hardwood refinishing

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
do you go thru and putty every hole where the tackstrip nails were? Or is a floor that has had carpet over it for years to far gone to be just refinished? Any other tips?

Im supposed to do one now. :oops: Give anything you can please.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It really comes down to what kind of finish was on it before, what kinda of finish they want on it now.. And how much prep work you have to do. If you can do something as easy as a putty fill, clean, screen and recoat, it wouldn't be bad, but getting into sanding takes a little... ok a lot more practice. Up until recently we refused to recommend anybody in our area because they would leave the floor a wreck: lots of dust in the finish, chatter marks from the belt sanders, houses left unfinished for weeks. We finally have someone from out west who grew up in the refinish biz and does an amazing job but he's been doing it for 30 years.

Name
Nate W.
sweendogg said:
It really comes down to what kind of finish was on it before, what kinda of finish they want on it now.. And how much prep work you have to do. If you can do something as easy as a putty fill, clean, screen and recoat, it wouldn't be bad, but getting into sanding takes a little... ok a lot more practice. Up until recently we refused to recommend anybody in our area because they would leave the floor a wreck: lots of dust in the finish, chatter marks from the belt sanders, houses left unfinished for weeks. We finally have someone from out west who grew up in the refinish biz and does an amazing job but he's been doing it for 30 years.

Dang David, you have that problem too?? :lol: What kind of floor is it? I know a few floors can only be sanded so much till you can't do it anymore. Like Herringbone wood flooring. Any signs of termite damage?

R

rotovacguy

I did one refinish job, and will NEVER do it again......what a total PITA!!

I'd much rather suck rugs, or clean air ducts all day. Even if the money isn't as good, it's nowhere near as hard on your body and joints.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
do you plan to refinish it "right" , or use that phony bullonly restorer in a bottle CRAP they sell to CC'ers for an add on service ?

I know a little bit about wood in general and re-finishing , so I "might" know just enough to be dangerous re-finishing a floor....

doing it "right" takes proper equipment and experience.
The key to a great looking refinish job is in the prep work...ie. all the stuff that gets done before the urethane goes on.

It's not a job for someone with no experience imHo..."if" you're actually charging someone for the service

the "professional" re-finishers I know get anywhere from $3.50 to $7 pr SF to do a floor..."right"

if the prospect is into "distressed" flooring, that seems to be trendy in some homes, go for it.
cause distressed floors look like hell on purpose....

and if you're fortunate enough that they are into the distressed look, charge them extra for being stOOpit enough to think a new floor that's beat, burnt and gouged all to hell and looks cool ..

..L.T.A.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
just looked at it tried to get her to do it right then on the phone but when i got there remodelers were still working

i do it wed.

looked good how it is to be honest. i will just fill the nail holes. clean and abraid with floor machine and 2 coats of finish

im using the bridgepoint system in the catalog. Ill just take it slow and see what happens. Im dying to try this im getting alot of calls for it and i dont even advertise it.

sometimes you gotta bite the bullet

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Take some pictures Joel, I'm training next month and need some good before and afters :D

Really,good luck.

Albert

R

rotovacguy

Joel D said:
just looked at it tried to get her to do it right then on the phone but when i got there remodelers were still working

i do it wed.

looked good how it is to be honest. i will just fill the nail holes. clean and abraid with floor machine and 2 coats of finish

im using the bridgepoint system in the catalog. Ill just take it slow and see what happens. Im dying to try this im getting alot of calls for it and i dont even advertise it.

Ok, so you're just "recoating" it then, right?....Putting down some new poly?.... If so, that's not too bad, I thought you were refinishing it. Big difference. :mrgreen:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
rotovacguy said:
Joel D said:

i do it wed.

Ok, so you're just "recoating" it then, right?....Putting down some new poly?.... If so, that's not too bad, I thought you were refinishing it. Big difference. :mrgreen:

As meat said...that bridgepoint stuff is shit......

I been wanting to do the "clean and reseal" for quiet a while now...my biggest thing is using the right stuff...because i aint throwing that crap they give to CC..period the end, wont do it....

I want a good quailty poly...water base or oil i dont care...whast good

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I want a good quailty poly...water base or oil i dont care...whast good

I've heard and read that Basic Coatings has some good ones. Streetshoe is the name of one I've heard mentioned. If anything they got some cool videos that are longer then infomercials.

I've also heard from a guy a few months ago that RX for Wood was a great system. Humm, I asked a minute later how many jobs he's done with it and says 2 :roll:

http://www.basiccoatings.com/Pages/default.aspx

Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Make sure you are putting a polyurethane back on a polyurethane.. If it was an old wax finish you'll be in a heap of a mess. Remember Polyurethane finishes have not been around that long of time in retrospect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom