Hardwood floor recoats

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
What system are you using?.

Anyone using Basic's Tykote or Bona's prep?.

What kindo of results have you had?

What kind of trouble have you gotten into?

I've been thinking of adding the service but I'm realizing that there is more to it then I thought....ex:monkey pad / full stone restoration

thanks,
Albert

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
albert we have everything to do tykote
but have done a couple of what they call refinishs
very satisfied with the results its a thinner coat less solids
very easy to do
may have a large recoat comin up end of the month

I'm currently using the basic coating system and happy with the results. I personally roll my finish, comes out smoother tried using the t- bar far more complicating this way, bigger learning curve. Talk to Wayne Highlander, at Basic Coating he will explain why rolling is easier.Customer will love the results but the market for these jobs are few and far between.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Wayne, I agree their refinish process is much easier then applying their streetshoe. Apparantley Stanley Steemer just does the cleaning with the ift and skeaky. Is there a difference just in the cleaning alone?

Josh, I like the way you have the service on your website "hardwood floor cleaning and recoating". Some advertise as a subsitute for a full sanding but it's not.

What do you guys do when you have a floor that's generally a good candidate (topcoat still intact) but a few areas showing bare wood?.

Has the service added a significant amount to your gross?

thankks,
Albert

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
why would you acid a wood floor??

good thing we got these boards....

cuz i wanna know like albert to...no plan on full sand, but i have the stuff for clean and recoat...just wanna know about the coatings

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I'm just asking a question about the process each system uses from the people that have used them

Basic is a sandless refinish process that uses TyKote that you put on the wood finish that is already on the floor. This product is what creates the bonding process.

If I rememeber right when the sales guy explained it to me, he says the TyKoye etches the finish that is already on the floor to create the bonding process. Maybe acid isn't quite the right word (sounds more like it is a solvent) but you have to create a rough texture or one product has to be able to penetrate the other product so it will bond.

have you been watching football and drinking all day

I have used the Basic Coating but I have used the Bona product. It is ok and along the line as the Bridge Point wood floor product.

would like to know more about the roller process instead of the T-bar

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I have had Bona applied to my floor by my hardwood flooring subcontractor. It is a great finish. I personally applied it to a stairwell and hall in my home and it was pretty easy. After the first of the year I am recoating the rest of my downstairs area, about 800 sf with 2 more coats of Bona. I am going to use the Bona cleaner, prep pad with prep, marroon pad, finish, maroon pad, and another coat of finish. I have 3 big dogs that terrorize my floor and this stuff holds up real well.
Al

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
steve frasier said:
I'm just asking a question about the process each system uses from the people that have used them

Basic is a sandless refinish process that uses TyKote that you put on the wood finish that is already on the floor. This product is what creates the bonding process.

If I rememeber right when the sales guy explained it to me, he says the TyKoye etches the finish that is already on the floor to create the bonding process. Maybe acid isn't quite the right word (sounds more like it is a solvent) but you have to create a rough texture or one product has to be able to penetrate the other product so it will bond.

have you been watching football and drinking all day

I have used the Basic Coating but I have used the Bona product. It is ok and along the line as the Bridge Point wood floor product.

would like to know more about the roller process instead of the T-bar

i was just asking to...maybe it came out a little DUHHH....but i get people asking a couple every mth....so i need to know what to put on these things

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
you guys go to the basic site and get educated
i have a friend in barrie ont
he has done about 40 jobs in the last year tykote says the only thing
is you need to put 2 coats on the floor and it works great,

If ya have bare spots its a sand job

Albert, i think you were asking what is the process to see if the floor you were inspecting are canidates for the tykote system,was that right. if so,check to see if the previous finish has paste wax finish, if it does then you basically have to remove all finish to bare wood. if it doesn't have a paste finish, then check current finish with drops of water to see if the soaks up into the wood then you need a finish.if water stays but leaves a water mark then it time to use the tykote system. two ways you can add a finish wet/ dry screening with 150-180grit screen over the floor to etch it, or use the tykote as the bonding agent so finish can bond too.i prefer to roll the streetshoe 275 alot easier. if you have any questions please feel free and give me a call( 713) 545-1316 Josh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom