Great marketing

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
The email put out by Mikeysboard is an excellent letter. The subject line , headline and content points make it a great example/outline
of how to compose an email for marketing .
Nice!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Unless you're Archie McPhee and your customers expect it from you, using Gotchas is not recommended for e-mail marketing. The gotcha didn't "get me" because it came in addressed from Mikey's Board. It was expected.

I'd recommend sending the next one no wider than 600 pixels so it fits a preview screen.

Otherwise it was phenominal.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Well if you wrote it Mike, good job!

The Jon Don logo in the beginning of your copy threw me off a bit. I almost closed it due to the many emails we get from them.
It detracts from the focus of YOUR message.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
"using Gotchas is not recommended for e-mail marketing"

That's the 1st time I've read that Bryan.

People open emails, packages and letters because they know who it's from or they are curious. The object is to get your target to open it.

Why call it a "Gotcha"? Call it an attention grabber.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks for the tips.

the email program that comes with Word Press is pretty limited to what we can do visually.

We may have to upgrade.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Joe,

"Great news" and "Two day sale! would be attention grabbers if the body of the message had great news or information about a two day sale. A gotcha is a misleading statement meant to get you to open the e-mail and has little to do with the message. In this case the e-mail even says "Gotcha!" It isn't offensive though, because we all know the style here and weren't likely to be fooled.

When used by, say, Pier One Imports, I have little patience for this ploy. Con me once and your e-mail address will be blocked forever. When you're doing e-mail marketing you have to be very careful to avoid complaints, and it's easy to get complaints.

http://mailchimp.com/resources/ Mail Chimp (seems appropriate, no?) resources, or do a search for e-mail campaign best practices.

PS: Listrack once published a do/don't list that was pretty concise, if you can find it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom