Head Gasket?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I checked my oil today and it was 1/8 inch over the full mark. :shock: When I change the oil I leave it at about 1/8 inch under the mark.

My coolant won't stay within the add and fill marks either but it has done that since I bought the TM., but there is always 1/2 inch in the bottom of the overflow.

I'm draining the oil now to see if I can see water in ,but will I be able to see water in the oil? Won't the water sink?

Any at home tests w/o a pressure gage?

Thanks for any input,
Keith

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
If there is a significant amount of water in the oil you'll know. It'll have a milky look to it. Intake gasket could also cause you to lose water into the oil. I know many of the gm engines are known for intake gasket issues.

Is it running rough or hot?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I should Have included that it is a 25 horse Kohler on a Prochem Peak. Seems to be running good though.

Dacnomania

Make sure you always check the coolant level when the unit is completely cold and not running, if you don't the levels will read different depending on how hot the engine is, and if there is water in the oil you will be able to tell, it will usually be slightly milky or if it's sat for awhile there will be seperation, it is possible that you went a little quickly when you changed the oil last time or there was oil in other parts of the engine that didn't drain down into the oil pan, causing you to slightly over fill it.

Able 1

Name
Keith
My van sat all day today so the engine temp. was not the issue. You might be right that the oil was on parts but I run the motor before I drain it seem to drain faster. I always put in the same amount almost two quarts. I thought only water pump oil gets milky with water.

The oil looks ok don't see any seperation. The water will float I thought it would sink

Have to clean a Hollywood Video tonight at mid night and i'll be running for about 3 hours straight, I should definatly know after that.

Probably just over reacting wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks
Keith

Dacnomania

Usually if you have a head gasket issue something else will make it apparent before oil/coolant levels, smoking, excessive noise, rough running etc... and having worked at jiffy lube for a few years it's really common when a car comes in after a good long drive and gets serviced right away for the customer to come back with a the oil level higher than the fill line. All I can figure is it takes some time even for the thinner warmer oil that drains so well to work it's way through the heads and down to the oil pan...

and yes if you let it sit for a bit first you will get a nice thick film of water atop the oil. If there is water contaminating the oil that is.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man ... talk to me about head gasket issues ... I've had a few of late. For me, the first sign of a head gasket failure is the spray of oil on the inside of my van.

Of course, I keep my van clean. Most CC vans I see are so filthy that you couldn't tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom