Guess my website needs help

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
When I started my business I threw my website together with the help of a friend. It was good for what it was, but now a ton of stuff is outdated. Pages aren't working anymore and much of the script is outdated and incompatible. Had a meeting with my SEO/Web person and we decided it was time for a total redo. I really don't have the background for this stuff. When I was informed how bad my website really was, it came a s a shock to me. I thought it was doing well. I get a lot of calls from Google searches.

Anyway, if you guys (and Meg) want a good laugh, here is my site.

www.apcarpetcleaners.com

@FredC I would be interested in your input.

Also, Lurkers, please don't call me or PM with your services. I'm on it. If you are not a lurker, then hit me up.

I see a lot of websites have gone to a scrolling approach. I hate those sites. I like the info and links presented in an easy to find format. Not the kind where a high resolution picture comes up as the background image and then you need to scroll for 5 minutes to see everything.

Below is an example of one of those scrolling websites with the info not "Bam" right there. https://toyfight.co/who/

I guess the correct term is "Parallax Scrolling". Man, that annoys me!

So I'm looking for a happy medium. One that is modern looking, but gets to the point fast without the stupid distracting background image and the constant scrolling.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

F

FB7777

I had big west marketing build a site

Not what I would consider to be as professional an experience as I expect ( initial errors in coding) they have an annual payment plan which is quite affordable

I paid $2000 over 12 months and they hosted it as well. Came out to $193/month

Pretty damn affordable and I'm happy with it

I would have rather given the money to Fred Cordell to build as I respect his abilities

Maybe he will do it for you

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
According to my web guy and gal the search engines like the sites better that are all on one page. My first website that I built on Yahoo Sitebuilder was cheesier than yours and had he old style push button menu. A customer told me one day just how out of date my site was and offered to build me a nice Wordpress site. Wordpress is very quirky and you have to really know what you are doing but is supposedly good for SEO. I barter my web services. I keep their carpets clean and they keep my website making money. You can click on my link if you want to look at it and steal any ideas.

Reactions: Nomad74

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Damon,
A good site developed from a template should cost no more than $5,000, and if you're not looking for all the bells and whistles, closer to $2,000. If someone tells you they have to build from scratch, move on.

Remember that the idea of your site is to get people to like your company. A big photo makes an impression instantly, something you can't do with words, so don't immediately discount that.

I'm with you as far as making things easy to find, so the big photo with a top bar drop-down menu would serve both purposes. Take a look at zillow and see if that look would work for you. It has a short scroll, and also has page links at the top.

PS: I like your current site. It has an retro look that will become ironic-cool again someday.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
No
Damon needs to stay away from photos
The new site is coming along. But we have a lot to do still. So far so good. My girl like to use stock pics and I like to use pics we make ourselves. One thing that has always bugged me on my current site is that cartoon guy with my head photoshopped onto him. That little cartoon is all over the internet. She grabbed that from somewhere and used it. I'll be happy to see that go. Then there was the coupon page. I hated that page since I'm not a coupon cleaner. I just never could figure out how to remove that page.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Looks like the new site is coming together. It's got that stupid Parallax Scrolling that I hate so much, but looks decent. Whatever it takes to make the Google crawlers happy. Not ready to launch yet, but I'm very impressed with what my SEO girl has been able to do. I'm moving my hosting from webs.com to wix.com. They are a bit easier to work with and less expensive.

Anyone big on Bing? I keep getting calls from them. They like to tell me they're the 2nd largest search engine in the world. I tell them I only care about Google. They don't like that. Anyway, I guess Bing doesn't like my current website but the new one should be compatible with their language, or whatever. I just wanna go suck some urine.

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
barely...and it takes forever to load (because it is still in beta?), and that opening video is kind of shitty

and who filmed it? Micheal J Fox?
Yes to all Fred. We’re working on better videos and images. But i think we have a good structure now. It’s been a busy week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom