GreenSeal loses another

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This just in from CRI:

CRI Withdraws Support for Green Seal Environmental Standard
Dalton, GA. January 8, 2009 - Citing shortcomings in the process used to develop the well-known environmental standard, the Carpet and Rug Institute has announced it will no longer recognize GreenSeal's GS-37 Standard as a Green Certification for its Seal of Approval Carpet Cleaning Solutions. According to CRI, Green Seal failed to follow its own written guidelines for consensus standard-setting, specifically in the areas of stakeholder input and risk assessment. "GS 37 is flawed and CRI cannot support it," said CRI president Werner Braun.
Prior to its decision, CRI had accepted GS 37 as a component for its Seal of Approval Green designation, which identifies spot cleaners, pre-sprays, and in-tank cleaning solutions that are environmentally responsible as well as effective. CRI continues to recognize the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Design for the Environment (DfE) certification, as well as the Canadian government's EcoLogo and EnviroDesic certifications. Products that were certified under a previous version of GS 37 will retain their SOA Green designations, Braun said.
CRI's concerns:
• GS 37 measures product efficacy against a "nationally recognized" product rather than against an approved standard.
• GreenSeal did not allow the participation of all stakeholders in the development process for GS 37
• GS 37 arbitrarily bans chemicals according to a list, without regard for proper risk assessment - a practice which runs contrary to accepted scientific practices.
• At various points, it seemed that peer- reviewed scientific data was discounted in favor of preconceived bias on the part of the standard developers.
• GS 37 was released without a second ratifying ballot, even after a first ballot failed to achieve a majority.
Noting that Green Seal is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) as a standard-setting body, Braun said he would expect the company to follow the ANSI process of standard development. He added that CRI would reconsider its decision if Green Seal were to "reopen the GS 37 standard and develop it in an environment that respects the consensus standard-setting process."
About the Carpet and Rug Institute
The Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) is the source for science-based information and insight into how carpet and rugs can create a better environment for living, working, learning and healing.
For more information, contact CRI at: http://www.carpet-rug.org
The Carpet and Rug Institute
Bethany Richmond
Communications Manager
email: brichmond@carpet-rug.org
phone: 706.428.2125

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And the CRI is a credible organization? What a bunch of poop for brains idiots. Del it's hard to see with your head so far up your a$$. Consider the source- Weiner"I Don't Gotta Answer nuttin"" Brain. :roll:

DRScrivner

Willy P said:
And the CRI is a credible organization? What a bunch of poop for brains idiots. Del it's hard to see with your head so far up your a$$. :roll:
That was for the CRI right?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Well I know everyone is anti CRI but I am thrilled to see this as the first chink in the armor. Green Seal is a much larger problem.

The difference is that even though CRI has made all of these guidelines noone is paying any attention.

Green Seal on the other hand has got the attention of many states governments. In certain states you cannot clean schools or government buildings without Green Seal approved products. The fees for these products and for approval for actual cleaners is ludicrous.

I am hoping this is the symbolic first rope over Sadams statue and Green Seal will tumble.

As a matter of fact I bet Larry Cobb is already buying the rope.

Bill Yeadon
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

Willy P

Name
Willy P
billyeadon said:
Well I know everyone is anti CRI but I am thrilled to see this as the first chink in the armor. Green Seal is a much larger problem.

The difference is that even though CRI has made all of these guidelines noone is paying any attention.

Green Seal on the other hand has got the attention of many states governments. In certain states you cannot clean schools or government buildings without Green Seal approved products. The fees for these products and for approval for actual cleaners is ludicrous.

I am hoping this is the symbolic first rope over Sadams statue and Green Seal will tumble.

As a matter of fact I bet Larry Cobb is already buying the rope.

Bill Yeadon
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
I'm not anti CRI, but I am anti blind stupidity, poorly thought out mistakes and the inability to admit you blew it and try again. By dodging questions and creating a situation that smells of subterfuge, the CRI is still not making any attempt to consult and work with the industry, instead just more of the same nonsense. I just can't buy into any of it.Oh, and my primary cleaning agents are Green Seal and Environment Choice Program compliant.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Well Said, Bill

I hope that Green Seal is losing their perceived credibility.

ISSA has reprimanded them on several points also.

While the CRI SOA is not perfect, it is the most credible standard to challenge Green Seal for carpet cleaning standards.

Thanks for posting, Bryan

Larry

DRScrivner

Larry Cobb said:
While the CRI SOA is not perfect, it is the most credible standard to challenge Green Seal for carpet cleaning standards.
That is like saying Lenny and Squiggy were the meanest gang members in town, when Laverne and Shirley could kick their asses. God help us all.

Maybe President Obama can correct this SOA mess now too.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've been a pretty harsh critic of the CRI for losing control of what started out as a good idea with equipment testing, but the CRI has done a good job of getting rid of some horrible cleaning agents, those usually sold to institutional cleaners.

Backing away from Greenseal is almost better than never having signed on in the first place, particularly since they've named the much better EPA program as a preferrable alternative.

Back
Top Bottom