Has anyone removed a Butler water pump clutch?

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
If you did, how is it done?

I already have the rebuilt CAT 435 pump on it's way from Butler. Seems like Butler is an exclusive source for this pump. I will have to send this one back. I want to save the clutch and set it up on an old CAT 430 pump I have in stock for emergencies.

Wait of 8 days for a pump from the east coast.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
IMG_0101.JPG

Looks like my set of jaws will do. I was afraid of stressing the pulley.

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We just do the Butler exchange.

Too many times I have seem guys try and save money doing it themselves and in the end could have really had like brand new from them for a few more dollars..

So I just call for a rebuilt unit and send the old back.

And that is only after about 3800 to 4500 (sometimes more) hours. Really a bargain.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Funny how these TM makers make sure there are no part numbers on things so you can't just go to an autoparts store and pick up a PITT clutch for half the price.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

For 60-70k we shouldn't have to fix anything for a long time!

The 10 year warranty doesn't cover this type of stuff?:headscratch:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
For 60-70k we shouldn't have to fix anything for a long time!

The 10 year warranty doesn't cover this type of stuff?:headscratch:

It is a 2003. I bought it last year used and paid waaaaaay less than that. Had 1750 hours. Now 2750 hours.

The pump failure may have been my fault.

Last edited:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Updated info is that my rebuilt pump from Butler will take only 7 days to get here.

The pulley came off really easy. I used a slightly longer shaft bolt to set the clutch on my replacement pump shaft. Everything else transferred over to the Cat 430 pump just fine and it was up and running quickly.

This modification does require deleting the chemical injection pump. Fine by me, I attended the Art Kelly School of Buggery.

The Butler is one simple rig to work on! I did this as a temporary fix, also preparing for future emergencies. Butler better not charge me more for the core without the clutch. There is a $200 charge for a new clutch on the rebuilt pump return program.

IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

Name
Matt Middleton
As Mark pointed out. The Butler exchange is always the way to go. No guess work. Simply remove and replace. Send in the old unit, you only pay the cost to refurbish the old pump.

steve_64

Funny how these TM makers make sure there are no part numbers on things so you can't just go to an autoparts store and pick up a PITT clutch for half the price.
A good store will figure it out for you. Some clerks know their cheet.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Not the ones I've been to. Napa, autozone, Oreilly etc. They don't want the liability if they sell you the wrong part.

Had to look at a Pitts website to figure mine out.

Reactions: steve_64

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
aren't there threads on that clutch that you can send
a bolt down the center to push it off the shaft......

i see that pulley distorting already from being pulled wrong

Mike Draper

My last straw with butler was the water pump. They made sure to have cat make a pump with their own proprietary sticker so you have to buy a pump from them at 2x the cost it should be and wait 8 days to get it. I swapped out another cat pump with identical RPM and water GPM for half the price and got my butler making money again. After that I said no more of that crap.

Reactions: Nomad74

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
aren't there threads on that clutch that you can send
a bolt down the center to push it off the shaft......

i see that pulley distorting already from being pulled wrong

Enlighten me Bawb, how is it being incorrectly pulled?

You can see in the pic that there are no threads on the clutch for removal, like you would see on a harmonic balancer.

It popped off really easy with the jaw puller using very little force and without any distortion.

My last straw with butler was the water pump. They made sure to have cat make a pump with their own proprietary sticker so you have to buy a pump from them at 2x the cost it should be and wait 8 days to get it. I swapped out another cat pump with identical RPM and water GPM for half the price and got my butler making money again. After that I said no more of that crap.

What pump did you use Mike?

The 2nd pic is of a Cat 430 pump I setup for the Butler with chemical injection deleted.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK NEWMAN......lol ....the center hole of the clutch has threads. ..3/4 maybe 7/8...if you run a correct size bolt down thru the threads it will push the clutch right off the shaft
Of course you have to remove the center bolt that' holding the clutch on first.....

Mike Draper

Enlighten me Bawb, how is it being incorrectly pulled?

You can see in the pic that there are no threads on the clutch for removal, like you would see on a harmonic balancer.

It popped off really easy with the jaw puller using very little force and without any distortion.

What pump did you use Mike?

The 2nd pic is of a Cat 430 pump I setup for the Butler with chemical injection deleted.

Sorry, Its been at least 8 years so i have no clue which pump it was.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
OK NEWMAN......lol ....the center hole of the clutch has threads. ..3/4 maybe 7/8...if you run a correct size bolt down thru the threads it will push the clutch right off the shaft
Of course you have to remove the center bolt that' holding the clutch on first.....

Just razzing you Bawb, you have forgotten more than I will ever learn! The only threads are on the pump shaft itself. Nuttin on the clutch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom