Had to do something really distasteful today

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a call to pickup a houseful of fire damaged contents from a local franchise today.

They had packed it out but were struggling with quality issues (Poorly packed, no packing materials or not enough, a lot of items wet and still boxed, too much weight for some boxes) and the adjuster called us and said go get it from them.

Certainly we appreciated the work, but I can sure see where the competitor would be upset with losing a job.

Sent 3-box trucks and 8-tech's, they will run a little late tonight, but that goes with this business.

Monday we will go to the home meet with the homeowner and complete the process.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
You know, Richard, when I saw your thread heading the one word post I was sure I would see when I opened it was ...

"WORK!"

Forgive me for my lack of confidence in you!

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I applaud your compassion for your competition, Richard, but may I remind you that it is a jungle out there? Capitalism is a merciless but actually very efficient system. Sink or swim, baby. And I am sure that Big Dan will be happy to kick into your oh-so-very-bleeding heart that payroll at Chavez Restoration is always looming too!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:lol:
Hey I work.....sometimes....in between posts! :mrgreen:

Yea it's tough climate, but it was already in there shop. That's sales I would have pretty much counted as receivables.

Oh I didn't lose any sleep last night over it, but I also didn't get as much a usual either.

My son and three others were at a sewage loss from 5:00 until 1:00 AM.

My wife wanted to wait until he was home before we went to bed.
:roll:

It's a tough business, maybe it will keep him in school! LOL

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
RCTPKS said:
Yea it's tough climate, but it was already in there shop. That's sales I would have pretty much counted as receivables.

Oh I didn't lose any sleep last night over it ..

Ouch! I missed the fact that it was ALREADY IN THEIR SHOP! That must have led to some interesting "Emotional Dynamics" between them and your staff.

So are you going to "reach out" to your competitor and explain it wasn't your fault and that it was totally the adjuster who took the initiative to call you in?

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Well, now it is your chance to shine. Wow the client and make a Cheerleader out of the adjuster. Hint: Send e-mailed photos of the contents progress each day to the homeowner plus ask them what their priorities on what they want done first plus what is the most sentimental value to them. As you know, it all comes back to RELATIONSHIPS! (My guess is your competitor forgot this if in fact he has ever known it to start with!)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea, Dan ran over and talked with their employees, their boss was out.

I talked with our guys before they went out and told them to take it easy on them. Reminding them how we would feel.

We already made contact with the homeowner and they we thrilled we had their contents. We will meet with them at their house Monday and then later they will come down here to view their contents.

The competitor is green (pun intendend) he is new to the industry and seems to be struggling with the learning curve.

Oh well, we will take it! :wink:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Richard, I had a similar situation on Thursday. A large adjusting firm called me into a commercial flood for an assessment of what my cometitor was doing.

Seems there was a number of issues involved, but I had to report on anything from the way the client perceived how to job was running, through to equipment numbers and placement.

There were a number of areas where efficiency was not in their specs and they had dehus and airmovers drying carpet without zipwalls or similar to cut off the massive volume of unaffected area.

Large open planned call centre for a govt agency and they had maybe only 3000 sq ft affected which would be less than 1% of area.

Secondly they didn't have sufficient equipment BUT I made allowance for that due to the volume of work in the region from localised flooding at the time.

I kept my report 100% positive all the way and with the exception of the absence of zipwalls, was able to put a 'reasonable explanation' on anything that I felt was negligent.

I personally feel there is/has been a personality clash between the tech(s) and the inhouse property manager.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom