Has anyone Color Sealed a Saltillo floor?

Mikey P

Administrator
Got a guy interested, nice job.

Tried on my own floor and the seal does not stick to the "factory" finish, just want to see if any issues may come up.

Marc Imbesi

I didnt know Saltillo to have a "factory finish"....

Anyway, another situation that could arise is the fact that the grout is never nicely "gullied", and sometimes over and onto the tile itself, making it harder to seal b/c you'd be wiping the color seal off in those areas. There aint nuttin' nice or easy about Saltillo and Ive found it to be almost everywhere in the Valley. :x

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I haven't done it, but know some guys that have colorsealed grout on raw saltillo. They taped off the tiles, it can be done. As far as factory finish, you should be okay, but I'd definitely test at the actual job.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Like Bill said, you gotta tape all the edges of the tile.

fresh1

sometimes saltillio is installed with mortar for grout. The color seal might have a hard time sticking to the larger sand in the mix.

West

Name
Clint
I just turned down a saltillo job last week that they wanted color sealed (about 600sq.ft.). I have found many different types of saltillo tiles some with a factory finish on it and other just short of dirt baked in the sun. My main concern is color seal bleeding in the saltillo, thus making the job not look good, even taping would be difficult. Not something I would want to do, even for top dollar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom