Gum On Sidewalks.......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm volunteering a few hours and my Genesis for a city cleanup next week. The landlords and the city give me lots of works, so I told them I'd powerclean some of the gum spots in certain areas. Any suggestions for a prespray so that I don't leave a bunch of "clean" spots where I blast up the gum? I can clean the whole area, but would like it to look pretty even....cleanwise.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
most of it should just scrape up with a putty knife if it isn't to hot outside

whatever might be left I just clean the sidewalk with the turbo viper and the brush ring

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
rwcarpet said:
Any suggestions for a prespray so that I don't leave a bunch of "clean" spots where I blast up the gum? I can clean the whole area, but would like it to look pretty even....cleanwise.

I guess not one really read his question.

You could prespray with any heavy duty degreaser.

Couple I've used are Prochem's Wide Range cleaner or Unsmoke's Degrease All. Although I've never used it on concrete persay, a floor stripper would probably work pretty well too.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The contrast between the spot under the gum and the surrounding area is going to be determined by the age of the gum, and how greasy/dirty the surrounding areas are. If the gums old enough, and the rest of the area is bad, it can be very hard to get a match.
If you want to try to do it right, seek out a local pressure washing supplier, and they should be able to hook you up with a commercial use degreaser designed specifically for this with a high concentration of Sodium Hydroxide. If not too bad, go with Purple power, Greased lightning, or Industrial Purple. All contain SH, although 1/4 the strength a pw supplier will get you. You know a degreaser contains SH if you see warnings about it being caustic.

As far as the gum, trying to remove large amounts of it without pressure and HIGH HEAT is a waste of time.

Make sure you are ONLY using enough pressure/angle/distance from the tip to remove the gum fairly easy, as too much pressure will leave the spots even "cleaner", if you know what I mean.

RickL

Out Of Character said:
Yep, 4000psi and 250F they surrender fast, 275F and 1000psi and each spot fights for a good bit.

Yep and if you don't have the HIGH PSI and heat you won't be worried about the clean spots for long just getting the gum off will be a PITA. Well at least it is at a highly trafficked fitness center I do because there is tons of it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's going to be noticeable no matter what you use on it.

Goomer said it best:
The contrast between the spot under the gum and the surrounding area is going to be determined by the age of the gum, and how greasy/dirty the surrounding areas are.
We have a steamer with a wire brush attachment that works pretty good for gum but it still leaves a cleaner spot under the gum where it didn't get dirty because the gum covered the area.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well, this will be a journey for us. The areas they want to clean are naturally the worst areas and most visible. I checked out the areas and it looks like about 50-100 POG (pieces of gum) per square yard!I've told they I won't clean if there are cars parked nearby, and I want the side walk blocked. No liabilitys! I've got a couple different pressure guns with different tips. I'll experiment.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Robert;

I would prespray the gum with Citrus-Solv.

After about ten minutes, you will need some "zero" degree tips like #0005 or #0006 to cut thru the gum.

A 15 degree tip should finish it up the entire area.

Larry

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I haven't found any chem that will put a dent in sidewalk gum. Gum that has been outside for a while is usually "baked on".

I would start with a 25 degree tip and max out my heat/distance from tip/pressure, in that order, then move to a 15 degree if needed. You should be able to get into a rhythm peeling them off at the right angle.

Never underestimate the power of zero degree tips as they work great at causing DAMAGE and making surfaces look like bad artwork. Never start with a zero degree tip, always work your way down to it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Goomer said:
I haven't found any chem that will put a dent in sidewalk gum. Gum that has been outside for a while is usually "baked on".

I would start with a 25 degree tip and max out my heat/distance from tip/pressure, in that order, then move to a 15 degree if needed. You should be able to get into a rhythm peeling them off at the right angle.

Never underestimate the power of zero degree tips as they work great at causing DAMAGE and making surfaces look like bad artwork. Never start with a zero degree tip, always work your way down to it.

15* tip seemed to do the job, along with HEAT! The city sent their big sewer cleaning truck to help, but it couldn't peel up the gum with their needle point tip, and NO heat.

As with Murphys Law, something will go wrong, and it did. I blew out the safety relief valve on the heat exchange manifold, and also an extra I had laying around. Only took it to 1800 psi, but the valve is 8 years old and has seen alot of heat.

Back to the drawing board, and finding a replacement SV for the weekend.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
oh you used the TM????

hell i could have told you it wouldnt hardly touch the gum.....

15 tip, heat and 3500 psi....gum what gum??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom