Green Law Leads Consumers to Smuggle Across State Lines

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Spokane, Wash. - Consumers are angry over a new law that bans "phosphates" from dishwasher detergents.
Consumers state that they have tried every "Green" brand on the market with poor results.
So, they are smuggling phosphate-containing detergents from Idaho to get the results they want.
The dishwasher detergent industry is FAR bigger than the carpet cleaning industry.

Here is the article from another paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090328/NEWS08/903280330/1006/NEWS

The Soap & Detergent Association fought this ban for the past year.

Green Seal GS-37 has also effectively banned phosphate, as a builder in carpet cleaning detergents.

Get involved ...
and fight these attempts to limit your choices.

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The sewage treatment plant needs phosphates in the waste stream. If they aren't coming in for free with your detergent, they have to add them. The real phosphate problem comes from fetilizer run-off into surface water. A distinction that is too, too difficult for many an activist to unjderstand.

Name
I'm Rick James
Phosphates are also added to a variety of processed foods, including some baking mixes, colas, meat and poultry products, cheeses, canned tuna, puddings, toothpastes, and other products.

I can see the crime rising in Spokane. Soon people on the street corners will be selling a half pound of pure uncut dishwasher detergent for $100. I bet they are going to increase patrols on the idaho washington border to stop these smugglers.

This is going to far. I agree people should atleast have the ability to buy these products.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Larry Cobb said:
Green Seal GS-37 has also banned phosphate, as a builder in carpet cleaning detergents.

Not true. A misconception that is being circulated.

GS-37 says nothing about this class of molecules (Phosphates). Instead, it is very specific in targeting phosphorus, one of elements of a phosphate. Moreover, the limitation is not to outlaw phosphorus, but to limit it's quantity in use concentration. In fact, the permissible verbiage used actually creates a loophole you could drive a Mack truck through.

Read this very carefully, the salient excerpt from GS-37:

"4.14 Eutrophication. The product as used shall not contain more than 0.5% by weight of total phosphorus.

I've underlined the "loophole" words, for emphasis.

One enterprising company exploits this loophole to the fullest extent I can think of. The makers of Procyon actually have GS-37 GreenSeal approval on their product, called Procyon. One might ask how can this be? Especially since their flagship product is 100% phosphate (Sodium Tripolyphosphate).

The reason people think phosphates are disallowed by GS-37, is that have not read the actual wording and/or understand it. In order to calculate the level of phosphorous, by weight, you have to know the percentage by weight of the actual element of phosphorus, not in the phosphate, but when the product is diluted to use concentration. If you look at the current use instructions of Procyon, and then calculate the amount of elemental phosphorus in that concentration, you will see that the product meets GS-37 certification.

Also notice that the current instructions for Procyon are questionable. There is no reasonable cleaner going to mix it that dilute, and get the cleaning they find acceptable without either spiking it or going much more concentrated. It matters little. The product when used as directed, produces a phosphorus level of less than "0.5% by weight of total phosphorus". The product having a use instruction that yields an acceptable amount of phosphorus is all that matters to the real intent of Greenseal. (I hope you can read between the lines).

steve g

Name
steve garrett
get ready for more of the same type of bullshit what do you expect when democrats are elected?? why can't people just have the products shipped to their house?? democrats shouldn't be within 10 ft of any power in the government

Rex Tyus

The Great Oz said:
The sewage treatment plant needs phosphates in the waste stream. If they aren't coming in for free with your detergent, they have to add them. The real phosphate problem comes from fetilizer run-off into surface water. A distinction that is too, too difficult for many an activist to unjderstand.

THANK YOU for that post. I have been saying simular for a while. But I am just an ignorant redneck.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Shawn;

Many Presprays that are properly labeled....

WILL have "in use" concentrations well above 0.5% phosphorus.

All of our powder products certainly do.

I still maintain that GS-37 has effectively banned effective concentrations of phosphates in carpet presprays.

Larry

Greenie

I think Shawn is just saying follow the bouncing ball, change your MINIMUM dilution ratio on packaging, and you are COMPLIANT...all just a game.

"I will say the $400 a kilo on phosphates has been good for business"- 8 ball Mfg.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Greenie read between the lines. :wink:

You can sell something that is 100% phosphate, and still be green(seal). All it takes is guile and payment of dues.
GreenSeal didn't "effectively" ban phosphates a bit.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Shawn Forsythe said:
Greenie read between the lines. :wink:

You can sell something that is 100% phosphate, and still be green(seal). All it takes is guile and payment of dues.
GreenSeal didn't "effectively" ban phosphates a bit.

yeah but with libs and tree huggers its really all about feeling good and thinking your doing something

Back
Top Bottom