Graft job today

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Seam pulls - ended up being bigger than what I thought due to customer sewing long pulls together and covering the issue quite well. Once I got into it I was dealing with pulls up to 8" long.
Here's the first one on one seam:
pullincarpet.jpg

carpetremoved2.jpg

jobdone.jpg

That one actually came our really well. However I was not so happy with the next seam which was in a high traffic area. The grafts really stood up and to make things worse the layer hadn't matched up the seam to start with very well (can't really tell from the photos) and I couldn't get it looking bang on.
seampulls.jpg

seam2.jpg

The last pic makes it look a lot worse than it is, and the custy understands that it may take some time to flatten and blend in. She's over the moon but I'm still not 100% pleased with it.
Very nice condition carpet for 10 years old.
I think I'd like to redo the one nearest the camera in the last shot,I'm going back to do the lounge suite next week so will have a look at it then.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks mate - even better is the fact I was able to post the pictures without mucking it up :)

It's not the first graft I've done for a customer but thought I'd post it to see if I could have done better on this one. Because it was straddling both sides of the seam in that second lot of pics, I'm wondering if I could have cut the secondary backing away as well to get lower, and rely on the tape underneath for strength??

Cousin

Heath, try a bit of steam on those grafts. If you don't have a steaming machine, an iron over a damp towel will do.

It will flatten the pile a bit more.

You just want some moist heat in there, and not too much.

Find out which way the rest of the pile has lain over, and when you get the grafts 'steamed', just push them over in the same direction.

It will take a bit of practice, but will help you get the results your looking for.

And make sure the client knows to stay off the steamed bits for 48 hours, while moisture regain equalises back again. The pile will be quite supple during this time, and you want it to set in the direction (flat!) you left it in.

And you're one up on me Heath. I haven't done a seam graft. Good job.

M

Stevea

Heath,

Great job, you are doing great. Glad to see you posting photos also.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Heathrow,
You could have used a steamer as M said. That was 1 option. Or you can also mat down your new patch with a rubber mallet. Or even a hammer tapping it lightly. :D

M

Mark Imbesi

Harry Myers said:
Heathrow,
You could have used a steamer as M said. That was 1 option. Or you can also mat down your new patch with a rubber mallet. Or even a hammer tapping it lightly. :D

ROFLMAO, Harry! I guess that's the difference between the US and the Kiwis. We intimidate (hammer), they finesse (steam).

AWESOME WORK, Heathrow!

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did actually have a go at the grafts with a hammer. I find the steam suggestion interesting and I'm wondering if I should try that. I'll see how it looks next week.
Cheers

Cousin

Marc Imbesi said:
ROFLMAO, Harry! I guess that's the difference between the US and the Kiwis. We intimidate (hammer), they finesse (steam).

Hey Marc, 'Aussies'. Some of us are Aussies, not head tattooed Kiwis :twisted: :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom