Greenhorn, high (er) flow, high (er) heat --- and GUM

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
How many people notice that you don't have to spot gum anymore on GDC?

I run 12 flow, 200-220 ATW, and I suck the gum right off the carpet. I think it's the magic angle of the jets. One slow pass softens it up, a quick chop stroke and the gum is gone. Another slow flushing pass for residue, and a bunch of quick dry strokes and it's taken care of. No more carrying around citrus gel and a bone scraper, and no more kneeling down in greasy slick pre-spray.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
With my old two jetter wand and my non-heat producing machine I could never get gum up with just the wand. It took gel and some hands and knees scraping. But like you said with the greenhorn most times on cgd or resi I can get the gum without any spotter or hands and knees scraping. Just one of it's many benefits.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Hybrid. The gum melts, when you run the wand over it back and forth it sucks it up through the little holes.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Hybrid and it just sucks it off. It seems to soften it enough to pull it off. And I definately DO NOT have a fire breather.

Coincidentally just Friday I did a residential job that had literally a hundred or more pieces of gum in just a living room-dining room combo, more than I've ever seen except for bar/lounge I clean. I pre-sprayed, scrubbed and cleaned with the greenhorn and got every piece of gum up with no problem, no hand work.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'm sorry but I can't even begin to believe that. I'm running at 230 and high flow and i've never come close to getting gum up without some gel or citrus solvent. Are we talking about bubble gum that's been smashed into the carpet for months?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Some pieces that have been there for months and months won't come up.... Sometimes it requires a lot more work... And you start to wonder why you didn't run out and get the citrus gel and the scraper, but definitely on the newer pieces (A 2-6 weeks old) it works just fine.

It's not like magic, you have to run over the piece really slow, then chop stroke it, sometimes dry stoke it a little, lift the edge of your wand to suck up some scraps, use the edge of your glide to scrape a little bit... It just depends, but you can do it, and if it's an account you do regularly all you will have to worry about is new pieces of gum which come off right away...

Marty, I don't see any reason why you won't be able to start sucking gum off with that vortex and a greenhorn.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Well for me I've never bothered to ask what kind of gum it is but yes it is smashed in. Is it not always smashed in where you come from?

For me it DOES NOT always happen without the aid of a gel just most or maybe half of the time (it never happened with my old wand)hence why I chose to scrub the carpet friday with the 175 to help loosen it up.

Maybe Greenie sold me and Gary the upgraded gum removing version.

Farenheit251

All the restaurants I do on a schedule I don't need a spotter for gum. New accts I have to use a solvent the first time. From what I see most companies,especially those with employees are not removing gum.

G

I can get gum off with a 2 jet Samco when I'm using propane and setting heat to 245 when my wand had no glide on it; have tried it lately; but I have a hole glide now.

I set the jet over the gum for 2 to 3 secs then pull trigger and when i see the gum distorting i just swipe it up; then for residue I make to to 3 more wet swipes and all gone; same for wax from candles. Did a Walmart entrance 3 months ago; looked like tar build up when I started; and when done it had been cleaned well enough to look normal; i was probably pushing about 250 or so. When I run like this it just seems so darn awesome; i have started using rain x anti fog stuff on my glasses!! :lol: :roll:

TimP

Judson O2 PS and high heat can get smaller pieces of gum up and candy with just the wand even with a hole glide that I use.

BUT if it's a big piece it will just smear it. You'll have to break out some gum Gel or some O2 straight....a bit of dwell and a bit of scrubbing with a gum getter and it's gone.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The Angle-Jet wands are more effective at removing gum.

The big difference comes from the higher heat, due to higher flow rate (GPM).

The older gum deposits oxidize, and become more difficult.

We like liquid POG for prespotting. It's faster.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom