Got some good pictures of the sapphire sientific 370

Name
Kevin McCreary
I checked out the SS 370 at Jon Don yesterday. The heat exchanger on it was different than anything I have seen before.
They called it the thermal well or something like that. Thom told me that instead of using a typical water box, that they use a 17 or 18 gallon stainless waterbox with the blower and engine exhaust from the 20 hp kholer into a fin and tube type exchanger that is in the 17 gallon water box. It pegged the gauge on the machine at 260+ from a cold start in three minutes flat. I didnt stick around too long to see how well it maintained that, but it seems to me that if it makes 17 gallons that hot it should stay that hot for awhile.

CIMG3912.jpg

CIMG3913.jpg

CIMG3914.jpg

CIMG3915.jpg

CleanEvo

Nice looking machine. What were they asking for it?

I think I'd wait a year or two until they've sold a few units.

Mikey P

Administrator
I wonder if when the next company takes over that product line if Bruders will be ok with them trashing all the spare parts for that machine :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hint hint..

stock up on Blueline and V parts while you can suckers.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm over 7000 hrs on my blueline and I haven't needed a part from the munufacturer yet. Knock on wood.

Gene

Greenie

I think the machines are fairly simple, albeit a bit crammed, but... that is to be expected in the narrow footprint, but what I wanted to address is Kevin's comments on the HX system:

" Thom told me that instead of using a typical water box, that they use a 17 or 18 gallon stainless waterbox with the blower and engine exhaust from the 20 hp kholer into a fin and tube type exchanger that is in the 17 gallon water box."

I'm sure Thom was just trying to explain the system quickly, but I would ahve to point out, there is no way it has a waterbox of any kind that holds anywhere near 17 gal (nor would you want one), in order for a fin and tube HX to work (capturing hot exhaust blowing across it) it has to be a Dry HX, with solution running Through the coils of said fin and tube HX. So it might have an AREA of 17 gal of Dry space, but not hold a liquid in that same area...just some clarity on the subject, further supported by the comments below.

" It pegged the gauge on the machine at 260+ from a cold start in three minutes flat. I didnt stick around too long to see how well it maintained that..."

It takes quite a bit of energy to boil a gal of cold water in 3 mins. flat, let alone 2 gal, or 3 gal...
This also points to a limited amount of solution volume within the HX system, probably no more or less than any other of similar 20hp sized units.

Name
Kevin McCreary
All I know is when he engaged the diverter you could hold your hand over the exhaust of the machine.
When it was disengaged the exhaust would burn your hand.

G

I guess I could donate my services and take it and run it in my van for a while. And let you guys know how it does 'real world'.

Just throwing that out there. :|

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Hey Josh I have a Legend On the floor that you can test out. Oh by the way can I also borrow $14000?

Mikey P

Administrator
I've often wondered how companies pick the number designation for product names.

Some sound so cool.

Porch 911
Datsun 280Z
Leica M6

but 327?

I would have called it the Legends Syndicate

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Hi all
Here are some specs on the Sapphire 370 based on comments in the thread.

The water box for the Thermal well holds over 5 gallons. The coils for the heat exchanger hold about 1 quart. This new heat exchanger design is under patent application right now but one of the keys is that we have come up with a way to capture heat that other manufacturers have missed. The key is to surround the heat exchanger with the water box so all that heat that would normally simply fill your van interior is being transferred to the water box resulting in a significant increase in performance and efficiency.

As for the names.... We are using CFM information in the naming process. With all the models of various equipment in our industry being used today as well as over the last 30 years coming up with new meaningful names is a lot of non value producing costs so the simpler the better was our call.

Greenie

Bill Bruders said:
Hi all
Here are some specs on the Sapphire 370 based on comments in the thread.

" The key is to surround the heat exchanger with the water box so all that heat that would normally simply fill your van interior is being transferred to the water box resulting in a significant increase in performance and efficiency."

Did Duane Oxley see this, cause he might have already done that?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I saw it.

Their systems don't actually route the exhaust through the interior of the waterbox. Instead, they shape the box to enclose around the exhaust, without coming into contact with it. In other words, they're using ambient heat, by positioning the water box "near" the exhaust, not running the exhaust through it.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Bill Bruders said:
This new heat exchanger design is under patent application right now but one of the keys is that we have come up with a way to capture heat that other manufacturers have missed. The key is to surround the heat exchanger with the water box so all that heat that would normally simply fill your van interior is being transferred to the water box resulting in a significant increase in performance and efficiency.

The Steamvac that I have recently retired ( about 12-15 years old from memory) ran its exhaust through the water tank so it ain't a new concept. It also had an electric element in the water tank that boosted the heat even further and also allowed you to preheat without running the engine.
Steamvac on their website claim that they hold a world patent so this could get interesting.

roro

Name
Kevin McCreary
I'm thinking of making a really hot heat exchanger out of the Stanley cup sometime next month when I can see it.
How many gallons do you think it can hold?

Patents
You might get a Design Patent on something like this.
Design Patents are almost worthless.

A Method Patent has value.
Prior Art will show this has been done before.

We did this years ago on machines we built for Sears.

Good Luck, Judson

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Why would any body buy one of those? its a 20 year old other company design. for that money they could have come up with something new

A

amazingcleansc

Joey, you are limited to resurrecting ONE, count em O-N-E old post per week from here on out.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Why start a new one, good info still on the board. and if people were nto reading and still posting,then you can say that.. ill limit it to 1 every 2 weeks kk:)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea no chit....

i am so confused when i read these oldies it drives me nuts.....

i dont even realize tell i am half way through and see a GREENIE post....then i am like wtf?? :shock:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
floorguy said:
yea no chit....

i am so confused when i read these oldies it drives me nuts.....

i dont even realize tell i am half way through and see a GREENIE post....then i am like wtf?? :shock:

eeegggzzzactly!!! same here..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom