Grout sealing question

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
How long after new grout is installed before it can be sealed? I'm going to be using Cobb's sealer.

Marc Imbesi

10-14 days

* ...and I say this from the grout's point of view...most reputable sealers put the burden on the grout manufacturer, saying "sealer may be applied only after grout is completely cured"...thus 10-14 days

** ...not saying Cobb's sealer isn't reputable, but I tend to lean on installation products over cleaning type products, and that comes from my experience and comfort level...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Marc;

For clarification, a solvent-based grout sealer will be able to seal the grout quicker than a water-based product.

Solvent-based sealers allow more evaporation of the water left behind after the grout is applied.

It would depend on the actual moisture in the air . . .

but in an air-conditioned space,

the grout should be ready for a solvent-based sealer like our Dynachem Impregnator in a few days.

Larry

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
How about after cleaning? I was told by the T@G instructor that you really need to wait 24 hours. Doesn't seem practial to come back the next day to apply sealer.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Art Kelley said:
How about after cleaning? I was told by the T@G instructor that you really need to wait 24 hours. Doesn't seem practial to come back the next day to apply sealer.

When using a water based sealer, moisture in the grout tends to dilute the sealer and not allow as much solids content to stay in the grout. So I would not apply to wet grout. But if most of the moisture was extracted and you had air movers on the job, you can apply water based sealer after a couple of hours. Slight variation with local ambient temperature and humidity, how porous the grout is and such.

Solvents tend to be repelled by water and "float" on top of any moisture in the grout. I suggest grout be bone dry before applying sealer with a solvent carrier.

Cleaning with good extraction allows application of any type of sealer much sooner than cleaning with more primitive methods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom