Got beat up today...

Todays job, customer spilled almost half a bottle of "Bug be gone" on a frieze carpet and it reEeEeked. This was my first experience with trying to remove Bug spray smell. I Mixed up some Sodium Perc really hot and dumped in on there, Let dwell for bout 30 mins, then I mixed up some hydrocide and waterclawed it. Then sprayed on some more hydrocide at the end....But, The smell is still there!!

I told them that the carpet might haveta be pulled up to clean underneath,cut out the stiinky part, replace the padding, then put in a new piece of carpet, if nothing else works.

What would you have done differently?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
haha.. asked her for a big tupperware bowl.. flipped it upside down on the spot and kept cleaning. that way you dont have to smell it.. then i would have done the exact same thing.. so im also wondering what to do in that situation.. Scott warrington u got a suggestion?

Rag Spinner said:
Having an installation background, I would have definitely pulled the carpet up and removed the pad. I would have then been able to attack the sub-floor as well as extract the chemical from the backing as well as the fiber.

Replace pad, kick it back in, and get out!!!!

Greg
http://www.ball-gram.com
http://www.selectivefloors.com

Yeah...I told them that might haveta be the case. But, they thought it was too much trouble and didnt want to pay for it. They said theyll call me back if they decide to do it.

BTW, IT was ReEeally bad!! When I walked in...the smell just hit you in the face. Even gave me a slight headache. After I was done...It got alot better. But, you can still smell it when you kneel over the area.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm curious, why would you dump an oxidizer on it first?

why not an emulsifier first?
I'd of "guessed" it was some kind of plant extract or or petro based chem.
I'd of banged it with soap and clawed

did you flush/rinse out what was there first before dumping junk on it?
Did you read the label to see if there were any clean up procedures?
The MSDS says use "detergent and water" for spills

you FAILED your mission
GO in SHAME

:shock: :shock:

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
No one bats 1000 here, not even close. I think I would have tried a surfactant, water claw and then as much D-limo as I could use without getting into the backing. Look at it this way now you know what doesn’t work.

meAt said:
I'm curious, why would you dump an oxidizer on it first?

why not an emulsifier first?
I'd of "guessed" it was some kind of plant extract or or petro based chem.
I'd of banged it with soap and clawed

did you flush/rinse out what was there first before dumping junk on it?
Did you read the label to see if there were any clean up procedures?
The MSDS says use "detergent and water" for spills

you FAILED your mission
GO in SHAME

:shock: :shock:

..L.T.A.

I did ask to see the bottle. But, he said he threw it out. No, I didnt "pre-flushed" it. Id figure I was doing that after I dump on the stuff?? lol WOuld it really made that much of a difference If I flushed it out first?? Cause I thought I was flushing and clawing it like crazy after wouldve done the same thing.

I did clean with detergent after clawing though. Then I sprayed a heavy layer of Hydrocide on after I was done with cleaning.

Ps- Btw, Mike, I also tried De-limo and it didnt really do much either.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The Asian Sensation!! said:
I did ask to see the bottle. But, he said he threw it out. No, I didnt "pre-flushed" iWOuld it really made that much of a difference If I flushed it out first??

the less that chems have to emulsify, the better.
what it wet or dried when you got there?

I did clean with detergent after clawing though. Then I sprayed a heavy layer of Hydrocide on after I was done with cleaning.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hydrocide one of those chems that works by latching onto the "stink molecule" and dragging it down out of the "sniff zone" ?

here's what I'd of done, Thang, (and it may or may not of worked 100%...cause an expert, I ain't)

flush/rinse first (if it was was still damp from the spill)
saturate with a strong butly based pre-spray (d'limo would be a good choice too for that one)
through flush/rinse extract.
Hammer it again if needed, but I break out the claw this time.
I'd toss the claw down, take the solution hose and plug in a naked QD and let pour all around the claw hoping to rinse some gunk out from below the backing

then I'd use the waste water to kill the cinch bugz on my tomayters and tatters.
I might save a little for Joni's rose bush too

..L.T.A.

harryhides

Name
Tony
When in doubt ( like when the product and or MSDS is unavailable ), Rule # 1 - DO NO HARM.

I prefer to use a safe, stop-gap. I'm a big fan of powdered odor absorbers and if you don't have some in your van, go get a big box of baking powder and dump it on the spot. Then I'd go do some research, call the manufacturer etc.

Oh well...It was a good experience. Im tempeted to go out and buy the Bug Be gone and dump it on a spare piece of carpet and do some experimenting.

Ps- The carpet was dry when I got there. It was just the smell was still there and they wanted it gone.

Spartacus said:
Figured some GIRL took you out! :p

:lol:

I wouldnt mind if Kyra Gracie took me out!! Id gladly let her choke me out with her legs anyday!!

kyragracie1ia1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom