Have you ever ?

Luky

Name
Mario
Have you ever used the services of your competitors?
I have a rug 11x8 wool/viscose, I cleaned it twice since purchase, but I wasn't satisfied with the outcome, even though I use shampoo for delicate fabric and black brush( for a delicate fabric) with Oreck. I ended up with a soft, plush feel, with minimum browning. I knew that one of my competitors has a rug plant in his warehouse, so I decided to visit him and drop off a rug for a good wash pit
" spa treatment " The results were less than impressive. Browning, parts of viscose disintegrated in certain areas from raised pattern to turned and flat, and irregular shape were the major reason for dissatisfaction ( my wife was outraged ).
From all the signs I concluded what happened, but I would appreciate, it if you could comment on the process of cleaning ( hint - no centrifuge or wringer on-premises) I'll withhold the name of the company to protect their privacy and their reputation. I'd appreciate it if the rug plant operators -owners can chirp in so we can learn from them about what went wrong.
I give you later my conclusion and plans to resolve the issue. The cost of cleaning the rug was $220, drop off /pickup was done by me.

20230714_145024.jpg 20230714_145036.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Have you ever used the services of your competitors?
I have a rug 11x8 wool/viscose, I cleaned it twice since purchase, but I wasn't satisfied with the outcome, even though I use shampoo for delicate fabric and black brush( for a delicate fabric) with Oreck. I ended up with a soft, plush feel, with minimum browning. I knew that one of my competitors has a rug plant in his warehouse, so I decided to visit him and drop off a rug for a good wash pit
" spa treatment " The results were less than impressive. Browning, parts of viscose disintegrated in certain areas from raised pattern to turned and flat, and irregular shape were the major reason for dissatisfaction ( my wife was outraged ).
From all the signs I concluded what happened, but I would appreciate, it if you could comment on the process of cleaning ( hint - no centrifuge or wringer on-premises) I'll withhold the name of the company to protect their privacy and their reputation. I'd appreciate it if the rug plant operators -owners can chirp in so we can learn from them about what went wrong.
I give you later my conclusion and plans to resolve the issue. The cost of cleaning the rug was $220, drop off /pickup was done by me.

View attachment 123495 View attachment 123496
Viscose cleaning is a bit of a specialty. Chemax makes a rayon rug shampoo that really makes a difference. You never acid rinse a viscose rug. A neutral to slightly alkaline rinse is best. If they don't have a centrifuge, they really need to spend extra time extracting it. Quick drying helps to minimize browning. Part of the problem could be residues left in the rug from your cleaning attempts.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What do you mean when you said you use shampoo and a a black brush on an Orek? That tells me nothing about your process.

Luky

Name
Mario
What do you mean when you said you use shampoo and a black brush on an Orek? That tells me nothing about your process.
When I deal with delicate fibers, instead of using Brush Pro, I hover over the rug with Oreck Orbiter, ( Orbiter comes with 5 brushes; gray, black, green, blue, and orange; listed in order of thickness and stiffness of the bristles from very soft ( gray to very hard ( orange, usually designed for tiles& grout, mostly for concrete). The black brush is ideal for delicate fibers, it saved me a few times when my Tenant T1 was out of commission, I was able to finish cleaning the hardwood floors using Squeaky by Basic Coatings, agitated with Oreck and finished with premium quality microfiber pads, if needed finished with a thick cotton bonnet to bring the luster of the flooring back.
For rugs cleaned on customers' premises, I use Haitian cotton or Fine fabric shampoo, both Prochem.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Luky

Name
Mario
Viscose cleaning is a bit of a specialty. Chemax makes a rayon rug shampoo that makes a difference. You never acid rinse a viscose rug. A neutral to slightly alkaline rinse is best. If they don't have a centrifuge, they need to spend extra time extracting it. Quick drying helps to minimize browning. Part of the problem could be residues left in the rug from your cleaning attempts.
I'm not a self-proclaimed master cleaner, however, I cleaned hundreds of rugs, including oriental ones when I had to use a sea sponge, (dye stabilizer and make sure they won't bleed) the same one I use for short velvet with a screening method. I always use with no exception air movers to float the rugs( mine or the customer's ) to make sure all the rugs are dry before I leave the premises ( this avoids the guessing game about wicking up) On wool/viscose rug the viscose part is always raised and it's easily damageable when heavy OP is used, rug plant owner should know about the risk of doing so. I'm sure that rug looked more presentable before I took it for cleaning. I had a mild browning in two areas of the rug, after cleaning browning was happening on the entire rug. Your theory that I left residue in the rug won't stick, you'd think that after the rug is submerged in the cleaning solution and rinsed afterward, this shouldn't be an issue. I post the same attachment to refresh the memory about the irregular shape (misalignment) on both sides of the length of the rug and red spot. I believe after the rug was rinsed, it wasn't wrung ( maybe squeegeed out if that and then hung wet on the roll and got pulled on the sides by the weight of the entire rug. Tell me if my theory is wrong. I would inspect the rug in the warehouse, but the receiving area is used also as a garage for the two vans, so I opted not to do so. On top of that, I trusted the owner would have someone inspect the rug, before snapping a " clean " sticker on the rug. After I brought it home, my wife was less critical of the condition of the rug(to protect me from more stress ) I took it personally, I chose the shop because I know the owner and I trusted him immensely. Since I live close to the rug plant, I decided to take it back, unrolled it on the ground, and had a lady from the office document all my findings and inform the owner of the shop of the situation He called me within a minute, even though he was out of state. I accept nothing less than a full refund for the cleaning of this particular rug and I propose that instead of disposal, they can donate it if they feel the rug is in presentable shape. Yes, I'm a..hole.

20230714_145024.jpg 20230714_145036.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm not a self-proclaimed master cleaner, however, I cleaned hundreds of rugs, including oriental ones when I had to use a sea sponge, (dye stabilizer and make sure they won't bleed) the same one I use for short velvet with a screening method. I always use with no exception air movers to float the rugs( mine or the customer's ) to make sure all the rugs are dry before I leave the premises ( this avoids the guessing game about wicking up) On wool/viscose rug the viscose part is always raised and it's easily damageable when heavy OP is used, rug plant owner should know about the risk of doing so. I'm sure that rug looked more presentable before I took it for cleaning. I had a mild browning in two areas of the rug, after cleaning browning was happening on the entire rug. Your theory that I left residue in the rug won't stick, you'd think that after the rug is submerged in the cleaning solution and rinsed afterward, this shouldn't be an issue. I post the same attachment to refresh the memory about the irregular shape (misalignment) on both sides of the length of the rug and red spot. I believe after the rug was rinsed, it wasn't wrung ( maybe squeegeed out if that and then hung wet on the roll and got pulled on the sides by the weight of the entire rug. Tell me if my theory is wrong. I would inspect the rug in the warehouse, but the receiving area is used also as a garage for the two vans, so I opted not to do so. On top of that, I trusted the owner would have someone inspect the rug, before snapping a " clean " sticker on the rug. After I brought it home, my wife was less critical of the condition of the rug(to protect me from more stress ) I took it personally, I chose the shop because I know the owner and I trusted him immensely. Since I live close to the rug plant, I decided to take it back, unrolled it on the ground, and had a lady from the office document all my findings and inform the owner of the shop of the situation He called me within a minute, even though he was out of state. I accept nothing less than a full refund for the cleaning of this particular rug and I propose that instead of disposal, they can donate it if they feel the rug is in presentable shape. Yes, I'm a..hole.

View attachment 123519 View attachment 123520
I think you handled it properly. As for needing to take this specific rug to be washed, I don't see a need for that. It could've been cleaned directly on site with just a wand after treating it with a neutral ph product. All of the fancy buffing/op on natural fibers is a waste of time.

My reason: natural fibers aBsorb all chemicals and oils. Meaning it takes time and more water to flush it out. A simple shampooing and buffing isn't going to do what a good flushing if a carpet wand will do.
Synthetic fiber aDsorb oils and chemicals. Meaning all foreign material just sticks to the exterior of the fibers. That is where you'll see better results if you think buffing is the best method for the environment, because the pad will collect more of the funk and treatment.

As for the stretching and browning, yes the idiot rug shop should have left it flat when drying so it would've dried evenly without browning and you do deserve a refund and maybe a check for what the value of the rug is since they damaged it.

Just my thoughts, water is good to clean with. The only thing I feel is necessary in deciding whether to clean on site or in rug shop is does the dye bleed? Organic or synthetic dye? I bled a rug once in my career and it was a good lesson learned

Luky

Name
Mario
I think you handled it properly. As for needing to take this specific rug to be washed, I don't see a need for that. It could've been cleaned directly on site with just a wand after treating it with a neutral ph product. All of the fancy buffing/op on natural fibers is a waste of time.

My reason: natural fibers aBsorb all chemicals and oils. Meaning it takes time and more water to flush it out. A simple shampooing and buffing isn't going to do what a good flushing if a carpet wand will do.
Synthetic fiber aDsorb oils and chemicals. Meaning all foreign material just sticks to the exterior of the fibers. That is where you'll see better results if you think buffing is the best method for the environment, because the pad will collect more of the funk and treatment.

As for the stretching and browning, yes the idiot rug shop should have left it flat when drying so it would've dried evenly without browning and you do deserve a refund and maybe a check for what the value of the rug is since they damaged it.

Just my thoughts, water is good to clean with. The only thing I feel is necessary in deciding whether to clean on site or in rug shop is does the dye bleed? Organic or synthetic dye? I bled a rug once in my career and it was a good lesson learned
Thank you for your input. I wasn't thinking to get reimbursed for the value of the rug( I didn't like the rug anyway ) I'd love to calm down the whole situation and from now on avoid viscose in the rug at all costs.

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thank you for your input. I wasn't thinking to get reimbursed for the value of the rug( I didn't like the rug anyway ) I'd love to calm down the whole situation and from now on avoid viscose in the rug at all costs.
I'm not sure, avoiding is a great idea crap fabric hard to deal with.

I wonder black soft brushes on a crb and compound?

The only problem is lack of pop and brightener.

I use upholstery products and a upholstery pro low moisture the other factor is texture and distortion.

These rugs are a bad idea

Luky

Name
Mario
I'm not sure, avoiding is a great idea crap fabric hard to deal with.

I wonder black soft brushes on a crb and compound?

The only problem is lack of pop and brightener.

I use upholstery products and a upholstery Pro low moisture the other factor is texture and distortion.

These rugs are a bad idea
There is somewhere in another thread regarding Made in Turkey rugs. I cleaned a few of those wondering if they going to disintegrate before my eyes, so far, so good, but there is going to be a day when I lose. Using compound never crossed my mind, I do carry polymer-based upholstery pre-spray though.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Honestly Im a label guy I see viscose and let people know this is paper, and not a solid paper.

It's a risky fabric.

They say go I do my best to minimize problems.

Low moisture push pile one direction.

I'm looking for appearance.

Not total soil removal.

Pit washing is a lot more risk

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We have a rug shop, but when we get one with Viscose we clean it with the truckmount. Acid prespray/acid rinse
You should go to Chemax's website and read their tutorial on cleaning viscose rugs. Acids are not the answer according to them and they have developed a Rayon rug shampoo for use on viscose rugs. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it minimizes textural distortion and cleans well.

Restore-Dry

Name
Sam Mawardi
Viscose fibers can be easily damaged by water and are prone to shrinkage, discoloration, and distortion when wet. Avoid using water-based cleaning solutions or steam cleaning on viscose rugs.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Viscose fibers can be easily damaged by water and are prone to shrinkage, discoloration, and distortion when wet. Avoid using water-based cleaning solutions or steam cleaning on viscose rugs.
I clean them often. With the right chemistry, it's a lot easier. Qualify the customer first. We always clean at the customers risk but the majority of the time they come out pretty good. If they have major stains or heavy urine, we just return them to the customer. Not worth it to try to restore those rugs. That's where a lot of damage can occur.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom