Groovin with the Eckman.

Mikey P

Administrator
-What led you to get into this business?

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

-Where was your business five years ago and where will it be five years from now?

-Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it?

-How have the Boards helped your biz?

-Pick five MBers to live the rest of your life in Vegas with.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Before I forget, thanks for the recommendation for Reno auto wreckers Jim. Checking out the only used motor I can find in town tomorrow.

Jimbo

-What led you to get into this business?

Good money and a lot of free time to goof off with the hobbies.

-Describe your best cheerleader and what it took to make him or her so.

I had a custy in 84 in Graeagle...I was prevaccing the shag carpet with some kind of beast vacuum made by Advance...it weighed about a 100 pounds. I heard something rattling really noisily in the vac...tipped it back...and a beautiful diamond and pearl ring fell out...so of course I set it on the kitchen bar with a note telling the lady approximately where I found it...finished the job...left the invoice near the ring. When the gal got home from golf that afternoon...she called and was going on and on about finding the ring...how she was so happy....yada yada yada. I guess her and three of her galfriends spent 3 hours looking for that ring in the carpet when it fell off her hand the night before...after several bottles of wine they gave up. I guess her hubby had spent about 20k on the ring 15 years prior...and she thought it was gone...until she found my note...Holy cow...she swamped me with work...1 happy lady telling all her friends about the carpet cleaner you could trust in your house!...after about 15 years worth of referrals I had to break the news to her that I no longer serviced that area.

-Where was your business five years ago and where will it be five years from now?

Almost in the same place...me cleaning. 1 van. I might get a helper someday...I notice the tools seem heavier every year! Retiring at 62 in 7 1/2 years...maybe just focus on upholstery...and get a gumba or two to pick up and deliver rugs for cleaning.

-Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

Gary Heacock...always knows his stuff...enjoyed every day cleaning...yet knows how to chill out.

-Start over from scratch, how would you go about it?

Not much different...I'd for sure pay cash for my equipment...nothing worse than trying to decide to feed the kids or make a van payment. I've been doing cash for equipment since 87. Having some reasonable mentors is a must...not the doom and gloom kinda folks...but folks who have been around the block in business...and are still in the business.

-How have the Boards helped your biz?

Good place to find answers to questions one might have...about equipment...cleaning agents...marketing...BUT you gotta be able to filter out the BS. Just because it is said on a board does not make stuff true...you start to learn the folks whose posts you should stroll on by. I've made a lot of nice friends through the boards.

-Pick five MBers to live the rest of your life in Vegas with.

Although I would like to get a winter place in Laughlin or Bullhead City...Las Vegas?
OK

Chuck R...Terry B...Curt/Dirk...Neva...Mike P

Albert, the answer to your question is BALLROOM Dancing...and Listening

John Watson

envious of his toys, don't think I could pick better myself... Love that yellow elcamaro

Jimbo

Stop on by next time Thru, Watson...and we'll go twist the tires off that ElCo!...maybe it will have a 427 in it then!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Yep - one of the best. Years ago, my business was way down, Jim took the time to phone me, gave me some great tips, encouragement, and a gentle nudge- and for that I don't think I ever took the time to offer my heartfelt thanks. Thanks Jim - you are a good guy.

Mikey P

Administrator
Chuck R...Terry B...Curt/Dirk...Neva...Mike P

The world as we know it ends that weekend due to an alien invasion followed by a freak radiation ice storm and the six of us get trapped in the kitchen at the Wynn for 2 years. We run out of chow so it's time to eat one of the group.

Who would you pick to scarf down first?

Mikey P

Administrator
Funny, I was thinking you would be the first meal.

K and J are to pickled to possibly taste good, Neva is all skin and bones, you could all live for a month off T's tube steak so save him for later so the carnivores might as well enjoy your fine marbling.

I'll just eat your finger nails and pretend your hair is alfalfa.

The Preacher

Walrus said:
Jimbo is on my list to meet someday.

i've had the pleasure of meeting Jim E.

he's the kind of guy i'd like to hang with almost every day. you can tell he takes care of business, but knows how to balance it with good hobbies and refreshing drink!!!

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
I have similar sentiments to Danny.

I have met and hung with Jimbo in Vegas! Top Bloke and one of the guys whose posts I make sure I always read.

Has a great work/life balance that most would like to aspire too.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I have the pleasure of speaking with him frequently as he is one of my favorite customers. I also wouldn't be here today if it weren't for him. Thanks for selling the shop to my parents Jim. :D

Scott

It's almost like reading this thread is like a eulogy, but the praise is most certainly justly deserved. Jimbo is definitely one of the nicest and most caring people I've met period, let alone in this industry.

Rock on, Jim

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I'd love to have Mr. Eckman in for a night of BSing, drinking and have some 3:45am waffles sometime... Whenever you're ready bud.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom