area I described when you're doing it correctly.

Massage doesn't have to hurt, BTW... And massage by someone who's qualified will help. But still, seeing a chiropractor would be a good idea... or better yet, an Osteopath.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
bob vawter said:
....i get on my hands and knees and curl into a fetal position and rock till the spine has fully relaxed and separated......

Last time I was like that was because I had waay to much tequila gold....

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
A couple of guys I know are going down to Mexico to get stem cell therapy done. Can't say I agree with it, but when one of their friends came back and got a check-up, the doctor said that it must be some sort of miracle that happened, because his back was regenerating itself.

John Buxton

I screwed up my back on a trampoline in High School. When it hurts I take Naproxen which is the Rx version of Aleve. If you really are in pain you gotta go Rx. Its kinda like using a rug doctor when you need a pro, bro.

I also go to a Chiroprator which does wonders for me but doesnt always help everyone depending on whats wrong.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Sometimes the only thing you can do when your back goes into spasm is to take an opiate such as Vicodin or Percodan, that is if you want to continue working your schedule. Otherwise just lay down for a day and then start walking or better yet easy road bike riding. Focus on stretching those hamstrings; put your ankle up on the bathroom counter and stand there and feel it.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The "final straw" when I decided to quit doing carpet (in Spring of 1996) was when I had to go to a friend of mine (a surgeon from China) and have him do an acupuncture treatment on me... twice in a week.

Until I had the treatment, it literally felt like I had a large knife stuck in my lower back on one side. Once it was done, I felt great.

The second time, it was worse... I did 14 units that day. And once again, after acupuncture, I was good to go.

Luckily, I knew him personally and could just go to his place, lay on the floor in his living room and visit informally. But after the second time, I knew that something had to change before I wound up with something a lot worse.

Later, in massage school, I learned a lot about what was going on with me. (That's where I learned about the Psoas condition, among other things...) Staying off of the wand for several years, stretching over- tight muscles and working on the weak side of my back to strengthen it, seems to have completely solved the problem.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I agree about slowing down a little. You said something about doing eight jobs in one day a while back then you went biking, I was annoyed because I thought to myself -hey I think hes older than me how come I cant do all that ? I love to ride my dirt bike on week ends but I just cant do it that often anymore.
Also may not help your situation but triflex from gnc works well, glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm- rebuilds cartilage and lubricatres joints. I havent had to go to chiro since taking it but takes about a month to start working. I agree with others though , know when to just go to the chiro.
I also found out from when I was going regularly that I had one leg longer than the other which i guess most people do but now I where a lift and helped tremendously-took a year though.

Name
steve snail
New York Strip grilled to perfection (medium rare), baked potato w/butter and sour cream. Cheese cake w/topping of choice for desert.

Now tell me that doesn't sound good and it will cure all that ails ya!

or Red Pepper Hummus w/ some of "T's" special garden green sauce over pita.

either should do the trick.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mikey P said:
Too much pedaling up super steep hills over the long week end killed me.

ouch.

dummazz

can't help now.
but in the future, have a motor on that bike

"but this is great fun"
says the vEgan

then he says,
"Too much pedaling up super steep hills over the long week end killed me."

clearly not enough broccoli in your diet = dumazz

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back