Grout

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Grout - regrout tile floor - $2.47 sq on xactimate seems rather low?

Is this the proper line item for removing existing grout and regrouting a tile floor?

I was thinking at least double that.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Many times on a Cat 3 re-grouting is included. I've encountered that several times.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
This was a cat 2, out of pocket, tile/grout is registering over mc's, we usually remove them, but on this specific claim (there was a claim till they were denied due to rain water). We figured let's regrout and see how that goes vs replacing (due to the costs).

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We're trying to dry one now with heat, if we don't get enough movement we may have to remove the grout if the insurance company still wants to save it. ???

Reactions: tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Yea, the adjuster eventually said go ahead and replace but than she called the insured back and said it was not covered.

By the way the cost to remove it is almost the same cost to regrout it if you go by Xactimate. I don't know what is more than a pita though. Both are pretty messy.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I have never regrouted even when it was covered for that. I have figured out a way to go ahead and remove and replace with new.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
We are removing the grout, and replacing it with new grout.

To remove and replace the entire floor would've been 5 times the cost, but there's no coverage.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I gotcha. I'm not saying that I wouldn't ever do it. Ive just been fortunate that we've either got coverage or upgraded the customer.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I'm interested I how it goes and what method to use. How are you getting it out?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I gotcha. I'm not saying that I wouldn't ever do it. Ive just been fortunate that we've either got coverage or upgraded the customer.

I hear ya, that's usually been the case for me as well, but Travelers declined the claim the very last min after I got them to finally say remove the floor...and the cost was up there for a large floor.

Reciprocating saw w/ grout grabber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WG7PVlIANQ

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
How much do you get paid for that?

A whole kitchen and dining area would take a few days even with two guys to remove all of the grout, wouldn't it?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
We also have the grout carbide wheels for the dremel but the dremel is too loud of a tool for me (especially when working @ night), and it also creates a lot more dust. I find that buying several sets of the grout grabber goes a long way. Just have several of them w/ you, in case one breaks, and or wears out.

You can do a 200 sqft room in under a hour w/ it, but if you need to remove/reset furniture than it'll take a little longer.

I recommend having a quart bottle filled w/ water, and fine misting the areas you're about to remove the grout from, this keeps the grout dust from getting too airborne (similar to the video above), if you don't fine mist it, it'll create some dust, but nothing close to the dremel.

Xactimate pays $2.50/sqft, than I add min 2 hours content r/r @ $55/hour, w/ optional tile cleaning/sealing few days later. It depends on job/distance.

Most tile guys charge $4-7/sqft when doing regrouting.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Home Depot does not carry the Grout Grabber in stores, it's only mail order.

The milwaukee brand has it's grout grabber for the sawzall, however it will not work on non sanded grout. This floor we're working on needed something better, so we used an angle grinder.

If you don't own a sawzall, HD rental stores rents them for $24/day, the Grabber blade is $10 bucks a piece.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom