Guarantees being taken advantage of ?

exploited

With all my carpet cleaning i always tell the customer if they are not happy with anything once the carpet dries ill come back at no charge to fix any areas of concern. Yesterday a customer calls back 3 weeks later saying her husband walked dirt on one of the rugs i cleaned and asks if i could come out and redo it. I was about to say no however she is a really nice lady and she said she had recommended me to several of her friends. Anyways i agreed to come back for free , would you guys done the same thing or is this going to far? Is it worth it to gain a cheerleader or a waste of time.

I think it is....you will clean her carpets again...when your there see if you can upsell some upholstery cleaning or maybe recommend scotch guard since they got dirty so quick...try to make some money...you keep her happy and she will definetly keep using you and referring you...thats my opinion though...

Rex Tyus

I would go out but I would have said
"our minimum service call is.... do you have anything else you would like cleaned while we are there?"

People that want shit done for free ALWAYS say they refered you to their friends. ALWAYS!

Brian H

Name
Brian H
The real problem is, you don't really know if they are being honest about the referals or if they are trying to pull a fast one on you.

Go out and touch it up while you are in the area and you may have a cheerleader for life. Tell her no way and charge her your usual minimum and next time she needs the whole house cleaned she will be shopping around for a new cleaner.

At least your customer was up front about what happened. I would have no problem at all with swinging by and touching it up or at the most charging a small amount just to touch it up.

exploited

thanks for the good advice , ill go for the upsell on the scotchguard and push for some referral phone numbers. the jobs only 15 mins away if it was more than 30 mins i dont think i would do it unless they were a long serving client. Come to think of it we always compliment others to get our own way i guess thats what happened here :oops:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It doesn't sound like it was a problem with your service.

did she expect you to do it FREE?
what leads you to believe that?

as far as what "we" would do.
It depends on the custy.

There's been many times we've taken care of a dog accident or a plate of EYE-talion pesscceddy dumped off the table for no charge.

still curious though, what leads you believe she expects it for free?

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

I would do it and don't charge her anything. Then re-enforce the "please don't hesitate to call us if you see anything else maam, we want to make sure you are completely happy with our service" theme.....If she is an honest person then she knows you are going out of your way to serve her needs and you are guaranteed to get a glistening referral from her anytime carpet cleaning should ever come up in a conversation with someone else. Most of us can tell when people are trying to take advantage of us, if you get this feeling then forget it, but otherwise, I would go for it. just my 2cents.

Bob Foster

If you know for sure she has sent you a referal and you completed the job. Yes - it's a form of thank you.

If no referrals have come minimum charge.

And another thing, they wouldn't ask the same favor out of their plumber or electrician so why should we do something for nothing?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob Foster said:
And another thing, they wouldn't ask the same favor out of their plumber or electrician so why should we do something for nothing?

my thoughts...cause we're not the same type of service.

plumbers and Sparkys are called based on "need"
Carpet cleaning is, for the most part a discretionary expenditure

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Bob Foster said:
If you know for sure she has sent you a referal and you completed the job. Yes - it's a form of thank you.

If no referrals have come minimum charge.

You do something for nothing because people don't expect it, and that's how you earn a good reputation and more customers. How much money do you spend to earn 1 customer?

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It would depend on what I charged her in the first place. With high end customers there is a PITA factor to consider. If I charged her enough, yes I would re clean those areas at no additional charge thinking she would likely use me again at a premium price. If it was a small job to begin with, or I charged a low price then a minimum service charge would apply.
Remember nothing free, it costs us money to re clean.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You go out there and do the work...if you are a reputable cleaner you would have charged enough to reclean a little area.
It's like doing a lazy boy for free...Where's Odin?

Easy job, you get to retouch the customer, and she gets to be totally amazed AND will tell her friends how cool you are.

You guys who want to charge her a minimum are out of your minds.

Just ask her if she can work around YOUR schedule. Go by when you are in the area..it will take all of ten minutes.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
a bunch of you guys are saying that he doesnt know if she really sent him any referrals...how do you run your business and not know where your work is coming from??
i know where every single job comes from before we do any work..it is a simple question..you guys have to start tracking your work..how do you know where to advertise more or less?? i just cant believe that anyone would not where their work is coming from..
i have a 30 day warranty that says i will come touch up anything that you cant get cleaned up..it is a insurance policy that my customers love..only about 5% use it and we know pretty quick if someone abuses it, they are flagged in the computer and the next time they schedule if they sent us enough work to warrant the abuse then they are booked if not then they are not booked.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Bob Foster said:

I think most people would call the plumber back if a leak developed within even 60-90 days.
Or if something happened to an electrical circuit within 90 days. They would be expected to come and fix the problem.

The challenge with carpet cleaning is that its always an "accident", ie her husband tracked soil in. You did do the job right, but they messed it up.
I would go and touch it up. like Brian said.

-JB-

Name
JB
Wow!

To this entire thread, some good advice in both directions. (some pretty bad too)

Appears what you need to do is to decide if your gonna allow your company/your self, to be viewed as "just another carpet cleaning co.", or a true "service professional"?

Personally, I'd make sure to take care of it either as a part of some type of warranty/cuts. retention program; if it's w/in 60 days of their service date (30 days is my written policy that the client know they get; 60 days is my office policy to CMA, as some love to push the envelope).
Or just as a "courtesy" to the custy. I do it all the time for both reasons, the latter usually only happens once a month or so, and when they ask what they owe I always tell them N/C, 9 times out of 10, I'll walk out w/a $50 tip anyways, as I am sure to tell them what our my normal min order is and how I couldn't possibly charge them $150 for such a little problem.:roll:
Incidentally the second one usually bags A LOT more referrals, especially if they were tippers! :wink:

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Are insurance or warranty policies offered for a add on charge? If you offer this service as part of your regular cleaning do you charge the going rate in your area or are you more expensive?

By more expensive I mean spend more time in customers home doing little thing like, dusting baseboards, moving furniture, pre vacuuming and grooming as part of your regular service.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
no extra charge for us, it is one of the many things that sets us aside from the others. we have had new customer specifically ask about the warranty when booking..the rule is, anything that happens to your carpet for 30 days other than a flood or damage is covered if you cant clean it up with the spotter we leave you it is on the house.
that includes dog piss, cool aid, wine etc etc etc..that warranty has brought enough work itself to more than pay for any free work we have had to do. it is used by customers a few times per month at most and the clean up only takes 20 mins start to finish at most..and like stated it is really rare not to get tipped.
i love it when a new customer calls and tells michel that we just touched up her neighbors cat puke 2 weeks after we cleaner the job and she wants the same deal for her house..
not a big deal if you think out side of the box a little.
lots of guys say that they wont do anything for free...i dont ether, i look at it paying for advertising but i am paying for the best for of advertising..direct excited testimonials..

-JB-

Name
JB
If you offer this service as part of your regular cleaning do you charge the going rate in your area or are you more expensive?
Safe to say more expensive; not saying that boastfully, as I will do WHATEVER it takes to justify the prices we charge; you have to. But it is factored into our prices, which is why I don't stress over doing "free" touch ups.

By more expensive I mean spend more time in customers home doing little thing like, dusting baseboards, moving furniture, pre vacuuming and grooming as part of your regular service.

you decide...http://www.rochester-new-york-carpet-oriental-rug-cleaning-cleaner.com/carpet_cleaning.htm

Ernie G

We give our clients a one month no-fault Guarantee, meaning we'll come back within a month no matter whose fault it is. We hardly have anybody call us back, but when we go back we are the hero no matter whose fault it is. Case in point, we cleaned an empty house, the people were new to the area,(so a new client) off white carpet, I told them even if the movers tracked something in, or if they were not pleased with something we did, give us a call. About 2or 3 weeks after they moved in one of the kids threw up on the white carpet and we went and saved the day. They have referred several people to us, that was a good investmemt. It was a nine hundred dollar job, it should come with some kind-of warranty.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Did I mention that you always mention to the custy "We have a minimum but of course I won't be chargeing you that."?
If you give them the warranty then of course that isn't needed but you get the idea

Always let them know what they are getting because they might not realize it.

-JB-

Name
JB
[center:3qr6c0f8]By the time you read through this thread, you could have gone and cleaned it for her.[/center:3qr6c0f8]

LOL! :lol: :lol:

That about says it all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom